Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
When people tell me what I'm doing is not camping. I tell them I'm going "RVing"
Since we're now full time - we're just livin. Right now with full hook ups looking at the overcast sky on the Mississippi River. Not sure what you call it. There's really not that much of difference between a parking lot - a secluded mountain campground - boondocking in the desert - or a high dollar park. When ya get there, there ya are. Until you're not. The only time it makes a difference is when it's short term. If it's long term, the road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430095973171.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	92664  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #44

Freightliner Owners Club
"RVing" is how I get there, Camping is done enroute and when we get there.

Wikipedia says:
Camping is an elective outdoor recreational activity. Generally held, participants leave developed areas to spend time outdoors in more natural ones in pursuit of activities providing them enjoyment. To be regarded as "camping" a minimum of one night is spent outdoors.

Enjoy--

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
To each their own for sure. We prefer State Parks over RV Parks. However, when there is laundry to do, etc. a night or two at an RV Park with all the goodies is in order. Otherwise we prefer campgrounds - but do admit we enjoy satellite clear sky (portable dish) and Verizon to work! RV Parks have their place but just not our cup of tea normally. We once stayed a month in one for the purpose of visiting nearby family and that was great. Some RV Parks are almost like campgrounds and some campgrounds are almost like RV parks - just look around!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with flagship. As a rule, we're not camping, we're living here. The decision to continuously enjoy the ambiance and scenery of natural surroundings does not inherently require a rejection of all the trappings of civilized life. A few days "off-grid" on an outing with family and friends is one thing, but when we locate for any kind of extended stay, I *choose* to have adequate electricity; I *choose* to have a toilet connection; I *choose* to continue to bathe regularly. If, in any given area, the best place to effect these choices is an "RV Park" rather than a "campground", then so be it.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #47

X3 for flaggship1.
We are also fulltime.
I love to cook outdoors and over a fire, if possible. My activities are outdoors.
RV resorts, private CGs, state, COE, etc. May need to fill the water and dump sometimes, but always plugged in, and 15A on occasion is just fine. Always FHU for monthly stays.
Always just CAMPING!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #48

Well we are not full timers I can understand the RV Parks for overnights and the need for full hook ups. As others have said it is whatever one prefers. If we ever go full time we will probably do the same. But till then SP'S and COE for us mostly

Thanks for every ones replies to this topic. Eye Opening for us.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
Well we are not full timers I can understand the RV Parks for overnights and the need for full hook ups. As others have said it is whatever one prefers. If we ever go full time we will probably do the same. But till then SP'S and COE for us mostly

Thanks for every ones replies to this topic. Eye Opening for us.
We are in a rural CG now on well water. It's a blend of camping and rv park. They don't sell ice or have laundry facilities. The well water has some type of gas in it along with lots of mineral content. Even bubbles a bit in the Tema macerator toilet when it fills with "fresh water". Thank goodness for large metal trap filter and water softwner. My hot water heater, pipes, shower walls and doors and ice maker are glad they aren't "camping". Lol.

We like Fed, State, County, TVA, etc when we can. As for going full time, it's not for everyone. And we suspect we will settle somewhere, someday. Just haven't found a place we like yet, but we're just getting started.

No matter what - have fun!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #50

I don't know where the idea came from that full-timers need RV parks.

We rarely used them. We much prefer public campgrounds for beautiful surroundings. We don't need hookups. We're self-contained - like every other RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't know where the idea came from that full-timers need RV parks.

We rarely used them. We much prefer public campgrounds for beautiful surroundings. We don't need hookups. We're self-contained - like every other RV.
I agree full timers don't need full hookups. But where we are now... and it seems to happen fairly often - the no hook up places are Lowe's and Walmart. Visiting wife's parents who live in town, we're 25 miles away as it is. If we were to look for a no hookup, beautiful area lord knows where we would be.

We are headed to Amana Colonies next. Since our friends are working there, we are staying a week there.

We then need to take our badly hail damaged car to Sioux Falls for either repairs or trade for something else. They say it will take 2 weeks to a month to repair it. So we will be stuck with a rental car and no baseplate to tow it. Still haven't figured out what we will do but it's a likely we'll find a state park or campground nearby.

We just came from a club rally and needed a pavilion and hook ups for the group.

But we have other reasons for using CGs often as well. Our 50 gallon black tank needs to be emptied about every 4 days if we use the macerator toilet and the gravity fill. We can do about twice that if we only use the gravity toilet in the half bath. As an above the knee amputee, going to a dump station every 4 days isn't fun for me. It was no big deal for 20 years with the B Van - (25 gallom tanks) but it's more so now. Will do it but not as an everytime thing.

We have to go to Vegas for a family thing and folks will be in hotels on the strip - so we will be local in an RV park to be close. And it will be better than a hotel for us but not the Nevada pines...

We're meeting 8 to 12 more of our group at Bryce Canyon and we want to be close to each other and have the services at our finger tips, so we'll be at Ruby's. Other options exists I suppose but some of group - and not all full timers - want full hookups.

I also don't carry a shower with me so I can use a public shower. Same goes for the washer / dryer. Only have 50 gallons of grey water capacity and a few loads of laundry and showers and I'm dumping again. Prefer to leave it open and not worry about it.

I don't really think there is an idea that full-timers need full hook ups, just a personal preference and convienence for some, and probably as much or more than 1/2 of them as best I can tell.

But I also like hot tubs, pools and spas. I found out this winter I don't really like "clubby" activities much but sometimes they're nice. The wood shop was nice where we were and the stained glass classes seemed like something we might try down the road.

I know that if I were to buy another coach I would want bigger tanks, but I don't think I'd like to give up the bath and a half. So it would probably mean another water hog toilet.

Still - I have seen many nice - even beautiful places with full hook ups and 55 - 70 foot pull throughs. So the idea that all full hookup CGs are ugly and devoid of value or their own form of beauty is puzzling as well.

But as someone who grew up tent and van camping, boating, and B Van Camping with a tent guest house - I know camping pretty well. We are by no means glampers - and spend more time at a picnic table and cooking out than nearly everyone we meet on the road. But whether it's remote or full service - I'm going to shower every day, use all of appliance and house I bring with me and live like I did in the S&B most of the time. We try to keep the travel schedule loose and give ourselves time to explore an area and if we find a nice no frills place we'll schedule time in there before rolling along or note it for next time we visit.

So far in campgrounds no one has complained when I pull the smoker out and cook meat all day!

Wish we could have met ya when we were in the Valley. Take care and have fun!

Steve and Annie

Tags
campground