Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #57

This thread is wandering away from the original op said about parking at CB. It's a Restaurant and people come and go in waves, that's what I was referring to nor did I say I never run into people/problems , I just try my best not to let it ruin my day !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We do not stop at Cracker Barrel with the RV any more for this exact reason. I was in a foul mood one time when we stopped at CB and the RV spaces were full of autos. I merely pulled up between the building and the RV spaces and parked, blocking the autos in. When we returned to the RV we saw about a dozen folks standing near our RV. I told them if they had a complaint take it to the manager as there was nowhere else to park. That must have been 15 years ago.
Been there done that! I didn't have 6 BIKERS to back me up, just 5 grandkids (2-8yrs old).

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to wish any illness on anyone, but my DW has reactive hypoglycemia. She loves CB because they have good salads and, more importantly, a sugar free apple pie with sugar free ice cream on top as one of their featured desserts. Because of her hypoglycemia, she can't have sugar, obviously, But more to the point, she has to eat more frequent and smaller meals, with the exception of the occasional sugar free pie, and that means we usually wind up stopping at Cracker Barrel between 5:00 and 5:30 since she usually gets hungry at that time. For whatever reason, the RV spots are usually wide open at that time. While I agree that the spaces are way too short and occasionally narrow, our 43' MH and 15' of toad will take up 2 to 3 of the spaces. We enjoy our meal, without lingering, and leave, grateful that there is a place that we can drive in and park and get a decent meal. We both like the biscuits too.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #60
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It is frustrating to see those spots filled with cars!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #61

In my experience, the only time you can find an empty "RV labeled" parking spot at a Cracker Barrel is after closing time, (often the parking lot is empty).
That is great for an overnight stay without spending a $.
However, it can be difficult to get back on the road because parked 4 wheelers are be a problem at breakfast time.

But Walmart stores lots always have ample parking, (and bargain prices).
I prefer Walmart, (no designated RV spaces but easy access and plenty of parking) to Cracker Barrel (who would like you to believe they care about RVers with designated spaces that are difficult to get to and rarely available for RV parking).
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
There is only one concrete way to fix this problem. CB should do away with RV/Bus specific parking. A business is better served not saying they provide a service if they can't follow through, which is the case with this situation. JMHO.
That is the BEST answer!
I no longer stop at CB restaurants because it is apparent that they only PRETEND to CARE about RVers.
Mel
'96 Sahara
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #63

For the past couple of years, I have not seen any buses in the CB restaurants....wonder why
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #64

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
A few months ago my wife stopped in a CB in VA. All the RV spots were full and not full out front. So I parked in the side taking up a few spaces. We went in and got a seat. Just as our food we brought to the table the manger came over and asked it was our rig in the side lot. When I told him that it was he asked me to move it to the RV spots. I told him there was cars in all the RV spots when I pulled in so I parked were I could. he told me that there was spots open now because they just had a shift change and they left. I said when I was don eating. He asked me to move it right away as it would soon be there rush hour. My wife and I stood up and walked out and did not pay. Went out to the trailer and made lunch, ate, went to the head and then left.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not much matter if the RV spots have cars in them or not for us as I have never seen a CB rv spot longer than about 42 feet ...no way we can park in one w/o unhooking the toad. They are more like "bus parking" than RV for anyone over 40' total length. We have used CB parking only once in all our travels ...once on the maiden voyage home with no toad, and once when we had to unhook the car.

We had a similar experience at the Lincoln Museum in Springfield IL. I called ahead to ask about RV parking and the lady said, "Yes, we have RV parking!" and told me how to get to the lot. When I pulled in I found I had been suckered as it was all nose-in/back-out parking maybe 45' long, AND, it was a pay lot with a locked gate and no attendant (an no "back out the in gate".) There were not many vehicles in the lot that day so I parked across 8-10 sites and we went to the museum. Then when we came out it took forever to get an attendant on the phone at the exit gate, THEN the attendant told me to walk next door to the parking deck to pay and they would open the gate!

Some places try, but the have no clue!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe any of the "parking issues" are specific to Cracker Barrel by any means. Does any other retail establishment or restaurant go out of their way to make sure that no one is parked in the incorrect area?

No place to park? Move on down the road.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Same here. Every time I pull in to the Cracker Barrel the RV section is virtually unusable because of cars and trucks parked there. The RV section is clearly marked with stripes and signs.

Kind of like vehicles parking right at the front door at McDonald's. 2 acres of free parking and some person with a few fries short of a happy meal parks right where they will surely block everybody coming and going.

Why you ask? Some people are just not trainable I guess.
You mean the 'handicapped' spots???
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I "like" the logic here . . . Let's punish the folks that DIDN'T do anything wrong i.e. the regular customers that DIDN'T park in the RV spaces! Let's take up 7-10 car spaces . . . Yeah, that'll teach them rotten RV parking space interlopers!. And it will have the added benefit of giving RV'ers a bad rep, to boot!!

Kinda like " I can't find the guy that stole my horse, so let's just hang the first couple of innocent people that wonder into town"
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Friend of mine with his RV and trailer and mine with my trailer dealt with the same issue near Rockingham...the car and the driver was not able to leave the parking lot for quite sometime..very easy to lock him in between two RVs and trailers...when we came out he began his rant...when the 6 other fellow bikers plus myself asked him to repeat...he went to his car...shut the door and never said another word...Bet that was his last time ever...
Intimidation... always the best policy..

Not sure if it wouldve worked with me. 6 'bikers' means 6 old, fat dentists...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We do not stop at Cracker Barrel with the RV any more for this exact reason. I was in a foul mood one time when we stopped at CB and the RV spaces were full of autos. I merely pulled up between the building and the RV spaces and parked, blocking the autos in. When we returned to the RV we saw about a dozen folks standing near our RV. I told them if they had a complaint take it to the manager as there was nowhere else to park. That must have been 15 years ago.
Wow, so if the lots full, and you are in your car, you would do the same thing? Or was it just because you had a 'big old rig' in which to block them in with? If it was me, I would've called for a tow and let you deal with were it went..

Tags
handicap