Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

RV Resort memberships

Got the sales pitch today from KM Resorts here in Washington. They had a package that included use of RPI & CCC resorts also. What are your thought on these or are there better plans out there you are using.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We like Thousand Trails especially if you live in Washington. Around $500.00 and you are good to go for one year. No buy in costs etc. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you decide later on that you want out of the plan what are the requirements to exit?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

Got the pitch regarding K&M the last time I was at CW in Fife, WA....seemed they were offering membership at around 350 or so. Was in a bit of a hurry, but also curious about memberships such as K&M as well as Thousand Trails. We are heading out for 6 months later this year and it would be good to have access to parks at what appears to be around 3 bucks a night. We currently have GS and will be purchasing a Passport America membership.

There is a myriad of options and there appears to be no consensus on the best way to go. Would live to boondock on federal lands a bit, but concerned about getting stuck on some marginal road. I'm sure we will figure it all out in time, but it sure can be complicated especially since we plan to "wing it" versus a planned schedule.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do you like the resorts? And their locations? No membership park is a good deal if it's not where you want to go. ALL the time. Think about it long and hard - the deal on membership won't go away. It might even get sweeter.

RPI and CTC are useful, but there are lots of ways to qualify for them, so you don't have to jump at the first offer.

We have a Thousand Trails Alliance membership with access to 57 resorts and RPI. Some years we use it a lot, and other times we want to travel elsewhere and don't get our money's worth for the year.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Is this KM in Birch Bay? If so, don't bother. Their financials are in bad shape and at one time, there was some legal proceedings against the park. It is part park models and they are old. The park overall is run down.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Interesting use of the word 'resort'. Our experience with these 'resorts' is that we're 'camping' in a place with grass or gravel sites, electrical that barely works, pools that you wouldn't put your enemy in, and water and sewer connections that were designed for tenters.

We wouldn't call many of these places 'resorts'....but there are exceptions. Like Vegas. And RPI has been a major disappointment. For $10 you get a $10 site. 2 ruts to park in, water that has a dubious origin, and 15 amp electric. Amenities, if any are extra cost. Cable $5, swimming (if you dare) $5, etc.

We bought into Thousand Trails 20 years ago thinking we could use them for weekends until we retired then use them to connect our retirement travel. My map reading skills have improved since then and I've found of the available 'resorts', there are hardly any that go where we want to go. That's on us.

The reality is all these places have financial problems. Encore bought TT and when they repackaged the pitch to sell us more 'resort' items, they explained that the cost was due to all the debt they inherited. That's why they can't keep up with all the improvements and maintenance.

If it was me, I'd take the $$ that I would spend on any membership and figure out how many days that would be RVing where we want to RV. If the 'resort' is where I want to go and I can spend months there on end and it works out to $10/night, then get a membership. If not, GS, FMCA, Military, AARP, AAA etc discounts work well and you'll have money for your RVing with the $$ you saved.

2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
To "exit" TT just don't renew. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

That might be a possibility with some of the newer TT packages, but not mine. We don't have 'renewals'....we have 'dues'.

2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Generally speaking, the only penalty for not paying your TT "dues" is that you can't use the parks or sell your membership contract to someone else. You can just walk away and abandon it. You lose your initial investment, but that's not much if you bought wisely. Or you can sell your membership, but don't expect to get more than a few dollars for it above the transfer fees. Call TT customer service to discuss the specifics of your contract - there are minor differences.

For those with Zone passes, there are only renewals and no "dues".
Old 10-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And RPI has been a major disappointment. For $10 you get a $10 site. 2 ruts to park in, water that has a dubious origin, and 15 amp electric. Amenities, if any are extra cost. Cable $5, swimming (if you dare) $5, etc.
My experience with RPI parks, mostly east of the Mississippi, has been quite good, but there is no single standard they must adhere to. They are just other membership parks, some good and some maybe not so good. Typically I have received a decent FHU site, either 50 or 30 amp, often with cable tv.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Good morning to all! As for KM I'd be real careful of fine contract print! Yes there's a yearly due until you die and then your spouse is resposciable! And your main buy in can be anywhere between 3 and 6 grand if you get Rpi, rod ! Most of km quote resorts are mud holes , and that ten dollar nitely charge has a fee for 50 amp . It wasn't like that when we were sucked in7 years ago ! We bought our membership and 6 months later , they had this great deal for existing owners! Right !!! Anyway there thought was since we spent 5 grand there was a better membership for us and it would be dues free and they would help us resale our membership when we wanted to move on!!! Again right !!!! Also this was the owners sons taking over operations, and as we have all known , the boys are tring to show ole dad!!!!!! Anyway we walked out called state attorney general and filed a complaint ! But be warned you can buy a lot of fuel and camping spaces over time, for what this would cost you! We were on the road for 5 years and used our Rpi on east coast and it was fine! If you look around these memberships are a dime a dozen and even free , just so folks can get out of them. Now being back on west coast and in wa. We will see if mk put up money for roads and maintance ! So again go your own way but always what the people doing the fast talkin! No sour grapes here for us , just a expensive lesson! Happy travels
Old 10-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We got some sort of coupon when we bought out MH from Colorado River Adventures worth $1,000 so we have to go through their sales tour and yada yada yada they will give us $200 in gas, an android tablet. They called us to set up a time to visit and we made tentative time only if we could rearrange our Doctors apts. Could not change the apts. without having to wait another 3+ months. Anyway we called to cancel and yesterday they called and we said we would get back with them in a few hours and in that time they called 5 times!!!

That annoyed me to no end. We had company and were busy but they didn't honor our wishes to wait until a certain time to talk. At this point I'm not interested in this company at all.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriedel View Post
Got the sales pitch today from KM Resorts here in Washington. They had a package that included use of RPI & CCC resorts also. What are your thought on these or are there better plans out there you are using.
You can find TT on ebay for cheap. I've traveled for 3 yrs now and still wouldn't consider a membership. You'll get what you pay for and who knows how long it will be kept up. Maybe when I'm done traveling around the country I'll have found some worthwhile deals. Just remember the time share business.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote