Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #1

RV Service Department

After reading so many comments about 5th wheels and that they are rarely "perfect" That the service department is more important then sales and financing.
Are there any tips in evaluating the service department. It is ok to talk to customers waiting to pick up a unit being serviced? Are there signs that one service department is better then another?
We have picked out brand, floorplan and options and trying to decide what dealer to use. One is very close and one is about 200 miles from where we live.
Thank you in advance.
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the dealer doesn't want you to talk to customers waiting on service leave because they must be trying to hide bad service.

This site has recommendations:

RV Service Reviews

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

I would buy according to price alone. My experience with warranty tells me to forget they even exist.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I would buy according to price alone. My experience with warranty tells me to forget they even exist.
That's why there are consumer attorneys who specialize in recreational vehicles.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

I would base the purchase on price, not service (although it would be nice if they did good work and in a timely fashion) your no doubt going to have to have warranty work, it's just the nature of the best since you have a manufacturer brand in mind, check other dealerships in your area that sell and service that brand. There's nothing that says you have to have it serviced at the selling dealership.
We purchased our 5er over 80 miles away, and took it back twice for service and wasn't happy either time. Found a local CW that services my brand and have used them once and going back for more work.
Hope this helps
Safe travels
Steve
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

One more thing, you can always search YELP for a company to get some reviews. Keep in mind more people are more likely to write a bad review than a good one.
Good luck
Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stever53 View Post
I would base the purchase on price, not service (although it would be nice if they did good work and in a timely fashion) your no doubt going to have to have warranty work, it's just the nature of the best since you have a manufacturer brand in mind, check other dealerships in your area that sell and service that brand. There's nothing that says you have to have it serviced at the selling dealership.
We purchased our 5er over 80 miles away, and took it back twice for service and wasn't happy either time. Found a local CW that services my brand and have used them once and going back for more work.
Hope this helps
Safe travels
Steve
You got good service at a CW???? Somebody call me an ambulance and get me off the floor.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
You got good service at a CW???? Somebody call me an ambulance and get me off the floor.
Good service at CW? Call an ambulance for me too!! They are completely incompetent as far as being knowledgeable about product when they finally get to it. I had mine in for over two months and when I went to pick it up they had marked everything completed but when I got home I discovered they hadn't done anything.
Tuscany XTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany XTE View Post
Good service at CW? Call an ambulance for me too!! They are completely incompetent as far as being knowledgeable about product when they finally get to it. I had mine in for over two months and when I went to pick it up they had marked everything completed but when I got home I discovered they hadn't done anything.
I used to have a mechanic that at a former police department.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I New when I posted this I would get this kind of response about CW from other posts that I have read. But this was warranty work and I didn't want to take it 80 miles drop it off and go get it again, they had it for over 6 weeks the last time they worked on it. CW is about 5 miles away, so i figured I would try them, all in all I was satisfied with their work. I did drop it off and had to pick it up while they ordered the repair parts. For a company that gets a bad rap they sure are busy 4-6 weeks out for an appointment. When my warranty runs out March 2018 and I start paying for repairs I can't make myself I will shop around.
Safe travels

Tags
service