Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Rv parks?

Is it true some parks discriminate older motorhomes? which parks?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Some folks use the word "discrimination" to describe the standards imposed by some private RV parks... whether it be the age/condition of the RV, Class A only resorts, dog breed restrictions, etc. But, it is true that RV parks are private businesses and can set their own rules in these areas.

Some, not many, might restrict site rentals to rigs <10 years old but may make exceptions if your rig is well maintained and doesn't look shabby.

Feel free to use our search feature. You'll find a ton of reading material on this topic.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our favorite park, Silver Cove in WA state, has a 10 year rule, but it only applies to long term rentals, and they're in a separate area than the daily/weekly rentals.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
KOA in Orlando near the airport. I personally find the policy offensive and would do so if I was driving a brand new coach. I was taught not to judge someone by what they own, what they wear or what they do for a living. I hope to meet great people on this new adventure and I don't care if they are in a Prevost, a tent or anything in between.

------------------------------------

Pawnotes aka Dave and Carla
Jack and Kelly the ESS fur kids
00 Monaco Diplomat 38A
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post
KOA in Orlando near the airport. I personally find the policy offensive and would do so if I was driving a brand new coach. I was taught not to judge someone by what they own, what they wear or what they do for a living. I hope to meet great people on this new adventure and I don't care if they are in a Prevost, a tent or anything in between.

------------------------------------

Pawnotes aka Dave and Carla
Jack and Kelly the ESS fur kids
00 Monaco Diplomat 38A
I couldn't agree with you more. But, I will fight for the right of private property owners to discriminate (except for people) as to what they will accept on their property and set rules for occupancy.

Don
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

I am totally in agreement with Campgrounds setting rules for occupancy for their park. I cannot imagine any business that doesn't reserve the right to establish rules and guidelines in some form or fashion. What I would find offensive is for the business to NOT advertise those rules or specific's when I made reservations or told before hand.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'll fight with you on the private property thing. You are right, we have lost too many of our rights.

But, I'll exercise my rights by voting with my pocket book .... I won't stay in those parks even when they approve my very well maintained +10 YO coach

Pawnotes aka Dave n Carla
Jack n Kelly the ESS furkids
00 Monaco Diplomat
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. But, I will fight for the right of private property owners to discriminate (except for people) as to what they will accept on their property and set rules for occupancy.

Don
As RickO posted earlier: it's not discrimination, it's a rule set by the owners of the RV park. They have the right to run their property as they see fit. The 10 year rule or permission if over 10 years is their right. It's NOT illegal for them to have rules.
People that don't like it can vote with their pocket book and go elsewhere. Personally I don't want to park next to some of the rigs out there with blue tarps over them, broken windows, house air conditioners hanging off them, and stuff storead all around them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of course there are RV parks like that. There are also gated housing communities where not everyone is welcome. There are shops that you must have an appointment to shop there. It's a business owner's decision on what clientel they wish to do business with.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #10

I guess I should not have used the word "discriminate" I agree the owners have the right to rule the way they feel fit. But being new I hear this and was asking which one so I can plan my visits accordingly.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This subject gets recycled on a regular basis.

The vast majority of the parks with a stated 10 year rule use it to give themselves the flexability to exclude the guy that shows up with a rig held together with bailing wire and duct tape, storage bay doors missing, part of a plastic tarp taped over the window that's been broken for 5 years, and so on. We've all seen them out there. If they don't care about their own property...

Rarely will a campground exclude a well maintained rig of any age. If you're trying to make reservations in advance of your visit they may ask for a recent photo of the rig, but I suspect in most cases they'll just take your word for it. (Your results may vary. )

If your rig is well maintained, I'd not bring it up unless they do. I'll buy you breakfast if you're actually turned away.

Happy trails!
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I am totally in agreement with Campgrounds setting rules for occupancy for their park. I cannot imagine any business that doesn't reserve the right to establish rules and guidelines in some form or fashion. What I would find offensive is for the business to NOT advertise those rules or specific's when I made reservations or told before hand.

Right now, you drive a relatively new coach. How will you feel in 9 more years when you are turned away from a campground just for being too old?

I can see the campground owners using the 10 years rule as a method of keeping older junker rigs out, but I have seen some newer high end rigs that are totally trashy....what do we do, have a 2 year rule to get a few of these out.

We had a beautiful 23 year old Avion (silver) that was not allowed at one particular campground in Houston area just due to the age. The unit looked show room new inside and outside.

There are some folks with their nose so high, they need aircraft warning lights and think they can't park next to an older rig. How would the fellow feel with his big dollar, 11 year old Monaco feel if he was told he could not park in a campground, because there was a newer Prevost there and he did not want cheap older rigs around him.

Just judge the rig by it's looks and reserve the tight to exclude anyone for any reason since it is your campground.

Ken
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
I guess I should not have used the word "discriminate" I agree the owners have the right to rule the way they feel fit. But being new I hear this and was asking which one so I can plan my visits accordingly.
As you can tell, this topic gets discussed (and cussed) on a regular basis.

As for sharing with you which parks have this rule, that's pretty tough. Although I'd estimate that fewer than 5% of all parks have this rule, there's no way to list them for you, but here's one we've stayed at: Outdoor Resort Indio - The Ultimate Motor Coach Resort - Sales and Rentals

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
laj

I would guess this may become more common as the fleet ages. More and more people are buying what they really can't afford so they don't take as good of care of them as they should.
Parks are trying to maintain a certain image, just look at some of the adds in trade magazines. Jmo