Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
I was raised by both my Dad and the Boy Scouts to ALWAYS leave a campsite cleaner than I found it; a practice we follow religiously no matter where we camp and one I taught my now grown up kids. We also ALWAYS keep our 20 lb dog on a leash and clean up after her. I frequently wonder why some people think it is okay for them to let their dogs run loose at a campground. Do they just simply think they are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to them?

Amen! Sometimes feel we are one of the few that pick up after our dog and actually walk our dog on a leash. We even clean up the fire pits. So many people but their un-burnable trash in them. I even pick up cigarette butts in the common areas and really anywhere on campgrounds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think my all time favourite, and one of the reasons I prefer dry camping, was a sign on the door of the washrooms that read "No washings dishes in the toilets.".

I don't know, nor do I care, if they meant the area or the actual fixture itself.

That's hilarious. Makes you wonder...[emoji15] Can you imagine walking in on that?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I often wonder if there might not be some local fire regulations that govern distance from "fire pit" to nearest vehicles that might affect some campgrounds' certification for occupancy. I've seen more than a few private parks that pack 'em in so tight that I question whether or not any sort of fire (aside from a propane "fire pit" sort of thing) can be safely started in that space. When circumstances necessitate we stay in those sorts of parks - we offer up prayers and special incantations that our neighbors are not the "we gotta have a real fire to enjoy our camping trip!" type - who then proceed to put my rig at risk (or at a minimum fill me with the smoke and fumes from their fire.
X2 on this one it drives me nuts. A couple of the places we go are just like this, but are really nice CG's otherwise. The spots are an ok size, but for some reason they place your neighbors fire pit so close to the rear of your MH spot that it is a hazard in my opinion. I wish they would put the fire pits close to our MH spot so that we could chose whether or not we want a fire or take the chance of starting our own MH on fire. We have a propane fire pit and it work greats, and get no burning wood smell in the MH, until someone next to us starts a real fire. I always try and pick a spot where the people next to us have no firewood, at least you get a few days of peace of mind.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Fill the bag and carry it with you to a proper disposal place. We've walked many trails that folks just leave the bag on the trail for someone else to dispose of it! Even if you're walking 5 miles.... carry it with you. Or they 'hide' it behind a bush. Or they don't even bag it but leave it for the next hiker to walk on.
OH! I see!
Yes, we always dispose of it in the proper receptacle.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
There is one of those parks a lot closer to you. We stopped in north GA at a private park that didn't have that listed in the rules. It was after we had set up that the manager's husband came by to tell us we had to carry our dogs to the dog park so they wouldn't pee on the grass. We packed up and headed down the road to the state park at Altoona.

I'd like to see me try that with two labradors.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Fill the bag and carry it with you to a proper disposal place. We've walked many trails that folks just leave the bag on the trail for someone else to dispose of it! Even if you're walking 5 miles.... carry it with you. Or they 'hide' it behind a bush. Or they don't even bag it but leave it for the next hiker to walk on.
Ok, so don't think I'm saying that I think this is ok...I used to think the same thing, that people were just leaving it, but the people around here who bag it and leave it on the trail, do so because they are doing a loop and they grab it on the return and throw it away. My friend does this when we go for long (10+ miles) hikes. The first time she did it I was pretty horrified, but since I know for a fact that she gets it on the way back and it gets disposed of, I don't say anything else. I'm not the boss of her, and she's an amazing person, so I guess we don't have to agree on every darn thing. She would NEVER leave it and not grab it on the way back. I've found she's not the only one that does this and it's apparently pretty common thing where we live.

I still don't do this myself, but as long as it's being taken care of, I suppose I have less issue with this than the people who don't clean up after their dogs at all.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
There is one of those parks a lot closer to you. We stopped in north GA at a private park that didn't have that listed in the rules. It was after we had set up that the manager's husband came by to tell us we had to carry our dogs to the dog park so they wouldn't pee on the grass. We packed up and headed down the road to the state park at Altoona.
Same for a campground in Las Vegas last year. We were warned we would be fined if they caught us "letting our puppy pee on the grass" on the way to the play area. Then when we got there the play area was filthy and I refused to go in.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeflowers View Post
Ok, so don't think I'm saying that I think this is ok...I used to think the same thing, that people were just leaving it, but the people around here who bag it and leave it on the trail, do so because they are doing a loop and they grab it on the return and throw it away.
Good for her but our experience with volunteering in parks and doing trail duty is that people tend to 'forget' that they left it behind or where they left it. The bags we collected were old stuff, not fresh.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Good for her but our experience with volunteering in parks and doing trail duty is that people tend to 'forget' that they left it behind or where they left it. The bags we collected were old stuff, not fresh.
Ew, yeah, I totally believe that. Just adding that I do know what some people at least do go back to get it. Shame on those who don't.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #52

One campground we stayed in had a good size sign behind the check-in counter; "No Grills on Picnic Tables." I chuckled a bit and asked the person checking us in if that was really a problem. He shook his head and said, "you wouldn't think so, but it is." He went on to explain all their picnic tables were galvanized steel with a plastic coating and people had a tendency to set their table top grills on them while cooking melting the plastic. When we pulled into our site there was a sign similar to the one in the office on both ends of the picnic table.

Later on that evening the wife and I were walking around the park and wouldn't you know it, we came across an Einstein unit standing there with his family gathered around the picnic table making s'mores on their grill, which was on the picnic table. Setting such a fine example for his family and following the rules.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
Not so much "unusual", but I thought it was very interesting that on a recent stay the number one item in our list of rules had to do with "not flying drones over the RV park".

There's not much chance of that happening in Canada anymore, come on up here. LOL.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #54

"No school bus or metro bus conversion units allowed".

Does not directly affect me and my RV, but I find this sort of elitist rule very disturbing.
YooperVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperVer View Post
"No school bus or metro bus conversion units allowed".

Does not directly affect me and my RV, but I find this sort of elitist rule very disturbing.
I understand what you are saying about the elitist attitude as, technically, I would be banned from some upper-crust RV Resorts because my coach is over 10 years old. However, because it looks much newer than its actual age, sending a photo to the only CG we stayed at where they cited the rule, got an almost immediate reply, "Oh, yours looks fine, no problem." I believe that the "10 year old" max rule was put in place to allow the CG manager/owner to have a look first in order to use their discretion to weed out the junkers.

As to school bus or metro bus conversions, would I be correct in assuming that the majority of said conversions were done by amateurs, resulting in an appearance that does not comport with the image the CG wishes to foster? I'm sure owners of these conversions are some of the finest people you would want to meet. But, that's not the point, IMHO. If you, as owner of the CG, had your life savings invested not only in maintaining, but actually improving, the status of your CG, would it be in your best financial interest to allow school bus or metro bus conversions? CG's are not only private businesses, but private property. I may not like the CG's rules, but I would not make a moral judgment as to the CG owner because of those rules. If I don't like the rules, I will just move on down the road. I guess I was raised before the "Age of Entitlement."

Personally, if the owner of a school bus conversion has the money to stay at the CG's I frequent, he can park next to me anytime. Just no smokey fires or 1 zillion lumen carnival light displays which interfere with my sack time.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #56

Some of the snowbird RV parks in Apache Junction will not allow pets to go to the bathroom inside the RV park. Every morning, dog owners raced to get their pets outside the campground.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote