Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Whatever happened to the days when you could leave your stuff out and have a very high expectation of it being there when you returned? When did it get to the situation where we had to protect our possessions?

When did it get to the condition where we accept the situation???

At the ripe young age of 64, I've oft heard of these wonderful places and great times but I've never seen them. And I've lived in towns with as few as 250 people and more than 2,000,000. Honesty and integrity are character traits found in over 95% of the population, reinforced by locks in various forms.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Whatever happened to the days when you could leave your stuff out and have a very high expectation of it being there when you returned? When did it get to the situation where we had to protect our possessions?

I'm still having those days!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I live in Colorado too, just north of Denver. As for the puffer law, it only applies if the car is parked on public right-of-way. If it is in your garage (hopefully with the garage door open) or in your driveway, no law is broken. Also, if your car has remote start, I have heard it is ok as well. Not sure about that part though. Anyway, one reason the law was passed was to cut down on air pollution. If you car sits outside running for 10 minutes that is 10 minutes more pollution being poured into the environment. The air in the high altitude parts of the state is thinner and therefore more affected by pollution. My V-6 Toyota gets warm in about 5 minutes of driving anyway. There is also a safety factor. If your car is sitting there running with the keys in the ignition, some kid could come by and get in and start playing with the controls and possibly put the transmission in gear. This may be why the remote start is allowed; no key in ignition and no unlocked doors.
Do they ticket out of state cars? Seems like it would be hard to enforce on out of staters unless they put signs all over the place. Unusual laws like that can be fought by non residents.

I'm planing to add the same system police use in their K9 cars to the Ram 3500 we'll get to pull our new RV. That way we can take the dogs and still be able to leave the vehicle for short periods of time without worrying about it getting hot in the truck. If anything fails, i.e., engine stops or it gets above a set tempature, you get a radio alert and selected windoes roll down. I'm guessing CO would want to ticket me for that.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #88

We prefer State parks, national parks, COE, etc. They are more reasonable, we really do not care for the fancy parks as we like to chill out and relax, maybe some canoeing or fishing or just relax and enjoy the animals that are usually around the parks we go to. Also Fl. parks usually have a treed space between sites too. I have never had anything stolen from em in the parks we visit and usually do not lock anything up except the pickup. My tool box and the outdoor kitchen sits on the picnic table along with the LP tank that I take for the kitchen. Seem like some people are paranoid and may have a reason for it, who knows. But from my way of thinking I make my reservation where we want to go and someone else can come or go to the park they prefer.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Couldn't agree more! Regards
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
What can be swiped from my storage bays is worthless compared to the damage of broken bay doors.
I must be making wise choices and staying in the right places to have not ever had any issues.
Sorry ! Couldn't agree more to this comment? Regards
Old 09-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
DNine Oaks I like the way you roll! Sounds a lot less stressful.Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks2004 View Post
We prefer State parks, national parks, COE, etc. They are more reasonable, we really do not care for the fancy parks as we like to chill out and relax, maybe some canoeing or fishing or just relax and enjoy the animals that are usually around the parks we go to. Also Fl. parks usually have a treed space between sites too. I have never had anything stolen from em in the parks we visit and usually do not lock anything up except the pickup. My tool box and the outdoor kitchen sits on the picnic table along with the LP tank that I take for the kitchen. Seem like some people are paranoid and may have a reason for it, who knows. But from my way of thinking I make my reservation where we want to go and someone else can come or go to the park they prefer.
Nine Oaks I like the way you roll, sounds a lot less stressful! Regards
Old 09-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #92

Quote:

Honestly, in our 16 years of full-timing, traveling constantly and staying in public parks and boondocking in the wilds, we've never had a problem and didn't feel a need to lock up everything when we left the site.

I think the key is to be aware of your surroundings. If you don't feel comfortable when you first enter the park then leave.

We just couldn't have traveled the way we did if we felt we always had to be looking over our shoulder or scanning every person that walked by. For the most part, people are honest. That's what we've found, anyway.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How many of you ran a padlock around your cord to the frame of the coach because folks were stealing them? I heard it was for the copper, but kind of a waste for a $200 cord.

Anyway, that's the apitome of how low we go - stealing for the copper..
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
We travel with other friends, and one couple in particular wants to avoid either state parks, or parks that that don't look like a high end resort? Their reasoning is that there is too much riff raff that will rip you off. We don't mind staying in state or other well maintained RV parks. I've never been vandalized or ripped off. This couple locks their storage compartments and every lock on their coach even when they are inside. What's other people's experience or thoughts around this? Regards, Marc
I think a lot of people that have replied to your question have jumped off your subject. I don't think that your traveling couple are snob's. I'm not sure on avoiding state parks or low end camping is their thing. If your not comfortable with them tell them you can't make it and be on your way.I have young children and high end resort's are not for me personally. I just enjoy camping with the kid's getting out and living life. I do lock my belly compartment's on the driver's side (at all times) just so I don't forget ( out of sight out of mind) . I don't lock anything on passenger side because the door is all revolving. I think if your friend's wish to lock every thing (they have the right) they have worked for their stuff it's theirs do what they wish, but locking passenger side while sitting there is ridiculous to me. If there is someone in the camp ground that's stealing from other camper's and need it that bad so be it. (life is a circle what comes around goes around it will come back on them). That my opin. enjoy life while you have it!!!
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Na that's a copout - The value of my Dad's gear and my Grandfather's gear camping was respectively the same as mine. They all had RVs, campstoves, flyrods, lanterns, etc. Now you and I may have had a tent and a bag in the trunk of a beatup car when we were young, but that doesn't mean that's how everyone in the campground was.

Moral content of your neighbor different than before, maybe so.
I don't agree with the value of quality of available camping gear to be stolen today is the same as in generations past, but we do not need to agree.

We do have common ground on the concept of a tremendous moral decline on most every measurable or identifiable aspect of life.

I believe there are still many fine and moral people out there. But there is far less accountability than they used to be, and surely less accountability to one's own conscience. Right and Wrong have been largely replaced with stats and likelihood of getting caught.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #96

There are all different kinds of campgrounds. Some are more like resorts you can even call like room service and have food delivered. Somewhere like boondocking next to nothing as far as service wise. Rustic and many different kinds in between. Just like there are many kinds of RVs out there everything from the very fancy Class A models to tents. I think they were designed so we could all enjoy. Snob or not I don't think it matters attitudes have little to do with the truth of camping. I enjoy The Rustic camping. National parks state parks and Coe's. Just had to get my two cents in. Everyone have a great season and if your full timing enjoy... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Park Snob? Or is it something else?

I trust everyone until they prove they are undeserving of my trust, yet I still lock my doors and under storage. Like checking my oil even though I only have driven a few miles since the last check, being careful is the reasonable and mature thing to do. It's not being paranoid, it is being responsible.

I once heard a religious leader say that to leave your stuff open to be easily stolen may be what tempts someone, especially a younger person, who wasn't thinking of stealing something into now taking it. It's our responsibility to care for our property.

I do disagree with the idea that you should avoid our nation's parks because of riff raff. That's an offensive attitude to my value system. Throughout history the biggest thieves have worn silk, not rags.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #98

The park really doesn't matter. Its people. We never lock things in campgrounds except the main door when away. The only thing I have ever had taken was a cooler full of cold beer at a very nice park in Pensacola this spring. Suspect kids trolling along the beach who found an easy target. I replaced the cooler and the beer and wished them a huge hangover. All that being said, I forgot to lock my truck in our driveway at home a few weeks ago and lost a camera, ipod, tool bag, etc. My oversight and I have to live with it. So now, lock everything at home, but still not in campgrounds. FWIW, we love both high end resorts and COE campgrounds. Enjoy variety in life and the good people you meet.