Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
A friend of mine several years ago, hit the road after work and traveled a couple of hundred miles to a discount mall where his wife wanted to shop the next morning before moving on to their destination. After several hours sleep he was awakened by a knock on the door, seems a local resident didn't think his parking there was a good idea. He told the officer he would be happy to move except that he had had a couple of beers. The officer told him to stay put and he would let dispatch know not to bother him anymore that night.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
I LOVE people that can think on their feet!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #16

When i see an rv parked in a Walmart or similar location I pull in and take a slow drive by. If they are out and about I stop and chat them up about rving, let them know we will drive by once in a while through the night, answer any questions they might have and bid them a safe journey. I have better things to do then write them a ticket.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie101 View Post
When i see an rv parked in a Walmart or similar location I pull in and take a slow drive by. If they are out and about I stop and chat them up about rving, let them know we will drive by once in a while through the night, answer any questions they might have and bid them a safe journey. I have better things to do then write them a ticket.
Hey Fuzzie, are you a policeman? Can you actually give parking tickets on private property? (other than handicap) Isn't that just a civil issue if the property owner/renter complains?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Hey Fuzzie, are you a policeman? Can you actually give parking tickets on private property? (other than handicap) Isn't that just a civil issue if the property owner/renter complains?
This should be interesting. Most of the no parking rules I have seen (WalMart) say no overnight parking due to a City ordinance. If the police can't enforce the ordinance, who can?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
You already give one example - handicap parking. Overnight parking is just another. Walmart isn't about to pick fights with the towns even if they had a case, because they want the police there for the shoplifters.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #20

I work in a city in Ontario, Canada. Obviously what i say applies only for where I work.

We can hand out tickets on private property only with the permission of the property owner. We have standing letters of authority for some locations, usually large malls, but can act on a complaint basis for other locations. Usually any enforcement is conducted by the city bylaw department though.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've had two "parking issues" in the 10 months we've owned our coach - one of which was on the quite residential street directly in front of the stick and brick home that I own. In the instance, the local police were concerned that the coach was "parked facing north on the southbound side of the street".

Once I explained that I owned the home which it was parked in front of - and that it was parked that way so that I could open the "roadside" wall slide (out and over the curb) in order to make loading it easier - the officer had no problems. Personally, I suspect his concern was that we might be trying to actually "camp" there. We had pulled up a little after 7:00 pm (after checking with the folks on both sides of us and across the street) to load up for an early morning departure - because once he understood that we were parked in front of our stick and brick home in order to load for a departure early the next morning everything was fine.

Our other "parking issue" was at an outlet store mall that didn't have a marked area for truck/trailer/RV parking. We had parked on the outskirts of the parking lot (on a relatively quiet weekday) and were outside, locking up before walking over to the stores when the Mall security guy stopped us and asked that we move to a different area of the lot.

We've never had issues at the couple of Walmart lots we've overnighted in. Of course, we've been pretty careful to research those to determine whether overnight parking was allowed (via the Allstays app) and confirmed it with the folks at the Walmart Customer Service desk upon arrival.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #22

Quote:
It all depends on the local ordinances. Over the years I've had a couple incidences involving illegal parking and the outcomes were totally different.

The first incident involved someone who parked in our driveway and went to a party somewhere in the neighborhood. They blocked the entire drive so no one could get in or out. I called the police to see what could be done. In this case since there was no way for an emergency vehicle to get to the residence the car could be ticketed and towed away.

A few years later I had someone abandon a car in front of a garage door for my business. Since it wasn't a residence and there were other ways for emergency responders to enter the property they wouldn't tow the vehicle. I was told I needed to send a registered letter to the last known address of the last known owner. If I had no response after 30 days I could tow the car away.

Needless to say I couldn't leave a car in front of the door for 30 days. Somehow it ended up in a bus stop about 30 yards away. I have no idea how it got there, but only took the police about half an hour to have it removed once bus service started for the day.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #23

The only parking issue I have had was on the Door Peninsula in Wisconsin. I parked our motorhome and car trailer on a quiet side street near a restaurant we wanted to use. This was not a residential street, rather adjacent to a nice hotel / motel. As we were locking up, the hotel the manager came up and said a customer had complained that we were blocking the view out of the entry to their parking lot, and would I "find it in my heart to please go away". My response was to state that I believed we were parked legally. I did back up several parking spaces to move away from the entrance and walked away, wondering if there would be a ticket on the windshield when we returned, but nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
...Our other "parking issue" was at an outlet store mall that didn't have a marked area for truck/trailer/RV parking. We had parked on the outskirts of the parking lot (on a relatively quiet weekday) and were outside, locking up before walking over to the stores when the Mall security guy stopped us and asked that we move to a different area of the lot....

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote