Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Overnight Parking

I was just reading about Walmart parking and wondered if anyone has parked in towns that have free street parking overnight. I would think if they let cars park overnight they woudn't care if an RV parked there. Or maybe school parking lots, I have a nephew that was a night custodian in Wisconsin and said he quite often saw RV's overnight in their lot. The school had no objection to it.
rbates1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Right now we are in the central coast area of California, and they have height rules on parking in some towns, some just say no overnight RV parking. I would think you will really have to pay attention to signs. The Walmart in Arroyo Grande will not allow overnight parking.
realRVvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We parked on a Residential Street in Laguna Niguel a few Years ago. We dropped in to visit a Cousin without phoning first. Duh, seems that they had gone away for the week. Anyway there was no problem and We tracked them down in the Palm Springs area so got to visit there!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I have done it in Shawnee, OK with no problems.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

David's sister & her hubby parked their fiver in front of an empty lot (off the street) in Port St Lucie FL when their mother died. They were told to move. They were allowed to stay a few days longer because of the death and David's sister was executor of the will. When we left PSL back in the early 80's, the morons were trying to ban pick-up trucks from the place... it was a town that consisted mainly of working folks and retirees. After David's mom died, we haven't been back. Why anyone would live someplace like that is beyiond me but if that what they want, I would rather they moved someplace with all the regulations than move someplace that didn't have any and the make them... hey, wait, that's exactly what happened.

We personally stay in campgrounds and parking, lots.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #6

WELL, it's hard for me to understand why many RVers find it so hard to comprehend why homeowners would object to waking up some morning to see the view out their nice picture window and across their carefully landscaped and manicured yard - and see the REST of their view blocked by some wandering Gypsy's RV and toad..

The RVing vehicles and lifestyle so dear to OUR hearts, is NOT universally shared or appreciated - and yes, townships and homeowners DO have the right to govern what goes on in THEIR own front yards and parking lots!

OUR chosen places of living and travel have wheels - WE can (and SHOULD!) move on when we're not wanted - THEY cannot...

Parking for various types of vehicles in commercial and residential areas is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT - NOR does the world revolve around OUR personally perceived "needs" or wants as RVers...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Many towns have restrictions against sleeping overnight in any vehicle on the city streets - whether car or RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
WELL, it's hard for me to understand why many RVers find it so hard to comprehend why homeowners would object to waking up some morning to see the view out their nice picture window and across their carefully landscaped and manicured yard - and see the REST of their view blocked by some wandering Gypsy's RV and toad..
I don't know but what's parked off their property is really none of their business as long as what's parked across the street (or in front of). As long as they can still see their carefully landscaped and manicured yard and the municipal parking regulations are being obeyed I can't see any problem.

Quote:
and wondered if anyone has parked in towns that have free street parking overnight.
Yep we have, for about a week in Calgary AB and about 4 days in Saskatoon SK and 3 days in Leamington ON while visiting folks. In Saskatoon we had an extension cord across the sidewalk for power.
Point of consideration> Be aware of your surroundings, residential areas are probably the quietest and safest, but it would be better to avoid run down areas and look for residential areas like Garry mentioned in his post above. Above all if you plan on doing this be aware of parking regulations for the chosen area, read the signs and obey them.
Be doing some of that street overnighting next week in fact plus a Wally or two. Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #9

We haven't ever parked on a street at night, with the exception of Christmas Day at our daughters house and not without making sure her neighbors were ok with it, we have parked in Walmarts for a few hours at night to take a break and relax or sleep and we always shop or eat at the place we stop at. We prefer to park in a campground unless we are to late to checkin or are unable to park without disturbing anyone. We think that store parking lots or city streets are emergency parking only. I understand that no one would want someone to park in front of their house to sleep whether in a RV or a car and in general that should be reserved for rest stops if there are open ones in the area you are in.
realRVvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Diane View Post
We haven't ever parked on a street at night, ~~~~Snip~~~~ We think that store parking lots or city streets are emergency parking only. I understand that no one would want someone to park in front of their house to sleep whether in a RV or a car and in general that should be reserved for rest stops if there are open ones in the area you are in.
Well I certainly respect your opinion, But! most of the Rest Stops up here forbid overnight parking, 4 hr stay maximum. I've never seen one close to where I want to visit
In any of the cases of my street overnighting I've posted here, all were common sense in my opinion. Gas average price was between $3.80 and $4 per US gallon. The friends or relatives we were visiting didn't live close to Wal Marts, parking lots close by didn't allow overnight parking and campgrounds were just too darn far away. City traffic even in a small RV is no picnic, I like staying put while visiting friends and relatives. When driveways are to small and the street is the only option other than daily traveling back and forth to some other location I take it. Residential streets are more quiet therefore preferred over any commercial establishment.
Try it, you'll like it!

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote