Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #71

The simple fact of the matter is the ONLY way to purchase these memberships is through the secondary market....cut your potential losses going in...if you read all the posts on this subject the evidence suggests a very high rate of dissatisfied campers. Negatives seem to outweigh the possible cost savings.

John T wrote of a contract that extended out for three generations...hard to get my mind around that one !!!

Happy Camping !
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #72

FWIW I thought the pitch we sat through was a guarantee to be able to pass the membership through 3 generations. I would think passing an obligation to pay to the next generation is one of those things reserved for the government.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #73

We said NO 6 months ago - just didn't feel that the parks offered were we wanted to be nor the type of accommodation (destination resort)that we wanted as full timers. Now we purchased the modified (improved) offering after learning that we like 'resorts' as long as they are in the part of the country we wish to explore. Also for what we purchased there was no annual maintenance dues mentioned - may have to check on that.
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #74

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok three sides to RV Resort Memberships and a request

First: You should know I have two and used to have one other but that is a long story which will be told in part later on (in the CONS section).

PRO: They can, if you use them, greatly lower your cost.. My First membership I used enough to cover the cost of the dues so it was more or less a break even, Had the company survived it would have become quite a bargain.. I really liked the "local" to my house campground and stayed there often.. But the company went through multiple bankruptcies and eventually lost ownership of the CG.. Read more in CONS.

Then I got two more... one is a Michigan only firm, they are not affliated with a few other parks but all north of the Mason Dixon line (This is significant not from a political standpoint but from a weather standpoint. It gets COLD north of that political line... Too cold for my comfort in a Class A) I winter SOUTH of that line where it is ... usually.... Warmer (Froze just once in several years and that was a minor freeze. No damage).

The other (Thousand Trails) membership is nation wide, including Fair Play, SC which is where I'd like to be parked just now (Oconee county 3 miles N.E of Georgia, on Lake Hartwell)

The Pros: When Wife and I started full timing we had limited income (Still do but) consisting of my pension and her SS.. Today She has passed on so her SS is gone but my SS kicked in and is 2x what she got so though still limited, not nearly as much as then.. We had planned on doing some more serious traveling.. But during the "LEAN" times the fact we spend less than 100/month on parking, plus a few dollars (5 gallons every 2 weeks) on gas shuttlling back and forth between campgrounds was nice.. That covered our entire summer for 100/month and in the winter. Thanks to some nice Government parks I was still under 200/month with 2 weeks in and one out at the TT park in Fair-Play (Week out in a county park in Seneca 3 miles from where I go to church)...

Plus I can, with proper timing, go alomst anywhere in the USA on the "winter" plan spending two weeks in a TT park, then moving on to a private park for a week, and then hitting another TT park for two weeks, and plan on it soon in fact.

The "Michigan" only park system is half a dozen parks (may be 7 now) plus two "Sister" companies, on in the PA/NY area and the other in another part of Michigan. I can cover most of lower MI in their parks.

Their "Flagship" park is hugh, over 700 Sites, one indoor pool and hot tub, One outdoor Pool and hot tub, plus one "Water park" considting of multiple water attractions including a pool, hot tub, lazy river and splash pool for kids. Two family centers, Two Laundry's multiple "Comfort Stations) and more Oh and free coffee in the AM (A major attraction for me ). Other parks in the system are not as nice but it's the Flagship that I stay at (Logistic considerations) the most.

I like it, it is a great program for me. Saves me hundreds of dollars a month.

Added to this: I have a number of friends at these parks, Including some of the staff and managers (I really like the staff at the Thousand Trails parks I've visited... But read on)

BUT: it is not for everyone

Cons: First: If I'm going to maximize the savings I have to stay in Membership parks as much as possible.. This limits my parking choices. If I'm to get by for 100/month I have to be in MI and split my time between the two. also on July 4 and Sept 1 it can be hard to find parking (But I can go for up to a week without if I have to).

I would like to visit several other northern states.. But if I do that then I can't stay at that one park... No free coffee (Ok so that's a joke)

The other thing is many of the membership companies are short on cash, Every year it seems that more and more the TT parks are in need of "Maintenance" Staff is being reduced, Buildings are not being kept up as well as I would like.. Some repairs have to be delayed till funds come in. and Finical decisions are being made "Short term" instead of "long term". I have even assisted in repairs in some cases. where the job was within my skill set. That said, This is the nationwide park.

The other CON which applies, far as I know to all but one Chain (Thousand Trails) is this: Membership is Lifetime.. i mentioned the All Seasons (Finally recalled the name) membership,, The contract said they have to maintain the parks or open equivalent parks or refund my membership.. Well they lost the park to the tax man, have not opened a new one in the same area (The ones they have left are many miles away) have not refunded my membership and even though it's been 10 years since I sent them a cease and desist letter are still dunning me for dues.

I'm going to have to sue them it seems.

My TT membership is also lifetime (But I'm still using it) as is the Michigan one (I may sell some day, but not yet)

Thousand Trails today however has a new program.. one that is easier to get out of.. Called ZONE membership And I highly recommend it.

here is how it works
The US is divided into five "Zones".. You can buy one, two, or more zones, the first zone is like 600 dollars for one year Now for a working stiff who wants to try out Membership camping this means you get the zone nearest your home.. If you plan on doing major traveling you can buy a 2nd or 3rd zone and if your timing is good you can get a serious discount on the additional zones (BOGO in some cases)

This membership gives you the same 2 weeks in, one out that I have but there are differences, The first 30 nights as I recall are totaly "Free" (included in the membership) let's see 600/e30= $20/night, Most CG's are at least that expensive.. After that there is a small nightly fee (less than $10.00/night, I won't quote you an amount because I truly do not know) Also you get the member rate on monthly camping and cabin rentals. Most if not all parks have swimming and selected other activities. Though not always in the winter.

And if you find you don't like it, well then you send a letter that says "It's been fun, but no thank you" at renewal time (Well that's parahprashing the letter)_ you are not stuck for life.

IF you decide on one of these TT zone memberships, Please PM me for my membership number. I do get credit. Thanks.. (not much but hey, I might as well get it)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good post....I think it comes down to "where" you want to be, and at what monthly outlay. One can be budget friendly at $100 or $500 at a resort type living location. Maybe free coffee at both?

For a few years I have followed a full timing YouTube couple utilizing the "Zone" option. ( Josh and Kali | The Freedom Theory ) They have some older videos about how to get the most bang out of your TT memberships.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote