Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #1

RV Park owner bullying??

I have just purchased a RV carport from one of my neighbors who is leaving the state. I did not know that he had been trying to sell it for 2 weeks...when I found out I went and bought it from him.
The owner of the RV park, who knew the entire 2 weeks that the carport was for sell, never approached the owner of the carport until after he knew that I was going to buy it. The guy told the owner of the RV park that he had already sold it...to me.
The owner of the RV park has since been constantly texting me that he won't let anyone come move the carport unless he sees their companies insurance and license for RV carport experience.
Now I totally understand that the RV park owner would need proof of whoever comes and does work our here must be bonded and insured. But he is telling me that he will deny anybody without RV carport moving experience.
As I said, I get the fact that he would like to make sure whomever comes out here has insurance...but for him to tell me that he has to approve whomever I hire to come move MY carport. If I hire someone with no RV carport moving experience but who is bonded and insured then the RV park owner should not be able to interfere, correct??
Oh, and I should also mention that I only have to the end of the month to remove MY carport from the other RV spot or on the 1st of next month he will be able to do whatever he wishes with the carport since it will be deemed "property abandoned by previous tenant"....even though he sold it to me, which I have the Bill of Sale.
Any and all input and advice on this will be greatly appreciated.
Texas_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #2

Hire bonded/insured company.

Inform local police of RV Park Owners actions/treats

Inform RV Park Owner time and date of removal, company that was hired, copies of bonding/insurance, your Bill of Sale and that POLICE have been informed and WILL be called if any interference occurs .

You are legal owner...Bill Of Sale.
It has not been abandoned....takes more time before it can be declared abandoned

What a JERK!

POLICE if necessary!!!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Where is this RV park? I want to be sure to never go there.

Jerry
Old 04-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just my view but,

sounds to me that you've purchased what is in legal terms immovable property which is situated as a fixed installation on another person's property i.e. object, an item of property that cannot be moved without destroying or altering it - property that is fixed to the earth, such as land or a house.

to disassemble or dismantle it in place would be viewed as altering it.

if that is the case then the legal land owner where the object is installed enjoys and inures certain legal rights and obligations which include liability and therefore is within its authority to mandate or otherwise control how such an object is to be installed and/or removed, in this case "altered" in the form of dismantling.

I'd suggest you try to find a "peaceful" solution, ask the park owner if he has a recommendation for an experienced installer that can safely disassemble/dismantle and remove the structure and then go from there.

Maybe thats not where you "want to go" with such an issue but my sense is if the RV park owner is invited to be more involved, then he/she may be more "understanding" and not be so restrictive in terms of when it needs or can be removed (timing).

bottom line, I suspect the "Law" would lean more toward the park owner's rights than your's - sorry but that's the way I see it.

Contact the seller, ask them who sold and installed the carport to/for him/her, then see if you can get the same company (or an equally qualified competitor) to come and dismantle and remove it, then re-install it for you. My guess would be that any reputable company that sells and installs the type of carport would meet the RV park owner's expectation for experience.

Good luck.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just relocate to that spot then everyone is happy and you save the expense of moving it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
He owns the dirt you're sitting on, he makes the rules, you comply.

Find the people that originally installed the carport, and set an appointment for them to move it before the deadline.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #7

Sounds like the park owner sees it as an infringement of his perks that he gets to keep "abandoned" property by making sure that property HAS to be abandoned rather than it being moved! Unfortunately he does own the park, and can make the rules. Now, I have no problem with requiring licensing and bonding, but to require that the company has "experience moving carports", that actually doesn't even allow companies that SELL and INSTALL them, since they aren't technically "Moving" them, BUT, that's why they have a bond, or insurance. If they accidentally back over a mail box while driving, their insurance covers it.

I agree with asking the park owner to provide a recommendation for a mover, or moving to that spot if it is available and you are not absolutely set on keeping your same spot. Otherwise, either forfeit the money you paid for the carport, the park owner gets to keep the "abandoned" property, and you can buy a new carport.

Personally, I would find another park. Owner sounds like a real jerk, and I don't think I'd want to live or vacation there.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you are wanting to stay there and have a good relationship with the owner's, I would follow his rule's, right or wrong, as these car ports are not that expensive to buy, and peace will be kept with him...........no matter what has been done, you will have to obey his rules if you want to keep peace with him or move on................once your relationship is frayed with him............your life there will be no fun
See/ask him if he is willing to give you what you paid for it......
Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #9

Make sure you document all conversations you have with the owner. You need to be able to show you acted in good faith should this come to a showdown.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
He owns the dirt you're sitting on, he makes the rules, you comply.

Find the people that originally installed the carport, and set an appointment for them to move it before the deadline.

Good advice! It that company is not around, it should be easy to find another company that regularly installs RV covers in that area!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If all peaceful means of resolution fail, invite two or three friends over some night for a few beers. After midnight, go over and dismantle the thing and put it up at your site. Always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. (Everybody relax this was posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek...sort of)
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #12

How big of a carport is this? The small aluminum carports and be picked up and moved by 4-6 strong people and carried intact to your spot. If it's 18x40, then taking it apart is the only solution.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #13

Just punch him in the mouth and move to a different park.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Just punch him in the mouth and move to a different park.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote