Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #1

I just saw the following information on another RV forum. I strongly suggest that everyone make and effort to let the local authorities know what you think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> March 25, 2005

By David Maack The Jamestown Sun in Jamestown North Dakota

The Police Committee of Jamestown's City Council voted unanimously Thursday to recommend that the City Council draft an ordinance to prohibit overnight camping in the Wal-Mart parking lot, city parks and elsewhere.
Charlie Tanata, owner of a 60-space campground near The Frontier Fort, complained to the committee about the number of RVs parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot each night, taking away business from local campgrounds, Jamestown Reservoir and Pipestem Reservoir. However, he said It was OK to allow the Good Sam RVers, a national group of campers, to park in the Civic Center parking lot for a few nights every four or five years.
Tanata said he and another campground owner approached Deb Thompson, the Buffalo Mall manager, and asked her to stop campers from using the mall's parking lot. In a short time, "No overnight parking" signs were put in place.
"We asked Wal-Mart to do the same and they laughed at us," Tanata said.
John Schafer, Wal-Mart manager, said he checked company policy and it doesn't say anything at all about RV camping on company parking lots.
"Sam Walton (Wal-Mart founder) allowed it as a convenience to the public," Schafer said. "We appreciate the business they bring to us."
The campers are monitored and encouraged not to spend more than a night or two in the parking lot and to clean up the area around them, Schafer said.
"We want to be a good neighbor and do what is right for the people of Jamestown. We're there for the convenience of our customers," Schafer said.
Police Chief Dave Donegan said ordinances may be passed governing commercial parking lots, as they are considered the same as streets because they are open to the public. He also said occupied campers parked on city streets are allowed under the present ordinances. If an ordinance is drafted, it also needs to include city parks, he added.
A number of RVs are parked along homes in Jamestown and hooked to the home's water line all summer, a violation of the zoning ordinance, said Building Inspector Jim Weight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #2

I just saw the following information on another RV forum. I strongly suggest that everyone make and effort to let the local authorities know what you think.

Quote:
March 25, 2005

By David Maack The Jamestown Sun in Jamestown North Dakota

The Police Committee of Jamestown's City Council voted unanimously Thursday to recommend that the City Council draft an ordinance to prohibit overnight camping in the Wal-Mart parking lot, city parks and elsewhere.
Charlie Tanata, owner of a 60-space campground near The Frontier Fort, complained to the committee about the number of RVs parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot each night, taking away business from local campgrounds, Jamestown Reservoir and Pipestem Reservoir. However, he said It was OK to allow the Good Sam RVers, a national group of campers, to park in the Civic Center parking lot for a few nights every four or five years.
Tanata said he and another campground owner approached Deb Thompson, the Buffalo Mall manager, and asked her to stop campers from using the mall's parking lot. In a short time, "No overnight parking" signs were put in place.
"We asked Wal-Mart to do the same and they laughed at us," Tanata said.
John Schafer, Wal-Mart manager, said he checked company policy and it doesn't say anything at all about RV camping on company parking lots.
"Sam Walton (Wal-Mart founder) allowed it as a convenience to the public," Schafer said. "We appreciate the business they bring to us."
The campers are monitored and encouraged not to spend more than a night or two in the parking lot and to clean up the area around them, Schafer said.
"We want to be a good neighbor and do what is right for the people of Jamestown. We're there for the convenience of our customers," Schafer said.
Police Chief Dave Donegan said ordinances may be passed governing commercial parking lots, as they are considered the same as streets because they are open to the public. He also said occupied campers parked on city streets are allowed under the present ordinances. If an ordinance is drafted, it also needs to include city parks, he added.
A number of RVs are parked along homes in Jamestown and hooked to the home's water line all summer, a violation of the zoning ordinance, said Building Inspector Jim Weight.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #3

Now I think that if the RV Park don't want RV's to spend the night in Wal-Mart parking lot then they need to keep the check-in office open 24-7. I only spend the night in Wal-Mart or Sams when I travel till about 11:30 to 12:00 mid-night as the camp grounds are closed and I don't like the idea of checking in and out with the office closed. When we spend the night in a parking lot we get up and leave by about 6:00 AM to get back on the road. If RV Parks had some one in the office all night long I would not mind checking in late and leaving early. They should have some spaces up toward the front for that purpose as I don't need hook ups or plan to unhook the toad. They would need to be pull through spaces and I would expect a lower price say 5-15 dollars depending on the area. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #4

This is kind of old. The city turned down this change quite a while ago and sent out email to several people that posted on a lot of rv forums. Still can park at WalMart and the shopping center there now.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote