Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RV Security tech do you like for safety?

On this, I have always wished Motorhome Manufacturers would take into account and create 360-degrees of security around the RV, while PARKED in some unknown place.

We RV'ers, even when parked in what we think, are relatively safe may not be, and after all, we may not know the area well.

I'm not talking here about weapons or animals to keep you safe, but electronics.

What if any electronics do you employ around your RV while sleeping inside?

I have an upgraded security door lock, 360-degree cameras, and motion-sensitive lights. TOUCH sensitive door alarm and all of this for less than what you would pay for most firearms.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

I've been camping in 'unknown' locations since the 1970's and have never ever had a security problem. Loud drunks in the next campsite---yes. Thought someone swiped my wallet once, but we were in a popup in those days and it fell out of the extended bed and lay on the ground for 24 hours before I found it, untouched. We boondock in very isolated areas. I do honor the second amendment but have never even thought of putting it in action.

BTW if your 360 degree security shows someone breaking in to your RV just what are you going to do? Wave your security monitor at them? Remember the police are half an hour away when seconds count.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
I'm not talking here about weapons or animals to keep you safe, but electronics.
But you are making a comparison to weapons (firearms).
Quote:
. . . and all of this for less than what you would pay for most firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
BTW if your 360 degree security shows someone breaking in to your RV just what are you going to do? Wave your security monitor at them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Remember the police are half an hour away when seconds count.
Half hour if you're lucky in some places.

Then the question arises; If you are parking in a higher risk area where you feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars on 'security', and you are unable to protect your family or yourself, why are you parking there? Is the value of being in the area worth the risk to you and your family? I understand if you can't legally own a firearm, you do what you can, but like was said time and time again, the police are minutes away when seconds count.

Police are almost always there in time to take a report.

I like to relax when I'm spending the night somewhere. I don't want to be wondering what tripped the motion sensor lights all night long, or turn on the monitor to look at any of the various cameras. I'd never sleep.

But I do sleep well now.

Back to morning brew . . .
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We just have a simple $12.95 door alarm from Wal-Mart [mod edit]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
I have an upgraded security door lock, 360-degree cameras, and motion-sensitive lights. TOUCH sensitive door alarm and all of this for less than what you would pay for most firearms.
If I thought I was parked in a location unsafe enough to require all the security measure you employ I'd just move to a safer location. That's kind of the purpose of an RV. Remember the "V" stands for vehicle. Just roll on down the road and leave the dangerous area behind.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCamp View Post
But you are making a comparison to weapons (firearms).

Half hour if you're lucky in some places.

Then the question arises; If you are parking in a higher risk area where you feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars on 'security', and you are unable to protect your family or yourself, why are you parking there? Is the value of being in the area worth the risk to you and your family? I understand if you can't legally own a firearm, you do what you can, but like was said time and time again, the police are minutes away when seconds count.

Police are almost always there in time to take a report.

I like to relax when I'm spending the night somewhere. I don't want to be wondering what tripped the motion sensor lights all night long or turn on the monitor to look at any of the various cameras. I'd never sleep.

But I do sleep well now.

Back to morning brew . . .
=============

First I NEVER stated I did not carry, our that I was a Firearms Instructor for 30-Years. Truth is you don't need a Firearms to take someone out. This was also not written for the RV'er who knows his own limitations in a given situation. Security is for everyone and it starts with the THOUGHT "WHAT IF"
You can now buy a trail camera that provides feedback and photos to your smartphone. B&H has many cameras for security-minded folks. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

As for Lowes has some Moston Lights and alarms: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...+moston+lights

my main point for writing this post above was because there is so little information on safety and security, for everyone who is willing to step out of the comfort zone and survive with video evidence of intruder into your campsite, as well as the laws protecting even a TENT Camper. I'm finding more and more SOLO Campers both male and female travelers who are not so much worried about a bear attack as they are with the two-legged kind.

As for firearms, if that was your first thought, just how stupid do you think the nut job is that wants what you have. Next, if you have never done the time to train yourself. Could you? and that question is for you to know, not me. Even if the subject(s) left two hours ago, and you're now giving a police report then you survived and are alive. But do you have evidence there was an intruder? As that will help your case.

As for everyone in this POST who talked about using or implying you would use a firearm, Ask yourself have you been to a Shooting range in the last 6-Months for proficiency training?

So please I do not want to know how big your Firearms are. I just want to help you think about your campsite security. Okay?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:

How can you enjoy RVing thinking about all the things that might happen and having to look over your shoulder all the time?

We had no security of any kind yet we were very comfortable boondocking on public lands and staying in public campgrounds. In 16 years we never felt uncomfortable. We never had anything taken from our site even in the boonies. We left chairs, the gas grill and large propane tank outside when we'd go off for hours in our Jeep. Never heard anyone 'sneaking' around our campsite at night.

If you're talking of seedy RV parks in bad neighborhoods then just don't go there.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

My CG Security......
ME.....my brain
Situational Awareness
HER...her brain
Situational Awareness
DOG........don't like no one messing with her truck, her RV or HER!

And YES I am trained/proficient with firearms
YES..she is trained/proficient with firearms
DOG.....also trained/proficient with her ability to protect

Besides........why does anyone put themselves in a 'bad situation' and remain there??
Pack up and GO.
Better yet.....don't even set up just continue rolling on down the road.

Electronics are well & good......but I prefer keeping things SIMPLE
Need to keep those 'cat like' reflexs and 'hound dog' instints honed razor edge sharp.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Let's talk about the outside of your Motorhome say in a WalMart parking lot with a tow attached. There are some 200 LED Luman and a Ring Doorbell 400 LED Lumen to retreat most dirtbags from snooping or spying. Hey hey a nice photo of someone a bit suspicious you may want to let the authorities know about.

After all, they may have been after the CAT after all and you ran them off. But hey they left you a nice 8 X 10 color photo. On your Smartphone which you can now AIR PRINT to your AIR PRINTER be it Lazer or Ink-Jet.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...l%20Categories

Remember the POLICE like for you to tell them stuff and every picture is worth a 1000-words. Gunny when you learn that person lives across town and drives a car not the truck. With a Company Truck for 24-hour driving possibilities.

Went camped in a DIRT and SAND PArks, at night before bed I'll rack a large area up into my door. In the morning I'll check for footprints and then cameras.

A solo woman or man should leave an extra pair of boots on the doorstep to help strangers think you are NOT ALONE.

MORE TIPS, after the smart folks, tell me how this want work for them.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

You lost me at WALMART.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
my main point for writing this post above was because there is so little information on safety and security, for "standard camping and RVing"?[/B]
Bold are my added words:

Could be because there's never been a need for information on safety and security for the last 100 years of camping/RVing in the USA.

Now for those who want to boondock in sketchy neighborhoods, Walmarts in unknown parts of town, etc. there may be a need for these security gadgets, but for 90% of us who camp in State and national parks, as well as commercial RV parks and campgrounds, the need is not there.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You lost me at WALMART.
Okay, well without a lot of detail maybe this 101 Class on "Mobile Self Security" is not for you and your dog. This topic is not about employing DOGS or Firearms for security.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #13

"I have an upgraded security door lock, 360-degree cameras, and motion-sensitive lights."

Upgraded security door lock....$50 lock on a $2 door
360 degree CAMERAS......might be good AFTER the fact but does NOTHING to detour the low lifes
Motion Sensitive Lights.........just allows low lifes to SEE better

Moving ON!
Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Bold are my added words:

Could be because there's never been a need for information on safety and security for the last 100 years of camping/RVing in the USA.

Now for those who want to boondock in sketchy neighborhoods, Walmarts in unknown parts of town, etc. there may be a need for these security gadgets, but for 90% of us who camp in State and national parks, as well as commercial RV parks and campgrounds, the need is not there.
MOST RV FOLKS, I will admit have their heads in the Florida Sand. Then only to learn too late and BINO they find out what is going on next door by reading the news or TV. Many people walk looking down or down to one side away from everyone. So here maybe this link to YOUTUBE will should you a bit of RV PROBLEM NEWS and stolen RVs. That might get you some food for thought or get you to be thinking a bit differently about your surroundings.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...curity+problem

Tags
safety, security alarm monitoring, security camera