Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #15

We keep our door locked and our compartment doors locked at all times. That does not make us snobs, just cautious and we love state and and national parks. Why make things easy for people to steal.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That couple is uncomfortable, insecure in places unfamiliar. It ain't their fault! Locking doors and bays is just a reflex action.
Chill out. Be patient.
Ain't nothing here that a good beer and a friendly talk wouldn't help.
Both sides need to talk honestly, listen carefully, and learn the differences in their camping styles.
This has worked for me many times!
Best wishes

You are a wise man Dave!
It's very natural to fear unknown or unfamiliar surroundings. I'm guessing an over night in a Walmart parking lot would cause heart palpitations. If they are open to expanding their experience base then they would certainly gain a great deal by following your lead.

It might be good to have a frank discussion about their fears & see if they would be open to new challenges.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #17

I love the State/National/Provincial/Federal Parks!
But what on earth is wrong with locking storage bays?
Why do manufacturers put locks on them?
SailorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #18

I've worked both armed and unarmed security and will swear in court that locked anything is safer/smarter than unlocked. And some insurance companies will refuse a claim if doors/windows/etc. isn't locked. As for areas to camp, contact local law enforcement for where you want to go and ask them about number of service calls within minimum 1/2 mile area. Sometimes you will find higher crime rates in 'high-end' areas simply because it is 'high-end'.
azmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You likely can't change them. You can only change the way you see them. They may have very good reasons for their fear, but even if they don't, it's theirs. Bend to their will and their fears to be around them, or don't.

But it ain't your problem.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #20

They are what they are.. reason or not.

I lock my stuff. but that is what Insurance is for.

I stay at state parks.. 40 plus years. not one issue.

I have had 2 cars stolen.. both times cars were Locked. one at home other at work.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #21

We do not use state parks at all! Why my DW wants full hook-ups and both A/C running, when we need them to run. Will this will leave out most state parks since they do not offer sewer and some do not even have 50 AMP sites in our area. I also need 50'+ size long sites to park the trailer and truck on the site.

We have used C.O.E. parks with full-hook up 50 AMP site and some federal parks that also offer full-hook up 50 AMP site.

We also lock all of are compartment doors on the trailer 100% of the time. Why ask for trouble by not locking.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing wrong, but when I'm sitting under the awning I don't worry about it, I do lock them when I'm not around.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
We travel with other friends, and one couple in particular wants to avoid either state parks, or parks that that don't look like a high end resort? Their reasoning is that there is too much riff raff that will rip you off. We don't mind staying in state or other well maintained RV parks. I've never been vandalized or ripped off. This couple locks their storage compartments and every lock on their coach even when they are inside. What's other people's experience or thoughts around this? Regards, Marc
rvadventure
Those people are paranoid, (maybe paranoid snobs?).

My compartments have not been locked since my coach was new to me, (except if/when it was left unattended overnight at service shops).

Nothing has ever been stolen from my coach, (or from any campsite). even in not so well maintained RV parks, rest areas or Walmart parking lots.

BTW I don't know how paranoid people can enjoy the RV experience, (or life for that matter).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #24

Well I feel sorry for your friends and anyone else that makes blanket decisions like that. Very short sighted to say the least. I call it ignorant. Their loss. Imagine all the beautiful experiences they are missing in life with that attitude. Either way, more room for the rest of us.

Life is short, surround yourself with positive people and experiences.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our motor home has the remote control compartment locks. I is a simple task to push a button to lock and unlock the compartments. I also use the remote on my Explorer to keep it locked, but it unlocks when I touch the door handle. I hate the inconvenience of locks, but I hate even more the inconvenience of not having what I put there gone.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #26

I say to each there own doesn't make you a snob.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Guess we are snobs!

I HATE parallel park campgrounds where the view from my awning is the neighbors utility center and his sewer hose runs under my picnic table - also don't necessarily like gravel or dirt, and don't like looking at skirted resident units with all the crap stored around it.

But - you do what you have to do to get where you need to be. I've met some of the nicest people at some of the dingiest campgrounds.

PS - I really wished my compartments locked with a switch. It takes a while to lock and unlock and I regret not pursuing that feature further. I lock, not because I care about the value, I just want to find my grill there when I get ready to cook a burger.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Tell them to park between the Prevost and The Newell like we had at the last State Park we were in then they can be the riff-raff. They are pair-i-noid for some reason. I keep all but two bays locked, they are the wet bay if I'm using it and the bay with the drinks, both are locked when traveling. If newer RVers you might change them if not you will not change them. With all that said I can see their point about some places and parks. But if they are firm or the State parks, boy they are missing some great places to stay.

LEN