Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Question RV park restrictions

Yesterday I received feedback from a RV park in Phoenix AZ. They told us that they do not allow Motorhomes that are more than ten years old.

Is this type of restriction common? We have been looking at ten year old RVs and wonder if the year after we buy one we will be in a situation that would put us on the outside looking in.

FYI We already joined Escapees and Good Sam.
Jeff35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

There are some parks that have that restriction. Ours is not 10 years old yet but I wouldn't stay in such a park anyway if I knew this in advance. Pretty arrogant of them. There are a lot of great looking rigs that are way older than 10 years.

And, there are a lot of brand new rigs with obnoxious and inconsiderate owners.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Very common. However, in my experience, not enforced other than an 'escape valve' for all the old ratty units. We just tell people we're 9 years old and never had an issue with either our (then) 17 year old gasser or our now 14 year old DP.

Steve
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have not found this to be common, although there are some parks that do have this restriction. Most parks will take everyone, regardless if it's Class A or truck camper.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Perhaps not a lot of them but they are out there. The ones I've encountered have been typically overpriced for what they offer so I have avoided them. I will also avoid a park that appears run down or poorly maintained.

That sort of selection still leaves the vast majority of parks available everywhere I desire to go without having to worry about the age of my rig, the polish on my nails or the style of my flip flops. As a member of Escapees, Good Sam, and of course here, you've gained access to all sorts of resources in finding parks where you'll never be on the outside.
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Those CG's are out there but not that common. I understand some will wave that rule if the MH is well maintained.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There isn't that many, i would say across the US a few hundreds at the most.

A lot of those will accept RV that are older than 10 years if they are in good condition.

I understand of such a rule. Approx 10 years ago I stayed a couple of nights in a Mission Bay, San Diego campground.. There was a very large number of very old rigs not properly maintained, The campgroud was very well located and it had a portion alongside the waterfront.
But because of those ugly RV's a lot of potential customer turned back

They had been trying for several years to get rid of these RV' whithout success.
Finally they closed the campground for a few years, then they upgraded the campground and put a 10 year restrictions and also you are not allowed to stay more than a month.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff35 View Post
Yesterday I received feedback from a RV park in Phoenix AZ. They told us that they do not allow Motorhomes that are more than ten years old.
Is this type of restriction common? We have been looking at ten year old RVs and wonder if the year after we buy one we will be in a situation that would put us on the outside looking in.
FYI We already joined Escapees and Good Sam.
Jeff35
It is, but only ENLIST RV Parks have that discriminatory policy, (and even then they might allow you to be their customer if your coach passes an inspection)!
However, because I don't want to spend my $$ at a park like that even more than they don't want my old coach... (and because my coach does NOT like to be inspected by anyone but me), it has never been a problem.
However I do occasionally drive through one.... (so they can see what they're missing).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Look at your coach through the CG owners' and other coach-owners' eyes. If it's faded, decals pealing, headlight lenses fogged, dirty, etc. then save yourself the trouble of joining them.

If your new-to-you MH is pretty and clean, then it will always be, "8 years old", to those that write those rules (but allow and welcome nice units, regardless)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #10

I dont tell them the age. I tell them a 40ft Holiday Rambler Endevour.. that's all they need to know.. most think it is almost new and it's an 04. Well, it is almost new.. :-)
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Look at your coach through the CG owners' and other coach-owners' eyes. If it's faded, decals pealing, headlight lenses fogged, dirty, etc. then save yourself the trouble of joining them.

If your new-to-you MH is pretty and clean, then it will always be, "8 years old", to those that write those rules (but allow and welcome nice units, regardless)
You could have peeling decals on a 4 year old unit, ask me how I know?

Most camp grounds that have this rule also state they will let you camp there upon inspection.

Jim W.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have stayed at a couple of campgrounds on the Texas coast that have that rule. I did not take their rules personally, but instead respected their rules and reasons. Just as the don't want to see a junky RV in their park, I don't want to be in a junky park!! They ask me to send them a photo of the coach and once I did they said we were welcome. Here is what I sent them....

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #13

Show Off!! just kidding (but bet they put you in their first lane!)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
I dont tell them the age. I tell them a 40ft Holiday Rambler Endevour.. that's all they need to know.. most think it is almost new and it's an 04. Well, it is almost new.. :-)
I've only stayed at one that had that rule, but it was not on the honor system - you had to bring your vehicle registration in at checkin. Never had to do that anywhere else. With my rig hitting 10 years old this year, and looking much newer, I'd gladly NOT give them my money and drive on down the road.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote