Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Doesn't Gov force landlords to rent to people they may not want such as those with children? Or to African Americans? Or Muslims? Or to gay couples? CG owners should be required to do the same as landlords who rent out houses and apartments. Why a different standard?
You are mixing business decisions by the campgrounds with racial issues.
There is no different standard, anyone can stay at their campground,
"regardless of race, color or creed"..... IF their MH is less than 10 yrs old.
The campground is NOT checking race, just the age of your MH.

One more time Rancarr.., and try to grasp this, the campgrounds ARE
legally required to rent spots to all people, regardless of race, religion, ect.
They are NOT required to rent spots to older MHs, no matter what color
or religion the driver is.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #44

100% right SG.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
So for ME. I deciided to categorize the camps as one of three. 1) campgrounds. They allow everyone and their are rules that they enforce for the safety and health of everyone. Ie junk attracts rats. 2) subdivision hoa parks. They control everything from an aesthetic viewpoint as well as health and safety ie age of unit 3) GO. Government owned. Ie state and federal. 4). No rules enforced could be any category.

That helps me decided where I want to stay.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Doesn't Gov force landlords to rent to people they may not want such as those with children? Or to African Americans? Or Muslims? Or to gay couples? CG owners should be required to do the same as landlords who rent out houses and apartments. Why a different standard?

Why would they want to stay in these places? Where else will they stay once the majority of places bar them?
The rules are not about people.

Would it be okay to camp in a cardboard box?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
This topic always intrigues me. The age rule ... Which by the way is "Discrimination" in the purest definition of the word... plus all the other rules that some campgrounds seem to treat as biblical always makes me wonder.

Hands down the nicest campground I have ever stayed in is Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney World, Orlando. They probably process tens of thousands of campers through there each year. ... And would you like to guess how many rules they hit me with when I drove through the gate? Zero! None! Nada! ... and especially, the age rule. There isn't one.

Conversely, after I left Fort Wilderness on my last trip, I headed out to a campground on Coco Beach which will remain nameless. This campground presented me with 2 pages of fine print rules, and even made me sign a form stating that I had read, and understood all the rules. I've gotta tell you, this just put me in a bad mood... and sort of set my mood for the rest of the stay. It sort of made me feel... Unwelcome. Made me feel more like I was an imposition, than a welcome guest.

So my question... and it's rhetorical as I think I know the answer... how can Disney process tens if thousands of people and not beat them over the head with a bunch of rules, but the little guys can't seem to get along without them. Maybe it's just the magic of Disney!
Ft Wilderness is a bit on the "pricey side". Doesn't that eliminate a lot of people with their pricing policies.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My theory is that some parks.. Have so much business that they have to find excuses to turn you away.. So , even though my rig is well under 10 years.. I go somewhere that wants my business. (That is I avoid those snob parks) IF they have so much business they have to ask the age of my rig (7 by the way) Then they don't need mine.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #49

For what it is worth, about 20 years ago most of the campground owners in and around Corpus Christi, Texas got together and agreed that none of them would accept converted school buses -- no matter the condition. I have no idea if that still applies or not.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I really laugh at all this sometimes. We started out with a blanket sheet frying pan ice chest two forks can opener. Had a blast. We thought his parents were woosies cause the had a fifth wheel. Didn't consider them campers. We moved up to a pup tent and sleeping bags. Too funny but great memories. Wonder who would have us now. So many rules. Taken much of the fun out of it
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My theory is that some parks.. Have so much business that they have to find excuses to turn you away.. So , even though my rig is well under 10 years.. I go somewhere that wants my business. (That is I avoid those snob parks) IF they have so much business they have to ask the age of my rig (7 by the way) Then they don't need mine.

I guess they do have enough business that they have to ask the age of your
rig, otherwise, you would never have to make a reservation because there
would always be empty spots...

And if trying to keep their park looking good by keeping out the junkier
looking older rigs makes it a "snob park", so be it, I'll be staying in the
"snob parks". And yes, my rig is 13 years old and I have never been turned
down yet....

Here's a question for you all, how many of you have actually been turned
away or not given a reservation because of the age of your RV?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy

I guess they do have enough business that they have to ask the age of your
rig, otherwise, you would never have to make a reservation because there
would always be empty spots...

And if trying to keep their park looking good by keeping out the junkier
looking older rigs makes it a "snob park", so be it, I'll be staying in the
"snob parks". And yes, my rig is 13 years old and I have never been turned
down yet....

Here's a question for you all, how many of you have actually been turned
away or not given a reservation because of the age of your RV?

Hey...I'm with you.

1) What's wrong with an RV Park establishing some rules with respect to appearance and maintenance of the RV's they are prepared to accept. The use of 10yrs. is simply an "objective" reference point and establishes that the Park has a standard....if you can prove that you meet or exceed the minimum standard with a rig older than 10yrs. ....no problem.

2) Someone who is offended by this (or any other) rule designed to establish standards regarding RV appearance ...tell me why this is so wrong.....do you have a better suggestion for the CG that wants to insure some quality standards?

3) I've attached the rules for the campground where we are currently staying and I'll bet they are similar to the rules you've agreed to in many many of the places you've stayed......I'll bet you've just never read them! BTW these rules make a simple 10yr rule look like child's play.

4) Does the fact that we are staying in this CG make us "snobs"?

5) Does the fact that this CG has rules mean that it has started to slip down that slippery slope to race, religious or income discrimination....are we contributing by staying here?

6) Your money....your skin in the game...HOW many of you would operate a CG with "no rules"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3822158793.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	24657
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
The CG we are staying at has a section which states that RV's must be RVIA approved with plates attached. All units must have sleeping facilities, window covering and approved electrical, water and sewer hookups. They do not allow sleeping in cars tents or outside of units, nor will they accept converted school busses or dead storage trailers. Campers are not to be removed from vehicles. The resort reserved the right to refuse admission of RVs not meeting park standards.
So the CG has restrictions but I think the last sentence catches/eliminates rigs the CG might think "do no meet the standard"
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #54
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

Hey...I'm with you.

1) What's wrong with an RV Park establishing some rules with respect to appearance and maintenance of the RV's they are prepared to accept. The use of 10yrs. is simply an "objective" reference point and establishes that the Park has a standard....if you can prove that you meet or exceed the minimum standard with a rig older than 10yrs. ....no problem.

2) Someone who is offended by this (or any other) rule designed to establish standards regarding RV appearance ...tell me why this is so wrong.....do you have a better suggestion for the CG that wants to insure some quality standards?

3) I've attached the rules for the campground where we are currently staying and I'll bet they are similar to the rules you've agreed to in many many of the places you've stayed......I'll bet you've just never read them! BTW these rules make a simple 10yr rule look like child's play.

4) Does the fact that we are staying in this CG make us "snobs"?

5) Does the fact that this CG has rules mean that it has started to slip down that slippery slope to race, religious or income discrimination....are we contributing by staying here?

6) Your money....your skin in the game...HOW many of you would operate a CG with "no rules"?
Completely agree with both of these
Their money, their risk, their choice
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #55

I've turned around and left campgrounds with older shabby units. I have children and there is something about a row of broken down equipment that makes me feel uncomfortable.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #56

A question posed in post 51: "Here's a question for you all, how many of you have actually been turned away or not given a reservation because of the age of your RV?"

Yes, I have. A couple of years when calling for a reservation in Las Vegas they declined my 1997 safari without asking anything about the condition. I ended up staying at Sam's Town. A few years earlier I was making a reservation at an RV park in Albuquerque and was told my 1977 Vogue was to old. I told them that's fine I'll find someplace else and then told them I was part of a group that had made about 15 reservations for that weekend so they waived the rule. I don't remember the name of either park. I wasn't upset in either case. Life's to short to let the little things bother me.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote