Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

RV Outbuilding Lighting?

I'm having an outbuilding put up for the rv, trucks, mower,- 32ft x 48 ft.long. Has anyone installed LED fixtures in theirs? I've figured that 20 (4 ft long, 3200 lumens each) fixtures- 4 rows of 5 fixtures- would be needed. I've read different opinions on side lighting vs. overhead. Any suggestions for a lighting plan? Higher lumen fixtures perhaps? Price is of course a consideration. I'm kinda cheap
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

If you are doing any work, then side lighting would be good.
Or you could do both, side and overhead. Just wire so one or the other could be used by itself.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

Yes- I"m planning on zone lighting-each one controlled by a separate switch.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

That's alot of fixtures for that area. I have a 30 x 45 by 16 high and I have 10 led 4ft fixtures and it is like daylight at night. I put all along the sides of RV none over top as they would serve no purpose I ran 5 down each side
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

Just quick look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_165703.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	234485  
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I'm jealous. Mine sits in the driveway (gravel) and lots of leaves. At least I have a power outlet.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Fixr View Post
I'm having an outbuilding put up for the rv, trucks, mower,- 32ft x 48 ft.long. Has anyone installed LED fixtures in theirs? I've figured that 20 (4 ft long, 3200 lumens each) fixtures- 4 rows of 5 fixtures- would be needed. I've read different opinions on side lighting vs. overhead. Any suggestions for a lighting plan? Higher lumen fixtures perhaps? Price is of course a consideration. I'm kinda cheap

The enclosed section of my building is 30' x 60' with 16' walls - currently I have 3 lights ( 9 total of 4' leds) centered in middle of each 20' bay and spaced across each bay at center ridge and the first purlin to each side of center - with duplex outlets at each individual light location to allow use and easy replacement of plug-in led shop lights that I bought at COSTCO - each bay is controlled from a wall switch.

This set-up provides plenty of light at night, but not quite enough during the day, especially along the walls - I'll be adding at least another 6 lights (3 each side) along the purlins closest to the walls.

I also have a couple of led shop lights in the front corner about 7'' high over my work bench / desk area for detail work.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Garage lights.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	234504  
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would run 3 rows. One on each side about 4 feet from the wall and one down the center.
I have a 33X40 shop, and a setup like this works excellent. It seems that you always need more light along the sides, and if you are going to park side by side, the center row will be a good thing as well.
My RV shed is still just gravel floor and no power. When I win the lotto, I plan to do the same with it. Pretty dark in there until the door opens.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #9

I am in the process of replacing the old rusted worn out dim ceiling mounted florescent fixtures in my shed with LED's right now. I opted for these from Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLKF2BH/ 4ft, 4500 Lumen 10 for $223 at the time I ordered. I store my coach in a 30 ft wide by 40 ft long shed space (it is actually half of 40x60 shed with a partition wall down the middle). So far I have installed 6 of these fixtures end to end with about a 2 ft space between each along the side wall on the passenger side of the coach about 8 ft above ground level. So far the results are great, though installation the other side will be more complicated due to warehouse shelving. Given what I have seen from doing this one side, I suspect I will probably need another 4 fixtures across the front wall, then maybe another 6 or so on the drivers side, though these may have to be ceiling mounted.

I was going to finish the project up this weekend, but instead we decided to take a spur of the moment trip in the coach, and are in a state park campground near the Louisiana coast as I type this.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my workshop I ran a couple rows of switched outlets across the ceiling. Thus way it's easy to add, remove, rearrange from my original estimate for the number and positioning of the several 4' shop lighting fixtures.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #11

Random thoughts. Backing out of daylight into a building, the trailer disappears as it goes thru door. Maybe a pair of lights on the back wall spaced such that if the trailer blocks you know you are off course? Line on the floor work, as long as you don't clean line off floor. (BTW, make the back wall reflective enough that you can check turn and brake lights from seat)
And if you are putting lights on the ceiling, count the side of RV as a wall, and center lights between walls. (A friends truck shop has plenty of light, until you put a truck in. And a van trailer, you need a flashlight to walk around, but you could lay on the roof and read the paper.
And I think I would space around the walls lights with motion and light sensors like around the back door of house. If you had the main lights on, they would do nothing, but no need to remember to turn them off. (Maybe when they turn on also turn on a sound system with speakers in the house? or even cameras?)
The efficiency of LEDs might change things, but when I stored equipment in a mine I put up just enough lights to safely walk around, then mounted a fixture above a rolling cart, about 7 feet high, to light the area I was working in... Also put creeper wheels and a plastic face on a fixture. Great for working under...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light