Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Quality/Warranty - Just like boats

I follow a number of RVers on YouTube and have also followed sail boaters on YouTube (ever since the Wynns switched from RVs to sail boats).

In watching the experiences of these boating families I've learned that buying a new or used boat is EXACTLY like buying a new or used RV.

A family from Dallas I watch is Sailing Zatara. They appear to have plenty of spendable funds for boats, upgrades and toys. But today they uploaded a new video on build quality, 3rd Party OEM parts, Dealers and factory warranties. If you changed the words in the video from "boat" to "RV" every word would ring true and should be required viewing for all new RVers setting out to buy a new RV.

I know this is an RV forum - but the content here, especially for first 6:24 mins is spot on about RV ownership.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for sharing! We must watch many of the same YouTube channels, but I had not heard of them before. Great info!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You'll like them Al. The dad, Keith got rich in oil in Texas. They have a 20-acre ranch in Montana. They bought a brand new Benateau 50 in Texas and went sailing about 3 years ago with mom, dad and 4 kids. Never sailed before. They sailed to Australia and sold the Benateau then flew to Greece and bought a Cat and sailed it from the Med back to New Zealand now.

The dad is a bit opinionated but mostly seems like a good guy. I've watched them for the past 2 1/2 years. Unlike most YouTubers he's got money and they aren't asking for Patrons ever. They will probably take a 4 or 5 week hiatus from YouTube shortly. They head to Montana each Holiday season.

I also watch:
Gone with the Wynns
Odd Life Crafting
SV Delos
Free Range Sailing
RAN Sailing
Sailing Yacht Ruby Rose
Sailing Soulianis
Sailing Uma

For RV Videos I watch:
Less Junk, More Journey
Keep Your Daydream
All About RVs
The Fit RV

There are 4 or 5 others I watch occasionally. Before RVing I owned sailboats so that's a fun watch for me.

I tend to watch YouTube videos during breakfast and lunch and then at night watch Netflix, Prime, PBS. with my wife a couple of hours before bedtime.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Haha, that’s our pattern too. :-) we cut the cord so we rely on YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime and now Disney+ for TV watching.

For RVing, we also like Our Journey in Myles and The MotorHome Experiment.

I also use YouTube to get an education before if I try to fix anything!

It’s a good time to RV, even given the state of RV build quality these days. When my dad and mom were RVing, they had no cell phones, no slide outs, no GPS, and no YouTube videos! I’m not sure how they survived! :-)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Having owned 3 sailboats of differing lengths and abilities, a 24 ft, and one 41 ft Trimaran and a 42 foot Cheoy-Lee Ocean going monohull. (The last boat I sailed across the pacific to Asia.)

So I have some insight here. And what I can say is this:

There are some very high quality sailboats such as Hallberg Rassey, Hinkley, Valiant and others. These boats are exceptionally well built, designed and executed. I know quite a few people who have circumnavigated the globe on these boats and others that cost far less than these.

At the same time there are a group of boats that are manufactured for the recreational and charter market that do not have the design or quality of the others I've mentioned above.

Having been in both worlds, the RV and the Sailing, I can say there are tremendous differences between the general build quality of the average mid market sailboat and the average mid market (cost wise) RV.

RV's are much much, dramatically so, less sophisticated in design, less well built and the quality is far below that of most sailboats.

So I would caution about making any sweeping generalizations, especially when the boat in question in the video seems like one that has been in a charter fleet.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

As far as structure, boats have an advantage that they don't have to meet specific weight limits. There are center of gravity and off center weight concerns but often fixed with ballast.
My 35 ft Trawler cabinets and walls are 3/4" plywood, not 1/8" like RVs. It also has 1000 lbs of lead ballast in the stern.

When it comes to components, its all the same quality stuff use in both industries. Some brands higher quility then others.

As far as wiring, I've seen boats wired like a fighter jet, and some look like a colored brush pile. About the same as my last 2 RVs.
That's before the many aftermarket components are installed. Electronics on boats are a very personal decision.

Depending on the installer, you get a nice neat layout or a mess of hanging wires draped along the original harness.

Like most stuff, you hope to get what you pay for but need to know what your getting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
As far as structure, boats have an advantage that they don't have to meet specific weight limits. There are center of gravity and off center weight concerns but often fixed with ballast.
My 35 ft Trawler cabinets and walls are 3/4" plywood, not 1/8" like RVs. It also has 1000 lbs of lead ballast in the stern.

When it comes to components, its all the same quality stuff use in both industries. Some brands higher quility then others.

As far as wiring, I've seen boats wired like a fighter jet, and some look like a colored brush pile. About the same as my last 2 RVs.
That's before the many aftermarket components are installed. Electronics on boats are a very personal decision.

Depending on the installer, you get a nice neat layout or a mess of hanging wires draped along the original harness.

Like most stuff, you hope to get what you pay for but need to know what your getting.

I agree with you about structure and interior structure. My boats were Teak and Mahogany interior bulkheads (walls) which were on average 5/8 to 3/4" thick.

However in my opinion the appliances and other equipment aboard most boats is superior to those put into RV's.

From the stove to the pumps to the plumbing, and refrigeration and heating I see a big gap in quality between those of RV's and most boats (barring the economy level small recreational type).

In terms of Electronics and electrics. I don't share your experience as far as wiring goes. Of course I am speaking here of Sailing boats and not Motor boats.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

BOATS are like rvs in one way for sure. Bust Out Another Thousand.

Tags
quality, warranty