Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
hmmm - seems this took a turn to victim bashing before it became cop bashing.....
Actually, there were several postings bashing those who lock up by those who don't.

I don't personally care, but people can do what makes them feel good and comfortable. I installed keypad locks on my home, so that the kids could use their birth dates to always get in, and would never be locked out of the house, and the side effect is that the house always automatically locked itself.

My wife loved it, but also would deadbolt the house when she was home, but never when out of the house. It made her feel better. It did not improve our security, but made her feel more secure. That is reason enough.

I don't lock half of what she locks. For me, a locked door does not make me feel particularly secure. We are all different.

Bottom line is you need to secure your stuff if you want to keep it. Everyone gets to determine how to secure it on their own. But if you don't lock it up, you get to feel outraged or even violated if your stuff is stolen, but you don't get to feel surprised. If you don't lock up your stuff, and it gets stolen, you don't get to tell insurance companies and cops that you were not contributory in the loss, because you were.

In the previous post, I mentioned that I have a built in auto starter in my car. I said it was silly or inappropriate for someone to tell me not to use it. Well, long before any car had an auto starter, it had door locks.

Just like I do not respect the CO law that says I am not to use my auto starter, I also do not respect the posters who say it does not matter if they lock their car or not relative to having stuff stolen. It does matter.

Do not confuse my saying I do not respect the statement with meaning I do not respect the person saying it. I am proud of my service in the US Army, and my service was to protect our way of life, very much including our right to express our own opinions. I do not have to agree with it to defend the right to say it.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 AM   #72

RV Park Snob? Or is it something else?

I think some people wear "I'm very trusting" like a badge of honour and consider everyone who use locks a paranoid freak!

I've worked very very hard to give my family the best life I could and if some scum bag is going to steal from me they are going to have to break through locks! Period.

Everyone can do as they please.
SailorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #73

What can be swiped from my storage bays is worthless compared to the damage of broken bay doors.
I must be making wise choices and staying in the right places to have not ever had any issues.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
...... Why make things easy for people to steal......
Some people believe that it's easier to replace the stuff than get the doors/locks repaired. Locks probably prevent kids from messing around. The thieves just laugh and pry it open if they want in.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live out in the middle of the desert. Have had a lot of problems with the local coyotes stealing canned food out of the lower compartments. They are such mischievous fellas they some times will pull my septic valve and then close the door. SO.... I lock my lower compartments.

When I'm in high dollar RV parks I worry that the DP folks will be a little short on their SS checks, make their DP payment, but still need some can goods to make it to the end of the month. Locks keep them out of lower compartments.....

Or, I forgot to close the valve and ate the food myself! (-:f

I rarely stay in state or fed parks anymore because I've gotten tired of the government enities holding the space hostage that I've already paid for with my past taxes. the modern reservation system for a public park seems to me like a waste of money and locks out the folks who can't or don't want to make reservations. I mean, why have a moho if youv'e got to make reservations at a state park that have no hookups. Then there are the rates, you might as well rent a cheap motel room, or just park along the road somewhere for free.

I look at it now like when city folks want to get a dose of country living they go to a state or fed park.

Pulled into an Oregon state park because we were desperate and it was filled with DP's. No kids running around, the place was empty except for the roar of gen sets and AC. And I'm to stay there because I want to sit around a camp fire and sing cumbyah and listen to the gen sets and ac's thrum????
Needless to say reservations for spaces were 6 weeks out.

Went up the road a mile and stayed in a pull out along the road. It was quiet, no gen sets running and great cell reception, for free.

Folks buy these huge moho's then are forced to find parking for them. Hard to stealth park a 40ft DP.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
To trusting????? maybe........

While traveling and making over night stops, everything is locked up. When I get to the campground/resort, everything is unlocked and out side stuff, stays outside. I have found folks camping are not there to steal your belonging's...........if needed, they are there to help you if you need anything or just chat.
Just last week at a resort in Tennessee, the wind started to blow pretty good, I put my awning's up, sat down in the sun, and looked down across the resort........a fellas awning was straight up in the air over the Coach.......electric awning........arm's folded back to their stowed position, awning folded in half........straight up in the air over the Coach, slapping down on the roof and the AC units
The end was not to far off for this awning, as the arm's were already starting to get bent up some.......
I went running down to his Coach as they were gone............I was having a hard time as the arm's were going up and down and they were to high to get a hold of.............two other fella's saw me struggling with it and came running over...........one drug the picnic table over to one end and the other guy pulled his golf cart over so he could get up on it to reach the other end and hold it.........I checked the door.........and lucky for them , they had left it "Un-locked".........opened the door.......and their two little dog's stood there just looking at me, looked around the step area........and found the button for the awning, while the two fella's held it down, I retracted the awning..............If their door had been locked........there would of been nothing we could of done for them.............even worse......if something like a fire had started inside..........I also would of got their doggie's out!
Until a problem comes..........I will continue to trust my fello camper's
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Amen.

Who gives them the right to do that. Remote start is a federally tested approved system if it wasn't the Feds would not allow vehicles to be sold with it. Sound like CO is becoming another nanny state that I have no desire to live in.
I live in Colorado too, just north of Denver. As for the puffer law, it only applies if the car is parked on public right-of-way. If it is in your garage (hopefully with the garage door open) or in your driveway, no law is broken. Also, if your car has remote start, I have heard it is ok as well. Not sure about that part though. Anyway, one reason the law was passed was to cut down on air pollution. If you car sits outside running for 10 minutes that is 10 minutes more pollution being poured into the environment. The air in the high altitude parts of the state is thinner and therefore more affected by pollution. My V-6 Toyota gets warm in about 5 minutes of driving anyway. There is also a safety factor. If your car is sitting there running with the keys in the ignition, some kid could come by and get in and start playing with the controls and possibly put the transmission in gear. This may be why the remote start is allowed; no key in ignition and no unlocked doors.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Some people believe that it's easier to replace the stuff than get the doors/locks repaired. Locks probably prevent kids from messing around. The thieves just laugh and pry it open if they want in.
Good point. Locks are made to keep honest people honest. Crooks will always find a way in. One thing though, a lock may make the thief move on to an easier target. And lighting may make the thief go break in somewhere where he is less likely to be noticed.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Whatever happened to the days when you could leave your stuff out and have a very high expectation of it being there when you returned? When did it get to the situation where we had to protect our possessions?

When did it get to the condition where we accept the situation???
Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I think this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but I agree. My car has an automatic feature that starts it. I don't know what they are trying to solve by telling me that the factory option that came in my car is not okay to use.

Is this supposed to save fuel? Is it supposed to cut down on hydrocarbons in the air? Is it supposed to supplement the automotive repair industry, causing people to drive cold engines with poor oil pressure?

The law had nothing to do with air pollution or energy - it had to do with the City deciding people were tempting the thieves. Instead of putting the cops on the trail of thieves, they spend their time ticketing victims, who are now criminals.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Whatever happened to the days when you could leave your stuff out and have a very high expectation of it being there when you returned? When did it get to the situation where we had to protect our possessions?

I think those days were when camping gear consisted of a cloth tent, a cloth sleeping bag and an iron skillet over an open fire.

Camping gear now a days is nicer than many of us had as homes back in the day when you could leave your stuff out. Face it, we left our stuff out because no one really wanted it, as well as they had higher moral content than many people today.

Today, if I were to say that 'my word is my bond', I would not get the approval nods of yesteryear. Today I would get a puzzled look on most faces, and the occasional query as to what that means...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #82
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

when the government said kids could no longer work before the age of 16. kids use to be able to earn their own money for clothes and things they needed/ wanted so they learned the value of a dollar. also when the government allowed people to have an entitlement attitude with "giveaway programs ".......
sad state of affairs
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I live in Colorado too, just north of Denver. As for the puffer law, it only applies if the car is parked on public right-of-way. If it is in your garage (hopefully with the garage door open) or in your driveway, no law is broken. Also, if your car has remote start, I have heard it is ok as well. Not sure about that part though. Anyway, one reason the law was passed was to cut down on air pollution. If you car sits outside running for 10 minutes that is 10 minutes more pollution being poured into the environment. The air in the high altitude parts of the state is thinner and therefore more affected by pollution. My V-6 Toyota gets warm in about 5 minutes of driving anyway. There is also a safety factor. If your car is sitting there running with the keys in the ignition, some kid could come by and get in and start playing with the controls and possibly put the transmission in gear. This may be why the remote start is allowed; no key in ignition and no unlocked doors.
Its confusing, but there are several puffer laws in Colorado - some aimed at pollution, some at theft. 9 cities have a pollution puffer law that says idling is limited to 5 minutes, even if you are sitting in the car. Colorado has a law (C.R.S. 42-4-1206) that says you no car shall run unattended that gets used by some of the cities when they want to. Different twist. Denver expanded on their puffer law for auto theft, stating the car cannot be running, in your driveway or street, unattended. During the last blizzard, they did decide to try to allow remote start, but never heard if it passed.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I think those days were when camping gear consisted of a cloth tent, a cloth sleeping bag and an iron skillet over an open fire.

Camping gear now a days is nicer than many of us had as homes back in the day when you could leave your stuff out. Face it, we left our stuff out because no one really wanted it, as well as they had higher moral content than many people today.

Today, if I were to say that 'my word is my bond', I would not get the approval nods of yesteryear. Today I would get a puzzled look on most faces, and the occasional query as to what that means...
Na that's a copout - The value of my Dad's gear and my Grandfather's gear camping was respectively the same as mine. They all had RVs, campstoves, flyrods, lanterns, etc. Now you and I may have had a tent and a bag in the trunk of a beatup car when we were young, but that doesn't mean that's how everyone in the campground was.

Moral content of your neighbor different than before, maybe so.