RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

RV Newbie

Hi,
I am a Newbie to the RV lifestyle....I am looking for credible information space heater usage in my coach. I am hoping to be able to full time RV and am in Michigan. I have heard horror stories about Space heaters frying outlets etc. Can anyone help me by giving me direction to safe heaters to supplement?

Miss Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The maximum wattage on any electric heater is 1500 watts. That's about 12.5 amps, which is safe to use on any AC outlet as long as there's nothing else on the circuit pulling any significant current. All AC outlets are wired for a minimum of 15 amps, some are 20 amps.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

1500 watt heater will cook many not so great outlets over time.
A good 20A new outlet would help or TFCI outlet will trip if it gets too hot. If you plan to use electric space heat please get some quality home units.
https://www.zmantechnologies.com/store/zman/outlet.html
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

Thank you for the info, when you say a lot on the circuit...what constitutes a lot? I mostly have phone chargers plugged in, a small de-humidifier etc...are all the outlets in the coach on one circuit? i am sure this sounds dumb to ask lol, but i am completely new at all this ...thanks again
Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

Thank you, i will look into that outlet, is this something Home Depot would sell? Also, can you recommend a good quality low watt heater? My coach is extremely small 23ft including tongue
Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Look over your breaker box.
Each breaker should be marked.
I would want a 20 amp with nothing elso on the breaker.
You should talk to a technician or electrician familiar with your rv.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Home Depot has 20A outlets, but you should NEVER just replace a 15A outlet with a 20A one before verifying the wires are sized correctly. Good thing is you shouldn't need the dehumidifier during the winter.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #8

I'm a big fan of the oil-filled radiator type electric heaters (we have two at home and one in the RV). The low profile ones like take up less space in a smaller RV although the larger ones may be more efficient:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRN0...%2C213&sr=8-34

This one has two power level switches, 500w and 700w, which gives you three choices of settings, 500w, 700w or 1200w. The larger ones generally run at 700w/800w/1500w depending on the switch settings. This type of heater may take longer to heat things up than other heaters but are completely noiseless with no red-hot heating elements. We usually take the chill off with our rig's built-in propane heater and then let the electric heater take over for the long haul.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Since most all RVs use the daisy chain method of wiring that means one 1500 watt heater plus a hair dryer will likely blow a circuit breaker. A couple of space heaters plus the water heater running on electricity and the refer on electric you could be out of power if your RV is a 30A unit. If its a 50A unit you still could run short of power pretty fast.
BTY even if you did use two 1500 watt electric heaters your going to burn a LOT of propane a day to keep inside temps above 50 degrees. RVs are simply not i sulated worth a darn. No matter how much you spend on one they are just not energy efficient. You will be better off to either trqvel to a warmer climate or rent an apartment.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Good thing is you shouldn't need the dehumidifier during the winter.
In my experience, a dehumidifier is needed more in a small trailer during the winter than in the summer.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Breezy View Post
Hi,
I am a Newbie to the RV lifestyle....I am looking for credible information space heater usage in my coach. I am hoping to be able to full time RV and am in Michigan. I have heard horror stories about Space heaters frying outlets etc. Can anyone help me by giving me direction to safe heaters to supplement?
Are you planning to stay in Michigan through the winter? If so, you need to think about some other things other than a space heater. Insulation, single pane windows?, keeping snow off your roof, water pipes freezing, skirting around the RV, and if using your furnace, also, you'll need a BIG propane tank.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the IRV2.com FORUM(S).

When you first enter this group, a new Member may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the forums you can find here. First, you need to set up your USER CP
Once you open and start a menu will open on the left side just take it all in the step-by-step top to bottom.

NEXT, you will find this forum is made up of 14-Forums broken into four-part forums. First is the HOME, top left above the member's menu. This forum is very helpful to new members to learn and become more familiar with overtime.

NEXT TO HOME is FORUMS on the top left covering Community, RV Lifestyles, Regional and RV Camping. and to the right of this is RV Forums.

RV FORUMS on the top left covers a lot about TRUCKS, Conversations, MVT's, HDT's, Travel Trailers/5th Wheel Chassis & TECH stuff, Chassis CLUB, RV SYSTEMS, Powertrain Garage.

Then you have the OWNERS FORUMS Covering Registry, A-M, and N-Z.

Now if you pan down to the bottom of the page you will find other FORUMS and if you know or have a Class B, you can direct or join the CLASS B FORUMS at Class B Forums And if you get down to Florida this link may be very HELPFUL http://www.CampFlorida.com Enjoy the Roads.

So welcome you again, I hope you join in the fun and share your knowledge by helping new members find their way in this forum as you would in, any RV Park. Again, make sure to set up your USER CP as this is helpful to you and other members. Again if you enjoy or think of starting your own RV Blog you can do that here as well above on menu bar is BLOGS Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest [URL=”https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm[/URL]
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #13

Let's address your original question. RV wiring is not the same as your house. The outlets are designed differently. The wire is hooked to the outlet in such a way that heat build up is more likely in an RV outlet. You can run 1500 watts for a short while. Hair dryer and such. Long term high watt use should be discouraged because heat builds up with time and can cause problems. There are several electric heaters on the market that have dual watt heating elements, just like your three way light bulb. Ours has a 600, 900 and both together at 1500. I'll use the 600 or 900 side on any of the RV outlets. I also added a separate 20 amp outlet that has its own cord and plugs into the 20 amp pedestal outlet. I'll run the 1500 watt setting on that outlet.

Some folks have run 1500 watts on their RV for years without a problem. You may do that as well but I prefer not to. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. RV fires are fast and often fatal. I don't want to try to bail out of that little window in the middle of the night.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #14

Thank you for all the advice, i am staying in Michigan through the winter...I have wrapped the bottoms of my coach in 2 in R-10 foam board insulation, bought a slide cover, and had vent covers installed. I just purchased vent pillows for inside. The coach is a 2020 extended season with underbelly covered, insulated and heated. Hoping with the foam board insulation as skirting it will help....I wrapped my low point drain and fresh water drain and overflow values in foam and insulated tape. I am looking into getting a 100gallon propane tank today actually and have insulated the doors on my passthrough storage with foam board as well. I have all but my kitchen window with plastic on them... Left my kitchen window with access to open for cooking etc...hoping i am on the right road to surviving the winter... Any other tips to help????

Tags