Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you will find that many of the "camp grounds" that have this rule also have permanent residence and they just don't want an eyesore in the neighborhood. I guess I get that.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Reminds me of a quote I posted yesterday

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #73
laj

there is a whole other side to this that hasn't been brought up. This has created other issues for the cg. and some patrons.
Just waiting to see if someone brings this issue up.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #74
doc

Appalachian Campers
There is a not a lot I can add to this pretty good discussion but I will share a story of several years ago. A few years before Katrina ripped apart the gulf coast, we decided to get away from the cold for a while and headed out, just taking a chance on finding a place. I cannot recall the town/city but it may have been Gulf Port or Pascagoula. We found a place we stayed in for a while called Sans Beach. Found out later that meant 'without beach' . As is out habit, we explored the area pretty thoroughly and happened on an "RV" park whose name I cannot come close to remembering. This was a sad looking place for sure. Old trailers that had not been moved in years from their looks, along with very old 5ers and some motorhomes that would be considered as classics by standards these days. It was occupied by pensioners that had little to do but sit around and check the mail and smoke cigarettes constantly. MsC asked me did I think they were fulltimers and did I really want to sell all the property and land and take a chance on being these people in several more years. Of course not! I have thought about these people many times since then and when Katrina hit I worried about these guys for days. I saw pictures of the area and nothing looked the same. I hope these folks made it out before K came ashore. I am pretty sure many of the units did not - they were just in no shape to move. I wonder where they are living now and what there lives are like.
When considering these folks, whether or not the ten year rule applies seems sort of inconsequential.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Things to ponder...
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Few years ago stayed at a campground that had in residence trailers with moss growing on the roof and sides.

As it turns out it was an area where the poor had no place to go. The owner was a very generous kind hearted lady who let them stay at minimal rates. They did the best they could. While part of the campground was nice there was a part that did not look at all inviting.

In spite of this I wonder how many owners would be this kind hearted in todays drive for large profits.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
there is a whole other side to this that hasn't been brought up. This has created other issues for the cg. and some patrons.
Just waiting to see if someone brings this issue up.
Interested to what the "Other" issue is............
Old 01-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #78

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've been to several Passport America CGs and others that I believe are doing something like this. Most were fairly clean and not bad looking (save for the run down old RVs). What's interesting is that almost all of them had very good wifi and decent cable (as opposed to those higher priced CGs!).

I had was stationed twice at Keesler AFB, Biloxi. While visiting an Uncle & Aunt in Pensacola, we drove as far as Pass Christian (I couldn't stand going any further) about five years after K. Our government's 'support' for those from that whole area is even less than the 'support' for the troops.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Several months ago I had to undergo a rather complicated surgical procedure, and was scheduled to be in hospital 10-14 days. Not wanting to put our dog in a kennel for that long, we decided we would find a campground as close to the hospital as possible, and DW could go back/forth to let dog out from time to time. CG mgr was a Philipino, nice guy. As we drove in toward our campsite, I noted a lot of old, sort of run-down trailers in the area, and was somewhat apprehensive about staying there. An older guy with a beer gut popped out of one of the trailers and helped me back into our site, and hook up. People next door found out we had the dog, and offered to walk our dog for DW so she could stay at the hospital. Beer gut's wife tried to feed DW 'cause she said hospital food wasn't fit to eat. Mistie was walked several times a day, and when wife did return she found Mistie next door with her new friends.

So, as it turned out it was one of the most fulfilling experiences DW has had camping - wonderful campground neighbors who were helpful and caring. I was in no shape to drive the coach home (DW will only drive on highway), and CG mgr let us leave the coach there for extra day without charge 'til a friend could drive it home for us. Beer gut came over and disconnected, etc.

Things are not always as they seem. And other people are often "Friends in waiting" if we'll just give them a chance. Makes me convinced I would not want to camp in a CG that limits to under 10 yr old coaches.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Interested to what the "Other" issue is............
yep!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #81
laj

RV park restrictions

its the legal side and they hold up in court. last cg that i know had to pay
7500 in court cost, legal fees and punitive damages. it was for not enforcing their leash rule and allowing a restricted breed in and it killed another dog. when they give you a set of rules and take your money those rules become a " contract "
enforceable in court. if someone lies about the age of their rig and their caught by another camper the cg can be in breach of contract for refund of fees, any out of pocket expense, court fees if it goes there. if the cg was lied to then they can go after the offender for all the expenses their out. i have seen it happen, so if that excites you lie away.
there is way more legal terms but not going there. really not important.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #82

Stay elsewhere. You can buy flowers and candy, but you still won't get a date.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #83

I don't see how legally a park can just set an age only restriction. Maybe it's legal, maybe not but it's definately discrimation.

Having a rule about a coach needs to be generally accepted good condition I can see standing a legal challenge but not just saying nothing older than "X" years.

Sooner or later someone will challenge these arbitrary rules although it will likely be someone that has money to burn on legal bills which leaves out 99% of us.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #84

Discrimination is only illegal with regards to 7 things:
  • Age.
  • Pregnancy.
  • National Origin.
  • Race.
  • Ethnic Background.
  • Religious Beliefs.
  • Sexual Orientation.
And I don't think RV's qualify as people and not property, so they aren't protected on the age side

Steve