Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I suspect very few of those conversations have been properly certified.

In that case it's not elitist at all, but merely law-abiding.
Although the point of bus conversions possibly being built to less than industry standards, and presently some safety risk as a result, I don't get the "law-abiding" part. It is certainly not against the law to have a non-certified RV is it?
YooperVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Ya got to remember "ya can't fix stupid" I had a fool next to me giving his dog a haircut on the picnic table. I guess that's what he does on his kitchen table.
We use a grooming table outside and sweep up afterwards, picnic table is too short most of the time

Some of the rules I have run into that get broken constantly:

Rubber sewer gaskets MUST BE USED AT ALL TIMES. Please replace the sewer cap upon departure. (I would add or the rock or the water filled coke bottle or the piece of wood or whatever the place was using and why should I use a gasket when I can screw the elbow into the cg connection. However, I still see a lot of folks just jamming their hose down the drain without a rubber donut or bayonet elbow, nice)

Back Flows (what is this?) are required between spout and unit connection. If the back flow is missing there will be a 50 dollar charge to the guest. Removing this item is prohibited. (I can't figure this one out, not sure if the park is talking about a pressure regulator or a quick disconnect with a back flow valve. Maybe this has something to do with flushing the black tank? I have a shut off on both ends of my black tank flush hose, I don't want to make THAT mistake again)

Sites must be kept clean at all times. No inside appliances or inside furniture are allowed to be stored outside of your unit at anytime unless stored in an approved rubbermaid shed.
Guests are allowed a screen tent for enclosure of patio furniture. No inside appliances or household furniture are allowed to be used in this enclosure at any time. (this one is violated all the time I see fridges sitting under patio awnings and the front end of fivers constantly.)

I would like to have a rule of my own:

Shirts and shoes (well no shoes is okay) must be worn when outside (pool area excluded but we would change that if we could for some of you) at all times.

My wife says the above rule is too mean, but I know better than to go outside with out my shirt on. She has some rules for motorcycles but I can't print them here.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperVer View Post
Although the point of bus conversions possibly being built to less than industry standards, and presently some safety risk as a result, I don't get the "law-abiding" part. It is certainly not against the law to have a non-certified RV is it?

Yup, it's very illegal, at least if it gets plugged into the grid or has propane appliances.

The whole point of the RVIA, or up here in Canada CSA Z-240, certification is to ensure the systems meet minimum safety standards.

In most jurisdictions various levels of regulation actually make it an offence for the c/g to allow you to move in and / or hook up.

In this litigious society we live in people aren't willing to risk everything for a few bucks of rental income.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #102

Note in a hotel room

OK, it's not a CG rule, but this is one of the funniest things I ever saw. I had to travel on business to Pierre, SD once, and spend a night in a local hotel. I think it was a Days Inn or something. For a Capitol city, there weren't a lot of choices.

In the bathroom, there were two carefully folded, somewhat threadbare, wash cloths on the counter with a printed tent sign on them which said, "Please use for guns and makeup."

No there's a whole rash of hilarious visuals for you.
bjohnmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #103

At a full hookup site, I saw a sign in the office.

" No dumping holding tanks between 2 PM and 10 AM."

When I asked why, he said, leave your valves closed, because there is no ( Sanitation ? ) engineer on site before 10 AM and after 2 PM. ????
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrving View Post
Sign at exit of a campground in Maine:

Steps up
Antenna down
Make sure you have all your children
Drive safe
good sense of humour! just remembered the movie "Home alone" if you see what i am saying
Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Getting away from dogs and back to CG rules.
The one that really gets me going is the age 55 up rule. Yes, I understand it's supposed to make for no kids hence less noise. HA!! It doesn't work. Too many liquid fueled campfire sessions that extend to past quiet time.

Then there is the rule that you aren't supposed to start and idle your engine while you decamp. HA!! Ignored by way too many. Five minutes or so - OK, 30 to 45, now you have me really upset especially if you are next door and it's just beyond sunrise plus you are yelling at each other to be heard over that thumping diesel at high idle.

I seldom bother reading CG rules. We are quiet and watch our TV inside, don't clean fish where we shouldn't, don't stay up late with a smoky campfire, don't wash our 5er at the site, clean up and dispose of our dog's poo properly plus keep them quiet, don't speed, don't keep a messy yard while at our usual summer site, don't dumpster dive (unless there is something really interesting to check out) etc, etc, etc.

What I'm saying is that we try to be good campers and leave nothing but tire tracks on the road when we leave.
I agree 100%.

The vast majority of campground rules shouldn't have to be in writing in the first place. It would be enough if people would just think and use their common sense. But alas,,, we have too many people out there who think they are entitled and that they can do whatever they want. Being disrespectful and ignoring rules/laws seem to be where much our society is heading.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Yup, it's very illegal, at least if it gets plugged into the grid or has propane appliances.

The whole point of the RVIA, or up here in Canada CSA Z-240, certification is to ensure the systems meet minimum safety standards.

In most jurisdictions various levels of regulation actually make it an offence for the c/g to allow you to move in and / or hook up.

In this litigious society we live in people aren't willing to risk everything for a few bucks of rental income.
I don't believe that it is illegal for me to build my own camper/RV and use it in a campground, in the US anyway-don't know about Canada. There are plenty of homebuilt trailers (teardrops come to mind) that are used all the time in campgrounds. None of those are RVIA certified. The RVIA pertains to units built for sale, not homebuilt units, which ARE legal to build, own, & use.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #107

I'm new to the RV experience (but LOVING IT, mainly for the people I've met ---- just think who you actually talked to in a hotel) and can't remember if most CG post the rules on their reservation site. I'll now check as it probably gives you at least an idea as to problems experienced. After all, who would post a sign in the restroom that "Pooping in the trash can is prohibited" if it hadn't happened. I'm guessing, like in most things in life, a few people tend to screw things up for others.

Same kind of logic possibly applies with conversions/home built MH/campers. I'm thinking the responsible folks attempt to meet all the safety rules as they will likely be the first to encounter a problem. However, how do we, as a community, support safety standards? Does every state require an inspection of the vehicle before licensing? Mine is a 2010 Tiffin and purchased last year. The registration inspection consisted of verifying the VIN (which they wrote down wrong) but no basic brakes, lights, seat belts, propane, fire and extinguisher, etc checks.

There is probably room for improvement on both sides of these issues. I'm certainly in favor of good rules and policies, just hope we don't really need 11 pages of rules. That said, common sense is lacking in many areas.

Mr B1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #108

I think the thought behind the RIVA "requirement" to stay at a campground is pretty simple and obvious - no "school bus" or other "home made" RVs are allowed.............. and you can make up any number of reasons "why", but I don't think safety has anything to do with it.

Nothing like Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady and the Merry Pranksters on the "Furthur" as campground neighbors. And that's not a campfire you're smelling.......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Further_(bus)
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I think the thought behind the RIVA "requirement" to stay at a campground is pretty simple and obvious - no "school bus" or other "home made" RVs are allowed.............. and you can make up any number of reasons "why", but I don't think safety has anything to do with it.

Nothing like Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady and the Merry Pranksters on the "Furthur" as campground neighbors. And that's not a campfire you're smelling.......

I must say, in retrospect, I wholeheartedly agree with Betr2Trvl. Safety is always a good idea BUT the rule is to have a basic standard for all to follow. I stand corrected! Thank you.

Mr B1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Has anyone ever actually seen a listing of campground rules that state the RV must be RVIA certified?
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Has anyone ever actually seen a listing of campground rules that state the RV must be RVIA certified?
Yep....... Sure have; a few of them, in our 2 years of fairly extensive travel in our coach........ It took me a few minutes to think about it the first time I read it, but then it made sense.

Goes along with a "10 year old rule", Class A only, Class A with a minimum length, Class A / 5er only, or "we have the right to approve any RV using our facilities", etc. limitations....
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yep....... Sure have; a "few" of them, in 2 years of fairly extensive travel in our coach........
Wow, interesting. I don't believe I have ever seen that listed in the rules of any campground I have stayed at, in 28 years. Of course, maybe I've just never looked hard, either? I can see restricting non-RVIA rigs to a non-electric space (based on the perceived electrical "danger"), but otherwise...

Quote:
"10 year old rule", Class A only, Class A with a minimum length, Class A / 5er only, or "we have the right to approve any RV using our facilities", etc. limitations....
Yeah, I'm thinking that any of those campgrounds are doing so well that they certainly don't need my business anyway!