RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #15

I have seen way to many campgrounds that have small lots, narrow roads, low tree branch's, inadequate power supply, un-level lots, muddy, etc.

That is certainly not to say they are all that way by any means, as I have seen beautiful ones as well.

Typically, if it is a true resort, you do not have those issues. Resorts typically have top notch amenity's as well, pools, clubhouse, landscaping, etc. But as others have said, resorts cost more.

Need to do your research, see what suites your wants and needs. I always look to see if they have a website, and look for the photos. If a campground is proud of their place, they should put photos up of the lots and facility's........not just pics of the entrance and local attractions. I am always Leary when there is no photos of the actual campsites.
As mentioned above, there are good sites available to look at reviews of campgrounds/resorts.

Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #16
tcg

I have a freind that swears by the local KOA. They have paved pull through sites with brick paver patios and gas grills attached to the site. Some with covered gazebos.

The park has 2 pools, hot tubs. arcades, a workout gym, a couple restaurants, bike rental, and lots of other stuff.

I decided to check it out on our last weekend because I wanted a full hook up where I could take my time and flush the tanks before storage.

I have no idea what my freind sees in that place. The sites were tiny and many were not even level.

Sure they have a lot of amenities but on a full weekend I'm not sure how you could enjoy your site. Your neighbor's fire pit was less then 20 feet from your rig.

I will give them this though, they had a ton of cabins that were nicer than some hotel suites we have stayed in.

So I guess it all depends on what someone defines a resort as.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #17

we've seen in our many miles and years of travel, being full timers:

- RV Parks that are more like RV 'Resorts'... with ALL the amenities, spa, hot tub(s), pools, concrete pads, excellent wifi, etc., etc.

- RV Resorts that were more like basic RV 'Parks' ... where 'none' of the amenities you might expect at a 'resort' were present

- Campgrounds where they seemed more like RV 'Resorts', where you would not 'know' you were in a 'campground', but more like at an upscale beach resort.

- 'Campgrounds' where you would think that the local law would come to 'inspect' it at any time due to the nature of some of the customer's activities, if you know what I mean.

- RV Parks that were more of a 'trailer park', if you know what I mean - few RVs and more permanently parked older trailers where families were certainly living full time as their local home.

- RV Parks where 'RV's are really permanent or seasonal homes, where they have been added on to, with screened porches, decks, and carports, and created as 'houses' instead of RVs. Some owners may rent out their 'homes' or vacant sites when they're not present.

----------------------------------------------------
we've found that there really is no 'Standard' of what these terms mean, they simply allude to someone's idea of what they want the area to 'be', at least in their mind.

We've seen campgrounds with NO services, no electricity, no water, no sewer, and nothing but woods, forest, and scenery. That may be what some want as a 'campground'. Others may expect some form of electricity, some available water, and at least a dump station in their 'campground'. Many will dispute what the term 'camping' even means!
Rv parks are more 'commercial' in nature, at least for the most part, though we've seen many municipal/city rv parks that were quite nice, with full hookups and even wifi, while others were more of a place to 'park' overnight, with nothing more than a porta-potty available.

Having said all that, there are MANY, MANY campgrounds, rv parks, rv resorts, private camp sites, and public parking areas available to everyone. While it might seem a little annoying at times to try to 'compare' the various types, it's actually a little fun 'finding out' what eventually lies at your next 'RV RESORT'!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
We were in a nice RV Resort in Hilton Head SC last week.
HHI has two resorts, RV Resort as mentioned, they will accept tow behinds to class A, then you have the Hilton Head Luxury Motorcoach Resort. They accept motorized coaches, most of what you see there are class A.

Steve