Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
And to think the two truck drivers weren't killed only by a vote from the girlfriend/cousin and one other of the convicts.
I know I am too comfortable in areas that I am familiar with just as the couple was with a rest area in broad daylight. I know I will start paying more attention to my surroundings, even here at home as we live in the Piney Woods area.. they took care of the little dogs and that is how they found out whom the couple possibly was. Maybe they didnt' think the dogs would stay close by, but then they don't know how devoted family pets are.
A lot of hard core criminals have a better life in prison than everyday working people do, and we are the ones that pay for their comfort.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #58

One of my big concerns over this is that every convict wanting to escape has seen the newscast and may target RV's as easy marks. As much as we are much more free than a S&B person we are also vulnerable. We are a friendly group of people, but we need to be careful our friendliness!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Many of us carry some type of weapon as an added safety measure. I'm considering trading my 9mm for a Taurus "Judge" Model 4510 TKR - 3SSMAG Taurus International Manufacturing Inc= as my all purpose 'vermin' (two-legged and four-legged) weapon. The ability to use 410 3" mags and 45 long colt in the same gun provides close-up and distant capability. Looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with this particular handgun. Thanks in advance.
i have the judge and feel safer since i'm not a good shot. i have it loaded with no. 4 shot (duck shot) from 20', it will cover a paper dinner plate very well. i've never fired the 45 cal. rounds in it and most likely will leave that for the crack shots. i think it is a very good weapon for personal protection.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #60

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
pawpaw.... bag the bird shot.... go with 410 guage Federal (3) 000 Buck Shot.... or Winchester PDFX1 disc and pellets.

Bird shot if used in self defense more than likely will not stop a determined felon.

Read my suggestions in previous posts.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
safety rv

hi jim, i know your right. i have O buckshot too. i've fired the buckshot and the #4's. used 20' distance with paperplate tacked to a tree. the pattern of both are awesome. i carry three sizes- 2 for the bad guys and no. 6 for snakes when i'm hunting in the fall. i love this forum so far, i've learned things about my motorhome that were never explained in the presentation and walk through. i have the manuals-guess i had better read them. lol have a great day.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k-06 jeep wrangler unlimited
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #62

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Boyce & Linda

This forum is GREAT. If you are having problems or can't figure something out just ask. These guys and gals have all ready helped me out with a great many questions and problems. I don't know what I would do without IRV2.com..

The only way to learn is to ask questions.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #63

Personal security can include non-lethal weapons. Kimber makes a couple "gas" guns that shoot a type of pepper spray at impressive velocities. People may be inclined to use this sooner in a bad situation than a lethal weapon.
Takes some of the concern out of easy access to weapons by the younger ones also and also overpenetration of RV walls and innocents in the path of bullets downrange.
This may be a choice for those in states or countries that handgun carry is restricted.

I also carry firearms and have a CCW, although not needed in Az. anymore.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #64

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
For all you "The Judge" fans out there. Just got an email from www.doubletapammo.com they are a ammo maker.

They have a new .45 LC load with a 165 grain Barnes Bullet at over 1100 FPS. This is a great defensive round.

Just an FYI...

Regards... Jim P.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
One of the things to always keep in mind is the safety of loved ones when you are away and can't be there to help them. I plan to have wasp spray available for my wife because I'm not certain she'd use a gun. I would prefer a non-lethal form of self-defense but my last resort would be a gun.

My fear is that someone on PCP or other drug would not be stopped by anything less than a gunshot. Friends who are police tell me that even the weakest looking females can be incredibly strong when drugged. If you combine that with the attitude of someone escaped from prison and determined not to go back, you have almost no choice - either use a weapon or choose to be a victim.

I haven't hunted or killed anything (I'm certainly not anti-hunting) since the late 60's but I am certain that I would use lethal force to protect others as well as myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #66

Just wanted to get views on handgun in RV whilst travelling through different states inc Alaska ?
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #67

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Just wanted to get views on handgun in RV whilst travelling through different states inc Alaska ?
Dont even attempt to cross into Canada with a handgun. Each state has its own laws so check before going. Not all states reciprocate with CCW.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
wanted to get views on handgun in RV whilst travelling through different states inc Alaska ?
If you want to do it legally, you need to do your homework on current laws for each state you will enter. Handgun laws vary greatly (much more so than long guns) by state ...and taking a handgun into/across Canada is a "don't even think about it" deal.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I ever say JUDGE in any conversation Mrs knows what to do. PS don't remember brand (think it was Very or someting like that) but it also handle flares. #1 Flare #2 Bird #3 Buck and 4/5 45
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
One of my big concerns over this is that every convict wanting to escape has seen the newscast and may target RV's as easy marks.
I agree! Personal, family and property security BEGINS with your mindset.

I have worked as a security contractor/corrections/law enforcement and have noticed a distinct trend...victims usually (not always) have a victim's mindset.

The typical victim walks around with their heads somewhere else, not paying a bit of attention to what is going on around them. Dirt bags seek people like this. These victims are really not hard to find. Start looking for them, and you will likely find that you can point them out as well. You can usually walk right up on top of them before they even know you are there.

In no way should anyone live in a state of paranoia. However, being aware of one's surroundings is always advisable!! It only takes a second to look around.

Also start practicing situational awareness by picking out one thing that you would not typically notice...count how many doors are in the room, or find identifying points about one particular person in the room. You'd be amazed at how soon you will be noticing things that others take for granted.

Train your mind!! Not only does this enhance your situational awareness, I find that it helps me enjoy my surroundings...when I notice things I would not have noticed by not paying attention...it's fun!

No one can say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that the poor victims stated in the attachment above could have noticed something about their surroundings that would have raised a red flag and told them to move along...quickly...had they paid more attention. Again, it's just an educated bet...but 90% of the time...it's true.

Again, I am not saying that we should live in fear or paranoia by any means!! But by being aware, we can often times leave ourselves a way to disengage before the engagement even begins.

All this said, I do carry and recommend that anyone with any sense at all do the same. Whether you prefer to carry a "judge" or whatever is up to you...doesn't really matter. Chances of you having to use it for defense is very slim...especially if you practice situational awareness.

As to what, when and where I carry...I sincerely hope you never have to find out.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote