Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

RV miles per gallon, who wants more?

Talk about a leading title. Who doesn't want more miles per gallon? As a newby to the RV world, one thing I note whenever I give a friend a "tour" of my 2014
Winnebago Trend. A 24 footer, They always ask without fail ,whats the mileage? Then from there it usually leads to a tale of some person they knew with a class A that was gettin' a rompin' stompin' six miles to the gallon with a hundred gallon fuel tank to keep 'em on the road. I gotta admit it was an issue when I first became interested in RV's. Currently my trend aka HACHI-BEI is inching up to 18 mpg with its new TOYO tires and carefull driving. 62-65 MPH seems to do the trick. Gotta admit rolling along burning six MPG seems painfull to me.
I guess thats why a recent story in the New York Times struck me. The Evironmental Protection Agency (EPA) is issueing new standards that will require large truck manufacturer's to increase fuel efficiency by about 1/3. Thats up from an average 6 miles a gallon, the current rate. This applys to trucks weighing up to 80,000 pounds. This to be done between calender years 2019-2027. The EPA's efforts with smaller cars and trucks has been remarkable prompting this effort toward larger vehicles. One example they hold up is the new line of Ford trucks which are now getting 23 MPG or better . With Larger vehicles such as 18 wheelers the savings could be considerable. Imagine in the future a 40 footer with toad getting 12, perhaps 15 MPG instead of 6,7, or 8MPG.
It sure would be nice to see technology make some inroads in the gas mileage wars. Just thought I'd post this here for any comments or what ever. Gas mileage seems to be a subject that draws lots of interest.
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Don't know about A's, but I'm getting between 11.5 and 12.5 out of my '06 F350 6.0 & 5th wheel while grossing up to 22k. It's all in the engine technology and wind resistance (combining streamlining and speed). A couple of people I know with new HDT tow vehicles get much better, but then they've higher maintenance costs.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

We seem to stick to the western states so only about 2500 miles per year following the sun. When gas prices go up to ten bucks a gallon and everyone freaks out, I'll buy a marathon for around fifty thousand.
I can't wait!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
as soon as they get the mileage up, if they do, the gov't will increase fuel taxes and we'll be paying the same as if we were getting 6 mpg. my 40 DP gets about 7.5
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much MPG do Ford SEMIs get?
Back when I was younger my brother drove a Ken-worth with a Detroit Diesel in it.. the one Penski designed.. he loved that ride.. Seems it did one thing twice as well as other Diesels... It passed fuel stations. Dang thing got double digit MPG loaded and it was plated for not 80,000 but 80 TONS 160,000 pounds (Steel hauler) his bobtail MPG was better than my car!!!!. Yes they can build 'em to eek every erg of energy out of a drop of fuel.... But they do not.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I get 6.6 with 300 gallons of fuel pushing 50,000 pounds and smiling all the way
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

RV miles per gallon, who wants more?

Some of us are more "seasoned" and won't be in the pasture long nuff to see the end results.
My perspective may be viewed as a a bit tainted. I get about 7.5. But, being full time, we move everything we own an average of 200 miles per move, for less than 100 bucks. The big % of the annual miles is via toad.
My average MH fuel and maintenance cost is about 1/3 what I was paying in R/E taxes.
So, to some of us, it just doesn't matter.
Hey, if I don't see you in the future, perhaps I will see you in the pasture.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

Well i am getting 8.5 miles a galon ( at LPG price 0,28 euro cents here in europe a liter ,thats 1,05 euro a gallon)
Thats a 28 foot Thor 2005 (on michelin camper tyres at 80 psi)
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The bottom line is that if you really have to worry about MPG, you are in the wrong hobby. I keep records and check mine...more out of habit than anything else. I don't like it when the price goes up or my MPG goes down...but I go anyway.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Talking

If you have to ask, You can't afford it!
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The bottom line is that if you really have to worry about MPG, you are in the wrong hobby. I keep records and check mine...more out of habit than anything else. I don't like it when the price goes up or my MPG goes down...but I go anyway.
Amen! I'm always amused by the mpg topics. I've yet to hear of someone that got into RVing for the mileage, it's all about the fun for me.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
How much MPG do Ford SEMIs get?
Back when I was younger my brother drove a Ken-worth with a Detroit Diesel in it.. the one Penski designed.. he loved that ride.. Seems it did one thing twice as well as other Diesels... It passed fuel stations. Dang thing got double digit MPG loaded and it was plated for not 80,000 but 80 TONS 160,000 pounds (Steel hauler) his bobtail MPG was better than my car!!!!. Yes they can build 'em to eek every erg of energy out of a drop of fuel.... But they do not.

What's a Ford SEMIs???
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
What's a Ford SEMIs???
Today they are Sterling badge instead of Ford.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Don't know about A's, but I'm getting between 11.5 and 12.5 out of my '06 F350 6.0 & 5th wheel while grossing up to 22k. It's all in the engine technology and wind resistance (combining streamlining and speed). A couple of people I know with new HDT tow vehicles get much better, but then they've higher maintenance costs.
Checking to see if I'm reading this correctly.... your friends with HDT rigs are getting better than 12.5 mpg's?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote