RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #15

Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Are you planning to stay in Michigan through the winter? If so, you need to think about some other things other than a space heater. Insulation, single pane windows?, keeping snow off your roof, water pipes freezing, skirting around the RV, and if using your furnace, also, you'll need a BIG propane tank.

Thank you for all the advice, i am staying in Michigan through the winter...I have wrapped the bottoms of my coach in 2 in R-10 foam board insulation, bought a slide cover, and had vent covers installed. I just purchased vent pillows for inside. The coach is a 2020 extended season with underbelly covered, insulated and heated. Hoping with the foam board insulation as skirting it will help....I wrapped my low point drain and fresh water drain and overflow values in foam and insulated tape. I am looking into getting a 100gallon propane tank today actually and have insulated the doors on my passthrough storage with foam board as well. I have all but my kitchen window with plastic on them... Left my kitchen window with access to open for cooking etc...hoping i am on the right road to surviving the winter... Any other tips to help????

Miss Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #16

TT wiring and winter use

There are some excellent posts above. As you suggest, people have had bad results with RV electrical outlets, but most have good results. Theoretically RV and TT wiring meet the same national wiring codes as stick and brick homes do.

Cheap TT's use the cheapest outlets, so they may have more defects and failures. Otherwise any home electric heater will work fine. I have a common "milk house heater" I run when temperatures are above freezing.

Using an electric space heater in below freezing weather almost certainly means plumbing in a "cheap" TT will freeze. The propane furnace may or may not provide heat to plumbing spaces.

I have a cheap 2018 Dutchman Kodiak Cub TT. It is advertise as "All Season" and having an "enclosed and heated underbelly". Water, waste tanks, and some plumbing pipes are in that space. The space was covered, but not sealed. Wind froze water pipes within 2 hours of dropping to 29 degrees even with the furnace running.

As delivered, you can only use the plumbing in above freezing weather. I can still use the TT in Wisconsin in Feb, but not the plumbing. Using an electric space heater with wet pluming in freezing weather almost certainly means plumbing freeze up.

I spent around $3000 sealing, insulating, and improving heat flow so the plumbing can be used in freezing weather. Tank heaters were installed, but the furnace is still required to keep pipes and water pump from freezing. Gas water heater must remain on at all times when wet and below freezing.

I cannot dump waste tanks in freezing weather because drain pipes and waste valves freeze solid.

I wish you good luck with your winterizing project.

Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #17

Keep your drain hose stored until you need to dump. Leaving it out will make it very brittle and prone to crack.

I don't think I'd let the slide open. They're not insulated and you're going to get a buildup of snow and ice.

Sounds like you've done good so far!!! Brrr.... hope there's a good reason to stay in Michigan for winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #18

Are you in the lower peninsula or upper? If upper, good luck. That is too cold even for me. Normally, the winters in the LP are not that bad in the southern area of the state (assuming you are from the area and don't consider 20's cold) if you stay away from the Great Lakes. If you have snow, I would pile it around the base. Snow has a lot of insulation.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #19

There is no 4 season RV with a few exceptions. That is used car salesman talk! 3 season is the best your gonna find no matter what you do to it. You MUST have duel pan windows. Not plastic covering. Your water will freeze. Tank drains will freeze. Have an escape plan in place.

If you can live like they do on "Life Below Zero" than you might get by.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #20

We have spent 3 winters in our coach at 7000' in the mountains, warm and comfortable. Our water system, tank drains and sewer hose have never frozen and are connected all winter long. Maybe we are doing something wrong?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Keep your drain hose stored until you need to dump. Leaving it out will make it very brittle and prone to crack.

I don't think I'd let the slide open. They're not insulated and you're going to get a buildup of snow and ice.

Sounds like you've done good so far!!! Brrr.... hope there's a good reason to stay in Michigan for winter.

Hmm, wonder if there is some way to insulate the slide better, suppose to have r-14 in walls.....

Good call on drain hose, i am hoping to use schedule 30 to hook up to a clean out, maybe even wrap PVC in insulation....

Michigan is where my job is currently...I don't plan on staying long term here, but for the next year for sure, and an apartment is not an option for me currently..... Hoping, i can keep everything from freezing, including me lol......a few posts on the thread have me worried....but it is what it is, and i will give it a try
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There is no 4 season RV with a few exceptions. That is used car salesman talk! 3 season is the best your gonna find no matter what you do to it. You MUST have duel pan windows. Not plastic covering. Your water will freeze. Tank drains will freeze. Have an escape plan in place.

If you can live like they do on "Life Below Zero" than you might get by.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the advice, i do realize there is no 4 season, and mine is only and extended 3 season.....i will look into duel pain windows... I hope water does not freeze, trying to prepare the best i can....
Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We have spent 3 winters in our coach at 7000' in the mountains, warm and comfortable. Our water system, tank drains and sewer hose have never frozen and are connected all winter long. Maybe we are doing something wrong?
haha, well i hope i am going to have your luck
Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #24

If you are in a 2020 RV...the heating system should be plenty up to speed to keep you toasty through the winter. Why add the space heaters?

When I first moved to Michigan, I found a year round campground in Algonaq. It was 7 degrees and the wind was howling on January 1 when I arrived. The RV was a 1996 3 season Mallard. It was a very cold winter. Only relief was my electric blanket. Water system had to be dethawed every morning to take a shower...
Anyway...my 2002 arrived in the beginning of 2017 Michigan winter and it was very comfy and no winter related issues. Big difference.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Are you in the lower peninsula or upper? If upper, good luck. That is too cold even for me. Normally, the winters in the LP are not that bad in the southern area of the state (assuming you are from the area and don't consider 20's cold) if you stay away from the Great Lakes. If you have snow, I would pile it around the base. Snow has a lot of insulation.

I am in the LP and hoping to make this work...good idea with the snow, thanks for advice

This is the insulation i am using to seal it up...still have some areas that need a bit of insulation yet, but working on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59284889054__7062B128-A7F5-4C69-B302-C65C56F5528D.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	263803  
Old 10-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If you are in a 2020 RV...the heating system should be plenty up to speed to keep you toasty through the winter. Why add the space heaters?

When I first moved to Michigan, I found a year round campground in Algonaq. It was 7 degrees and the wind was howling on January 1 when I arrived. The RV was a 1996 3 season Mallard. It was a very cold winter. Only relief was my electric blanket. Water system had to be dethawed every morning to take a shower...
Anyway...my 2002 arrived in the beginning of 2017 Michigan winter and it was very comfy and no winter related issues. Big difference.
Thank you, i am not too far from Metamora actually and i hope you are spot on for me lol...my beginning stages of insulating, and may put some on the slide as well...Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59284889054__7062B128-A7F5-4C69-B302-C65C56F5528D.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	263804  
Old 10-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #27

Make sure that extension cord is heavy duty. And the plug where it is getting it's power from.

Insulation around the perimeter looks good. Sure, you could put some additional under the slide. But don't put any hard supports under the slide in case the RV jacks sink. Foam is fine as it will easily crush if that happens and not damage the slide.

Is your water line under the foam? There are heated water hoses available for purchase. Use that to fill the onboard tank and use onboard. Refill when needed but close off the valves when not filling. Flush the hose (compressed air works great) inbetween fills.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Breezy View Post
haha, well i hope i am going to have your luck
It is proper planning and preparation, not luck!

BTW, be diligent to keep snow shoveled off the roof. One foot of wet snow on the roof of a 40' RV weighs about 8000lb! Plus, if you do not remove the snow, it will start to thaw/freeze on the poorly insulated roof and that can destroy your roof.

Tags