Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

RV Park etiquette : Outside lights

When I go to bed I like it as dark as possible. I also like to have a window open for fresh air. With the advent of super bright
LED lights people seem to like to leave their porch lights on all night. They are very bright and shine right into the windows of the coach next to them. With only 15-20 foot separation sometimes its bright enough to read in my bedroom at times. Please be considerate of your neighbors and turn off your outside lights at bed time. It's like having you outside tv running full blast all night. If your that worried about security you must be in the wrong park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
When I go to bed I like it as dark as possible. I also like to have a window open for fresh air. With the advent of super bright
LED lights people seem to like to leave their porch lights on all night. They are very bright and shine right into the windows of the coach next to them. With only 15-20 foot separation sometimes its bright enough to read in my bedroom at times. Please be considerate of your neighbors and turn off your outside lights at bed time. It's like having you outside tv running full blast all night. If your that worried about security you must be in the wrong park.
I'm sorry if you are parked beside me (meaning right now). I accidentally left ours on all night the other night.

Otherwise, I try to think I'm courteous enough to others to turn it off when I go to bed (really when I'm in for the night).
Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Yep not a fan of lights left on all nite. Mine will come on at dusk in case we don’t get home till after dark. They can be turned of from inside but if I forget they cut off by midnight.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
Before you started camping, did you ever sleep in a hotel that was maybe by an Interstate highway? Are there street lights in your neighborhood? In my opinion, maybe they should be turning some of the outside lights off, but you know, if it bothers you that much (we aren't talking about loud noise, music, etc here) you probably should buy some darkening shades for your bedroom windows and learn how to cope with it.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with Wes. If I wanted to have bright lights shining into my trailer all night, I’d go camping on the Vegas strip.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, turn the lights off. Do not really get why anyone in a nice RV park thinks they need them on. Worst thing is when we are in a dark sky area as we are in now, and folks leave the light on.

I love the dark sky and bright stars. RV lights just kill it!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
I have to agree with Wes. If I wanted to have bright lights shining into my trailer all night, I’d go camping on the Vegas strip.

X2 [emoji106]
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Before you started camping, did you ever sleep in a hotel that was maybe by an Interstate highway? Are there street lights in your neighborhood? In my opinion, maybe they should be turning some of the outside lights off, but you know, if it bothers you that much (we aren't talking about loud noise, music, etc here) you probably should buy some darkening shades for your bedroom windows and learn how to cope with it.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine are motion sensor activated lights, they frequency come on when someone or someone dog come by with and without their masters.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I bought an RV to avoid "sleeping in a hotel that was maybe by an Interstate highway".

I've never understood the fascination some folks have with bright colored blinky lights all over their RV, laser light shows and rope lights all over their site. Must be one of those "hey everybody, look at me" things. And no, there are no street lights in my neighborhood. If there were I wouldn't live there. However, I do try to be a good neighbor and not do things that might annoy others.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #11

I use a couple outside lights in decoration but the total light output on site is about the brightness of a night light. Or about 10% of the brightness of the yellow porch light, just enough not to trip over things. Then 2 little solar lights at the end of the site by the street so I can see walking to the toad.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #12

Turn off your lights!!! If you are afraid of the dark put a night light in your bedroom. Very rude...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #13

Don't come to Alaska to camp! It's light all night! 🤣
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #14

I usually stick a 'automotive flasher' unit in the end of my FW trailer umbilical cord plug.
Flasher blades are angled and fit perfect in the 12V Hot and the Trailer Running lights terminals

Makes them ALL flash ......ON/OFF---ON/OFF---ON/OFF----ON/OFF---ON/OFF--------
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights