Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
RV Parking

I'd love to hear anyone's account of problems with getting to a park and finding out even though the spaces fit your RV it was a nightmare to get into it. I'm looking at getting a 40 plus foot and want to know what may or can happen.

byrsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
My 40 foot motorhome is just as maneuverable as my pickup with a 20 foot trailer, but then again I have only been in a camp ground once.

Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
I tend to err on the safe side... My wife calls it fanatical
My first rule is to always try to arrive at the CG before dark. This helps with keeping up with terra firma to drive on as well as rogue limbs that might want to scratch my sides. On occasion when I do arrive after dark, I like to get out with my flashlight n walk the route to the site, taking notes of the same issues above. Can I make the turns with or without the toad? Where do I want to be on the site so that my slides and awnings are not obstructed? Can I get out relatively easy? With or without toad? Etc...
Not sure if this is what You mean but hope this helps
2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Originally Posted by byrsch View Post
I'd love to hear anyone's account of problems with getting to a park and finding out even though the spaces fit your RV it was a nightmare to get into it. I'm looking at getting a 40 plus foot and want to know what may or can happen.
We have a 35' motorhome and always pull a towd. Access can be a problem in a few areas and that is why we always make certain we can get where we need to. Sometimes that means unhooking the towd to drive ahead. Many commercial rv parks have narrow roads and some are harder to maneuver than others, but the only real issues we have had are in some of the older state parks. In some of those, the access roads and/or low hanging tree limbs were an issue.

All in all, though, problems with larger motorhome access are few and where we can go 40 foot units also go with no problems. Most commercial, state, and COE areas can handle longer motorhomes. If in doubt ask or look first before driving into an uncomfortabe spot. After a few trips you will find your confidence level climbing and you will have few problems.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
We've never had a serious problem getting to a park or to our spot once we were there. After a few "adventures" we are now more conscientious about following the campground's suggestions of which roads to use to get to them. There have been a few for which the CG's route seemed circuitous, but usually it has been justified. One time we did have someone at the front desk comment that "you didn't really drive here on that road, did you?" After that and a couple of other "close calls" we make sure to look at the route beforehand.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every campground will be somewhat different. Typically the larger resort type campgrounds will be easier to get around down to COE and state parks can sometimes be a challenge.

In all the years I've been camping, I've only ran into a couple that I didn't think I could get in. Even with those, I've just ask for another site.

After getting into a site then get out, look around and you may have to move around a little. Its nothing for me to have to re-locate sideways or pull up or back a little.

I don't sweat these little things, just go and let the little things work themselves out.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi byrsch,
I always reserve a pull through site. No pull through available, I choose another CG in the same area. When on the road, I reserve overnight stops when having lunch in a rest area. When staying at a place for a while, I make a reservation well in advance to ensure I get a pull through site. This also helps on get away day. I can hookup the toad the night before.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
When you get a newer 43-45 foot coach you know you limit yourself regarding campgrounds...most new 45 foot rigs are 13 ft or higher...that compares with 12 to 12ft 6 inches found less than 10 years ago...I wish that more people with a 38ft coach with 12ft 6 height would remember that is not a big rig anymore, and yes i had a 38ft 1998 dsdp before present coach anf there is a difference.

So what do I do. I use Big Rigs Best Bets, RV Park Reviews, and friends with similar coaches, and ignore woodalls and such. They do not rate ease of use or tree trimming. I also plan to arrive around way before dark so as noted by a previous poster you can see the limbs that hang down and the boulders placed at the corners. Even though I'm only 43 ft I tell park I'm 45. Parks think big with 45 ft and think 40ft when you tell them 43. Not sure why but they do.

Then hope for the best.
I didn't survive cancer to die of stress
2009 DADP "4331" Alaska trip site and more
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
I also agree with clubmed
Just went from 40' @ 12-6 to 45' @ 13'
There is a huge difference
2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Getting in is not normally a problem. However, on several occasions, we have gotten in, set up and realized the slides will not go all the way out due to a tree limb, power stalk, etc. I try to check first, but don't always remember. What I did do was take the rod used for the awnings and marked off with masking tape the distance each slide goes out. So now I just walk around and as long as the rod, when against the side of the coach, does not hit the obstacle...I'm okay.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I am sure this is going to be a learning curve for us, we went from a 22' Class C to a 34' Class A, though my DH can drive anything and has no problems backing anything, so far...lol We plan on taking the MH home to a empty parking lot and he is going to let me practice driving the MH and backing it up. I told him I need to get a feel for our new toy.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had a problem except in a state park where my wife wanted to go through the tenting/dry RV area rather than to the full hookup sites . One corner was tight and I had to unload the Ody off the dolly and have her drive it. No problems after that.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Last year we upgraded from a 35' Gasser (11'-0" tall) to a 42' SSDP (13'-2" tall). Really love the room and ride of the larger rig.

Took the new one down to a resort we own a share of. Have had the old there several times and never had an issue parking it. The new one was a little different.
We reserved a 60' back-in spot on a hill that we wanted to camp at. I went down first, alone, and my wife came down later. Well, the site was 60' deep, but narrower than I anticipated and there were lots of branches hanging around.

Pulled down the hill to the site (one way), pulled the tow dolly off and rolled it out of the way.

Backed in up-hill and to my right to get into the site. Took me 4 tries to get in. Back part way in, get out, look for obsticles, check out where I was and if it would go the rest of the way in. Roll forward, reposiition, back part way in, repeat, repeat, repeat. Got it backed all the way in, got out and measured for the slide, rolled forward about a foot, dropped the jacks, leveled up and put the slide out. Water, sewer and electric. 30 minutes from start to finish.

An older guy (uh, I'm 53) in the next spot up the hill (with a long TT) came over after I got parked and congratulated me for getting it in without hitting anything and not scraping the sides with any branches.

It was a tight fit, but once in and set up, it was a great site. Lots of shade for the daytime, stars visable out the front of the site at night. Nobody down the hill or across from us. Short walk to all the amenities the resort has to offer. It was a fantasic weekend.

Practice, patience, care and belief in your abilities will alow you to get your rig into almost any place you want. Take you time and check your space often. Sometimes it just take a few tries.

Might look into getting a pull-through spot next time.

Mike and Carla
1998 42' Overland Larado Diesel Pusher
On the road - here and there - Full Timing
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
I'm still pretty new at this, but I practiced using only my side mirrors to back up in my car for many weeks before I got the RV. Every time I take the RV out I make a point of finding a place to back into, such as a parking lot or a service drive by a closed store. As Mike said, practice, patience, etc. will do it. I figure that by the time I have to deal with a back-in camp site I should be able to handle it.

I am not afraid at all because when I can't see anymore, I stop and get out and look. When I have doubts I stop and start over again. I don't care how many times I have to pull forward and back to get right, I have lots of patience.

I hope I never have to back in in the dark - I think that is a very good thing to consider at all times!

Susan in Music with Mizz Bizzy
bertnspike is offline   Reply With Quote