Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

RV Mishaps

Has anyone driven off with their antenna or dish up, stairs out etc. and had damages? Is this a fairly common occurrence, or is it just me? How much should it cost me for repairs (ballpark). I have heard stories and wonder if they are blown out of proportion. Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I imagine at least 90% of RVers have done something similar, especially the "antenna up" thing. Repair costs are dependent upon the extent of the damage, and how handy you are to make repairs yourself!

Steps that are working correctly on newer motorhomes will retract automatically when the engine is started, though I don't know how that works on TTs.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #3

I have seen some colored plastic bands that snap around the steering wheel with things like antennae, power line, water line, jack pads, etc. written on them. As each one is completed you pull it off the wheel. When you are ready to goand a band is still on the wheel! You not ready to go. I haven't found where to buy them yet. These seem like the perfect reminder and I'll get a set when I find out where they are.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I have seen some colored plastic bands that snap around the steering wheel with things like antennae, power line, water line, jack pads, etc. written on them. As each one is completed you pull it off the wheel. When you are ready to goand a band is still on the wheel! You not ready to go. I haven't found where to buy them yet. These seem like the perfect reminder and I'll get a set when I find out where they are.
RVminders: Safety warning system for RVs

$18 seems pretty pricey to me. I'd just make my own.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I use a checklist ALWAYS. I have one for arrival (not as critical) and one for departure. I use an iPad app called RV Checklists that I have tailored to my specific coach. When you tap an item, a check mark appears to let you know you have done that. This is very helpful since I always find that friends come by while I am preparing to depart to say goodbye and without the check marks I would lose track of what I have done and not done. I recommend always finishing with a careful visual walkaround no matter what method is used. With RV techs getting $125 or more per hour, I am extremely careful about my departure routine.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

I always walk around before pulling out. Habit I picked up in my truck driving days. Had to walk around every time just to make sure no one had messed with my truck. Its amazing some of the stupid things I find that I have forgotten. I haven't broken anything YET.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have left the antenna up once. I was installing a new LED TV in the driveway at home. My spotter (DW) signaled me to stop as I was backing out of driveway. I always walk around our MH and a good ways down the road from left to right for a last check before leaving. So far, no oop's.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talysen1 View Post
Has anyone driven off with their antenna or dish up, stairs out etc. and had damages? Is this a fairly common occurrence, or is it just me? How much should it cost me for repairs (ballpark). I have heard stories and wonder if they are blown out of proportion. Thanks for any help.
Talysen1
I once destroyed the head of my Winegard Batwing TV antenna on a tree branch in a campground ... (I replaced it for <$50).
Since then always I clip a clothes pin onto the antenna crank handle when the antenna is DOWN.
I clip the cloths pin onto one of the spokes of the steering wheel whenever I crank the antenna UP).

Another time I did $2500 damage to my rear fiberglass cap when I backed into a tree ...(but you can't fix stupid).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Harry and I have a system that we do not mess with ever. We both do a walk-around when getting ready to take off but then he gets inside and drives slowly forward completely away from the camp site while I stay outside ready to wave him down if I see anything at all alarming. So far, I have caught the Jeep toad with a locked steering wheel twice (have since gotten rid of that Jeep), a slideout topper where the topper had not rolled up right & was flapping, a bay door unlocked (my job failure!), an almost flat tire on the Jeep, and a few little things we had failed to pick up. We have done this for so long it is pure habit now. It always pays to double check things as the coach is slowly moving.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #10

yes , yes and yes been there done that, add to the list, forgot to unplug electric, forgot to lower roof vent BEFOR it rains !
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

I've made a checklist for arrival, and another for departure. I use it religiously with the DW double checking. I have not had any issues yet. I think the biggest reason for mishaps is we tend to become complacent with having done it many times and we accidently omit a check. It can become expensive.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #12

Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Check lists...!! Yesterday, I stopped a class A that was pulling out with their door shade still extended!! They were very grateful!!

One rule that I ALWAYS FOLLOW is the final "exterior walk around" after I've started the engine.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzly View Post
He couldn't have missed the slides being out - they probably wouldn't retract - ya think?