Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong

If you want good gas milage ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #16

Like many others, I would like to get better MPG, but that is not why I track mine. My reason for tracking MPG's is to ensure that that engine is running as it should. While I do my maintenance, as I should, poor MPG could be a sign that something is not right.
Also, since we boon dock a fair amount and use the generator, MPG's go out the window.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My standard answer to the question, What kind of gas mileage does this thing get? Usually someone who does not own an MH. My reply, is, If miles per gallon is in the equation, then a person should not get and MH. I don't have that in my equation. I worked hard to get where I am today. I DON'T CARE WHAT MY MPG IS. Well I really do. If it drops, that means something is not right and I will have the rig looked at. But for me its, ON THE ROAD!!!!!!
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
What's a Ford SEMIs???

The one I drove was a Ford 8000 Gas Conventional Tractor pulling a flatbed trailer with sides.. Does this answer your question....

I recall back in 2006 or 2007 (7 I think) there was a lot of chatter about the 14MPG Motor home... i do not knwo if such exists but I know this Class A was pushing it 13.8 as I came east across Texas...... With a 100MPH (roughly and average) Tail wind.

I am talking dead astern.. The tumble weeds were going straight down the road and passing me like I had the brakes on.. Was nice till I exited.. then the cross wind was a witch.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The one I drove was a Ford 8000 Gas Conventional Tractor pulling a flatbed trailer with sides.. Does this answer your question....

I recall back in 2006 or 2007 (7 I think) there was a lot of chatter about the 14MPG Motor home... i do not knwo if such exists but I know this Class A was pushing it 13.8 as I came east across Texas...... With a 100MPH (roughly and average) Tail wind.

I am talking dead astern.. The tumble weeds were going straight down the road and passing me like I had the brakes on.. Was nice till I exited.. then the cross wind was a witch.
Yes Sir that does answer my facetious question.

I just get a little beside myself when someone says (semi truck), when there is no such thing.
Thanks

Back on tailwinds,
I had an incident like that coming east out of Nebraska once in the winter. I was driving a Pete with the older Cummins and since it was not pulling much power, the engine heat all but disappeared. Not something I would want to experiance in the motorhome. But fuel milage was way up there, not burning much....
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #20

Here's a good way to look at the question of mileage. I get 6mpg and thus burn 10 gal hour. Multiply 10 X the price per gallon and that's how much it costs me to move it. It's so great that the hourly cost dropped from $40 to $27 or so.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I get 8 mpg and I don't care. (makes a good song tittle) If I run out of cash I stay put and still use the MH. If I enjoyed the water I would own a boat.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
Talk about a leading title. Who doesn't want more miles per gallon? As a newby to the RV world, one thing I note whenever I give a friend a "tour" of my 2014
Winnebago Trend. A 24 footer, They always ask without fail ,whats the mileage? Then from there it usually leads to a tale of some person they knew with a class A that was gettin' a rompin' stompin' six miles to the gallon with a hundred gallon fuel tank to keep 'em on the road. I gotta admit it was an issue when I first became interested in RV's. Currently my trend aka HACHI-BEI is inching up to 18 mpg with its new TOYO tires and carefull driving. 62-65 MPH seems to do the trick. Gotta admit rolling along burning six MPG seems painfull to me.
I guess thats why a recent story in the New York Times struck me. The Evironmental Protection Agency (EPA) is issueing new standards that will require large truck manufacturer's to increase fuel efficiency by about 1/3. Thats up from an average 6 miles a gallon, the current rate. This applys to trucks weighing up to 80,000 pounds. This to be done between calender years 2019-2027. The EPA's efforts with smaller cars and trucks has been remarkable prompting this effort toward larger vehicles. One example they hold up is the new line of Ford trucks which are now getting 23 MPG or better . With Larger vehicles such as 18 wheelers the savings could be considerable. Imagine in the future a 40 footer with toad getting 12, perhaps 15 MPG instead of 6,7, or 8MPG.
It sure would be nice to see technology make some inroads in the gas mileage wars. Just thought I'd post this here for any comments or what ever. Gas mileage seems to be a subject that draws lots of interest.

are you familiar with mechanical engineering? I guess its easy to dream.
I would be more impressed if the EPA pumped catalytic convertered exhaust into their offices.
And how are you calculating your fuel efficiency? I will call shenanigans on 17mpg on any RV except maybe a class B. And definitely not at the speeds stated.

Ford pulled that sillyness with the ecoboost. Best mpg observed at 45mph. Of course that fact was glossed over.
I think you would see less problems if folks pedaled a bicycle for the 15 miles of commuting they do daily the world would be a better place.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post

If you want good gas milage ...

Do the sq footage calculations of that rig. I bet its more than 70 sq ft.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #24

They all get bad and worse, if your worried about mpg you probably can't afford one Tracking mpg anymore is a waste of time, the on board computer will alert you of a problem well before your fuel mileage will.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #25

I get 15 mpg pulling a toad. But I don't have the space some of you do.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If anyone asks you your MPG, tell them "I don't know". When you own a RV you can't possibly care about MPG. If you do you shouldn't own one.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
They all get bad and worse, if your worried about mpg you probably can't afford one Tracking mpg anymore is a waste of time, the on board computer will alert you of a problem well before your fuel mileage will.
lol or just havent justified its practicality.
Friend of mine talked me into an RV when we talked about it years ago. He was towing a trailer with a diesel pickup and staying in hotels/motels along the way.
Our costs of fuel were about the same. Travel time within a couple hours. Setup time about the same. The one redeeming quality? Once we were setup at our destination there was no need to leave until Sunday evening.
And of course sleeping in that extra hour in the morning.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #28

RV miles per gallon, who wants more?

The thing that matters the most with mileage is that darn right foot. If I use tow/haul mode, with a TOAD I can get to 8.5 with a light right foot. If I use cruise < 7.0. Right foot heavy 7.5.