Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV parking Flying J

Forgive me if this has been covered (or please direct me to the thread) I know some Flying J's have designated RV parking slots. But in reality how many spaces? Is it the type of situation where there's a mad rush around 4pm and they're full? Or are there plenty. Obviously this is all dependent upon the route, time of year etc. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
FJ's usually have about 6 spots for RV's. Sometimes you can also parallel park on an edge. And yes, they do fill up early.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

I Flying J camp often. I only found 1 RV area near full. I parked along the curb.
It was on I95 in a southern state, during the fall migration to Florida.

I have, otherwise, always parked in the long, RV marked spaces, but have seen others use car spaces later in the evening.

If you read the small print, I think the welcome RVers to park in any space they can fit.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered (or please direct me to the thread) I know some Flying J's have designated RV parking slots. But in reality how many spaces? Is it the type of situation where there's a mad rush around 4pm and they're full? Or are there plenty. Obviously this is all dependent upon the route, time of year etc. Thanks

We've over nighted at FJ many times. The number and length of the RV spaces are highly variable and depend on the size of the parking area. We have parked with the trucks more often than out front in an RV space. Our first choice is Walmart as there is generally more space.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

We've done overnights at Flying J's but their traffic is non stop all hours of the night. Noise is the biggest issue with trucks entering and exiting all night long. There are many public 24 hour restaurant chains that offer an over night, but in most cases the same issue that makes Flying J somewhat an uncomfortable stop is the same with most of the others as well.

BTW, I see your home plate is Western Springs. I was raised there through the 50's and 60's (oops, yes I'm old ...) and recently attended my 50th Reunion at LT. It was in my youth as it is today, a great little town!

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Flying J parking was way to noisy/busy for us. We look for less active locations.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I prefer Walmart's as they are less noisy and usually we will restock something in the morning just to get out and walk around.

Try this app if you have an iPhone it works well and you can look on your route, select for instance a FJ and it will indicate space availability live time. It's called truckerpath

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452497786.953306.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	116197

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #8

Truck stops are my last choice because of the 24/7 noise mentioned. Wal-Mart usually quiets down after midnight at the 24 hour stores. On the East Coast, Cracker Barrel is the best, since they close at 10PM. Usually just the hum of trucks on the inevitable nearby Interstate.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I parked along the curb at Flying J as they were close to the interstate and the trucks coming and going didn't bother me.

The Walmarts were usually too far away and too difficult to get around the traffic islands.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We do Walmarts often. Haven't had trouble with islands but sometimes low hanging trees are in the entrances. Look for the truck entrance, which is not always easy to find.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We traveled the I 95 corridor from DC to Florida. We left on Dec 28 a Monday and stopped at exit 57 in SC at the Walmart. There was at least 40 RVs there and several trucks. It is right next to I 95 so it is easy to get to. We wanted to leave early and not disturb anyone so we decided to drive a an hour or so and stop and start the generator for coffee and breakfast. We went to exit 104 in GA. and stopped at that Walmart and it had 30 or more RVs also.

On the way home on Jan 8th we stopped at the same Walmart at exit 57 and there were about 20 Rvs there. We have stayed at the Flying Js in the same area and they have fewer places to park and have more truck noise.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #12

I like Cracker Barrel, pickup one of there maps.. shows all stores... and if overnight is available ...

Yes, close at 10.. open at 6. mostly low noise.. in the rear of lot.

some trucks for delivery at 5:30.. good alarm clock for morning start.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
I like Cracker Barrel, pickup one of there maps.. shows all stores... and if overnight is available ...

Yes, close at 10.. open at 6. mostly low noise.. in the rear of lot.

some trucks for delivery at 5:30.. good alarm clock for morning start.
Alarm clock !!!

Second night in the MH we used a rest stop. Didn't want to be in the way so we pulled up near the little fence enclosure.

Guess who comes at 4 AM to get what's inside the fence. Big, loud, top loading garbage truck.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #14

I apologize but I must bring this up. We pulled into a FyingJ off of I95 to fuel and leave around midnight a few days after Christmas. What we found was three campers side by side in front of the rv fuel island SLEEPING! Two had their slides out! Please have some respect for others, I squeezed inches from one and barely was able to get fuel. While pumping I went to the manager to explain. He was very upset and immediately had a worker wake them up and move. It's idiots like this that could get this courtesy taken away from the rest of us.