Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #29
Whenever I put the antenna up, I hang my ignition key from the handle. The keys don't come off of there until I lower the antenna.

2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #30
Good idea!

Wayne & Carol Storts
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, 1983 Pace Arrow
Talysen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - I would bet they are going in for service. We have mechanical slides (electric and gears) so there is a crank to use if the slide does not go in. This could be hydraulic and I have no idea how you would 'crank' that in.
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #32
Coming home from repair shop one year (can't remember why I had to go to the shop) - it had snowed and as I pulled onto the parking area, I slid the 5er over into a tree. Cost $7,000 for that repair including a complete new roof. This past winter we were taking off for trip south, I pulled into a fuel station and as I pulled out I clipped an aux. fuel pump (which was shut off). Tore the rear cap and fender off the fiver. Didn't do the pump any good either. That was a bit over $6,000. Thank God for American Family Insurance. I will always look out for the infamous tail-swing.

Interesting thing is, the shop that fixed the roof was about to go out of business and we kept them open for another couple of months. We did not know this until later.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Harry and I have a system that we do not mess with ever. We both do a walk-around when getting ready to take off but then he gets inside and drives slowly forward completely away from the camp site while I stay outside ready to wave him down if I see anything at all alarming.
GREAT idea!
2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #34
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Whenever I put the antenna up, I hang my ignition key from the handle. The keys don't come off of there until I lower the antenna.

That sounds like a good idea.
Nothing like driving down the road towards an underpass, looking out the window at the shadow and thinking why is there something sticking up on top or the camper? Oh yeah......

Mark and Cecelia
2014 cougar high country
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #35
I haven't taken my first TT out yet but I've been reading these experiences and thanks for sharing them. I'm in the process of making a checklist for coming and going. Even though I'm doing that I'm sure I'm going to have a "should have put that on the checklist moment or moments", not to mention all the things that can happen on the road....Guess all this goes with the experience.
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #36
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I have seen some colored plastic bands that snap around the steering wheel with things like antennae, power line, water line, jack pads, etc. written on them. As each one is completed you pull it off the wheel. When you are ready to goand a band is still on the wheel! You not ready to go. I haven't found where to buy them yet. These seem like the perfect reminder and I'll get a set when I find out where they are.
I got mine at Camping World on sale. Seems like it was around $10. Everyone wants to help get us on the road, but that means things get missed. I use the reminders and when everything is off the steering wheel, it is time to walk around for a last check before departure.
Brad & Bonnie
2007 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Bfmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #37
Like everyone has said, do a walk around and use a check list. PLEASE, don't be in a hurry. Example: Leaving the Goshen County Park, Sunday morning, I took a right hand turn and proceeded to pass many Amish buggies on the road, going to or coming from church. At the first stop sign I took a left hand turn to the expressway. There was a big BANG, I ck'd mirrors and my basement slide was out like an airplane wing. Embarrassed, I slammed on the brakes, jumped out and secured the slide. When I got home, I had somebodys mailbox in my basement. But what if I had clipped a horses leg, or a buggy wheel ??? That wouldn't be funny.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #38
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
When I first got my MH I tended to treat moving it as I did with any other vehicle, just start it up & go. I then got setup with a 50 amp receptacle outside my garage. The next time I moved it, it resulted in pulling the electrical line out of the outlet and bending things up a little. Did I learn from that? Heck no, I had to do it again!

This time I ran over the cord and ripped it right out of the transfer switch, which promptly broke into a zillion pieces. It also creased the door panel (which I mostly straightened). As the second lesson cost me $1,200, it finally sunk in. Now I walk around the coach, even if I know everything is disconnected, EVEN if I am only moving it to another spot in the driveway. Never be in a hurry, and always do that final check, always.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #39
Winnebago Owners Club
Swing was one of the first issues I encountered. First time home down the driveway to park our 43 5er. 90 turn at the end so I stayed close to the fence so I could make the turn.

Everything was fine. Made the turn and parked the unit fine. Then I noticed that in our "absence" someone (@#$%%@) had knocked down part of our very old split rail fence. I had not noticed the fence was down during the drive in but I was not paying attention to the condition of the fence. I was very annoyed as the rails are well over 100 years old.

Then DW pointed out some wood fibers on the rear stabilizer jack on the trailer. The someone (@#%%@) was soon out there with a post hole auger and tools to quickly repair the damage before anyone could see what I had done. Fortunately the old posts had pretty much rotted off so no damage to the 5er and a quick post replacement from the post stash put everything back in order.

I am used to the driveway now but anytime I have a hard turn, DW keeps an eye on the swing if there is any doubt about clearance.
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
Just flagged down a driver pulling out of the park in a fifth wheel this morning. His satellite antenna was still up. Could have been an expensive over-site.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #41
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Swing was one of the first issues I encountered. anytime I have a hard turn, DW keeps an eye on the swing if there is any doubt about clearance.
Gordon Dewald
We have not had a swing since our kids grew up!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I apologize!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Right after we got the MH in 2012 I was going across town to fuel up and drove out of the driveway with the power cord dragging behind! Fortunately one of my neighbors saw what was happening and flagged me down. He is an RV'er also. Boy, was I embarrassed!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote