Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #57

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You are a wise man Dave!
It's very natural to fear unknown or unfamiliar surroundings. I'm guessing an over night in a Walmart parking lot would cause heart palpitations. If they are open to expanding their experience base then they would certainly gain a great deal by following your lead.

It might be good to have a frank discussion about their fears & see if they would be open to new challenges.
We've stayed over night in WalMart lots (when my DW was still alive), sometimes right next to a Prevost or Newell. I did lock the compartment doors, entrance door and turn on the alarm system though!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #58

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
I do love the remote locks on the storage. Regards
I do too, if I remember to use the inside button to lock them! When I use the fob to open the entrance door it unlocks most of the bay doors. At night I can use the fob inside to lock everything or the switch by the door to lock just the bays and then manually lock the deadbolt. Problem with the last one is, using the fob also sets the alarm system so if I open the entrance door the alarm gets triggered.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #59

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We love city/county/state/national parks, but since we've gone BIG, I rarely look at them when traveling unless we've been there before or I know someone that has. I've learned that even a published site size is no indication of access to that site (can I get to it?).

The percentage of public parks that can accommodate our size is very small. Add to that, many are impossible to get into if you haven't made reservations a year in advance (at least any site we'd fit on). I know this is true of at least our home state of Wisconsin as well as Florida and I suspect many others

We'd love to sit around the campfire with you at your favorite state park, but usually end up at a nearby RV "resort" that can accommodate us.
Same here for the same reason! Just can't fit anymore. Can't say we have any more fun than we did in the first MH we bought new in 1988 (17' Okanagan Type B) but we surehave more doo dads and room.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #60

Rv park snob? Or is it something else?

Retired LEO here.

When a theft/vehicle prowl or whatever occurred in our jurisdiction, we tended to put as much effort into the investigation as the reporting party (victim?) put in safeguarding his property. Didn't lock your doors? or bays? or car? or boat?
We would take the info and give you a case # for your insurance company.
Case closed, no follow-up.

I tired of people telling me how trusting they were, they never locked their home or car, the gun was always safe under the pickup seat etc, and how "NOTHING bad ever happened around here." Off the top of my head I was aware of one murder, several suspicious deaths, extensive residential burglaries and other negative stats that had occurred within a mile radius. I would just chuckle and say "you are right, nothing ever happens around here, have a nice day."

We worked hard for the legit victims though.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
(Rolling eyes) Legit victim. I guess I didn't receive that training or missed that class somehow.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Retired LEO here.

When a theft/vehicle prowl or whatever occurred in our jurisdiction, we tended to put as much effort into the investigation as the reporting party (victim?) put in safeguarding his property. Didn't lock your doors? or bays? or car? or boat?
We would take the info and give you a case # for your insurance company.
Case closed, no follow-up.

I tired of people telling me how trusting they were, they never locked their home or car, the gun was always safe under the pickup seat etc, and how "NOTHING bad ever happened around here." Off the top of my head I was aware of one murder, several suspicious deaths, extensive residential burglaries and other negative stats that had occurred within a mile radius. I would just chuckle and say "you are right, nothing ever happens around here, have a nice day."

We worked hard for the legit victims though.
Cops don't get to decide who is the legit victim, its above your pay grade!

I can't stand that attitude! That's why I don't call them unless the insurance requires it, and then I have to think hard about it.

We have a "puffer law" in CO that says you can't start your car remotely or with a second key and leave it running outside to warm it up in the winter even though its locked. Do it and get a ticket with a hefty fine. An example of the innocent being punished for the crime of others.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #63

Several years ago one of our more "upscale" neighborhoods was up in arms over all the "burglaries" of their vehicles, and made several complaints to our PD as well as City Council members. We took the problem solving route and held a community meeting to give the people some advice and ways to protect their property. While we were holding the meeting we had Police Cadets going thru the parking lot and checking the vehicles for unlocked doors, purses/wallets, computers and other valuables left in plain sight. They placed red tags on cars that were potential victims by their own lack of attention/care, and green tags on the cars that were parked and safeguarded as much as they could be. During our presentation, we told them to look for the tags at the end of the meeting. Out of 100 cars, 65 of them got red tags.

Bottom line is it isn't a "burglary" if the vehicle is not locked to begin with, and then is simply a theft. Second is why give the burglars a head start, it only takes a second to lock something, and most burglars are lazy and will go to the point of least resistance. We have never had anything stolen from our Campgrounds whether in a Resort or State/Federal Campground but we still lock everything when we leave the MH or at night.

I really don't care what others do or where they choose to stay, I think the ones that are worrying about what everyone else does, or passing judgement may be the snooty ones.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
We stay at County, State, and National Parks and Forests. I've stayed at a handful of RV parks but only if it's a big city without campgrounds nearby.

My MH is probably on the lower end of the $value scale of what's usually in the parks but I still keep everything locked up at night and when we aren't there. Even then the storage doors are some flimsy fiberglass, I doubt it would take long to break into my locked bays without a key.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #65

I find the cop bashing entertaining in a thread about being a snob or not...

For me, I believe it is human nature to contribute to a cause to a direct degree as those you are dealing with...

I am an electromechanical engineer, and when a client asks me to repair something, I do my best to do just that.

However, if they simply point at a machine, and say it is 'broke', there is a far greater likelihood that the repair will be more difficult and possibly not on target or not as completely done (because I do not know exactly what the client wants me to fix) as with other clients.

If the client, on the other hand, shows that they are familiar with the function of the machine they want repaired, are aware of what it does when it works, and what it is not doing now, what they expect from the machine and what they are not getting, the repair is more likely to be on target. If they show interest in preventative maintenance in heading off the next fault, or genuine concern for the problem at hand, they will not just get my standard professional action, but often will get performance above and beyond the repair at hand, but more data and advice that will improve the overall performance of that machine.

In other words, if they care and act appropriately, they get better service... If they act detached and uninterested, they get service that is better than they offered, but not as good as the earlier example.

Most issues start with the owner of the original equipment. Maintained machines break less, locked items get stolen less often.

While some machines break even with good maintenance, and some items get stolen even when locked up, problems do not happen in a vacuum.

So, in this thread about snobbery, I have learned that there are lots of perspectives on if you should lock up or not, or camp in state forests or not. But the most snobbery I have witnessed on this thread was not about campers at all...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OP, consider that the reason they lock their bays while they are in the MH might be so they don't forget to do it another time. That'd be something I would do (both locking them at odd times, and forgetting to do so sometimes).

Anyway, as others have said, there will be many others who have living and travel habits that don't mesh well with yours at this time. Wish them well and move on separately if it's too annoying.

It's all good and we are all fortunate to have the opportunity to camp and travel.

Kumbaya :-)
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I find the cop bashing entertaining in a thread about being a snob or not...

hmmm - seems this took a turn to victim bashing before it became cop bashing.....

but I believe the difference in your story and the cop, was you still tried to help, even if the outcome wasn't going to be as good as it could be. There are always preventative measures that can be taken to avoid hassles. Locking doors, hiding things of value, not posting your email in your signature on a public forum................. some folks are just a little more reckless than others, but it doesn't mean you should be denied service. Should the Fire Dept show up and ask when you last checked the batteries in your smoke detector before they go to the trouble to waste water on your fire?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Cops don't get to decide who is the legit victim, its above your pay grade!
Amen.

Quote:
We have a "puffer law" in CO that says you can't start your car remotely or with a second key and leave it running outside to warm it up in the winter even though its locked. Do it and get a ticket with a hefty fine. An example of the innocent being punished for the crime of others.
Who gives them the right to do that. Remote start is a federally tested approved system if it wasn't the Feds would not allow vehicles to be sold with it. Sound like CO is becoming another nanny state that I have no desire to live in.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Amen.

Who gives them the right to do that. Remote start is a federally tested approved system if it wasn't the Feds would not allow vehicles to be sold with it. Sound like CO is becoming another nanny state that I have no desire to live in.
I think this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but I agree. My car has an automatic feature that starts it. I don't know what they are trying to solve by telling me that the factory option that came in my car is not okay to use.

Is this supposed to save fuel? Is it supposed to cut down on hydrocarbons in the air? Is it supposed to supplement the automotive repair industry, causing people to drive cold engines with poor oil pressure?

I did post in the Pet Peeve issue that one of my peeves is do gooders that impose their dumb rules on others, most often without justification.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
OP, consider that the reason they lock their bays while they are in the MH might be so they don't forget to do it another time. That'd be something I would do (both locking them at odd times, and forgetting to do so sometimes).

Anyway, as others have said, there will be many others who have living and travel habits that don't mesh well with yours at this time. Wish them well and move on separately if it's too annoying.

It's all good and we are all fortunate to have the opportunity to camp and travel.

Kumbaya :-)
I definitely agree we are fortunate. As most threads this probably took a right turn! I also lock up when I'm not there, or in for the night. I don't worry or even stress about it when I'm sitting out under my shade canopy, and enjoying the experience. I've been in top rv parks, and some not so great and have never had any issues. If I'm careless and leave something unlocked and get ripped off, then so be it. I think you can really limit yourself to some spetacular scenery if you only will go to a higher end park. Again my opinion, it works for me and does not bother me one way or other if our traveling partners don't want to go. I really do appreciate the comments and great advice on this thread. Regards