Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

RV Setup...

How long, and how much money is spent, getting your setup sorted out? I started with several assumptions/priorities, and find myself finding all kinds of shortcomings with those, wanting to make changes....unfortunately, most of the changes involve losing money invested in accessories and spending more money on new accessories....will it ever end, or is this just part of the lifestyle?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

Better than owning a boat!......Didn't keep track of money spent, and I like doing mods, so I'll probably keep this one......but, a lot of add ons could be transferred to a different one....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Setup...

Just part of the lifestyle. You'll never know you needed something until you start reading all these forums and see everyone's ideas. Then you'll need something. After awhile, you'll fall into a feeling with your coach of......ahhhhh, now it's just right. Not sure when that $$ amount is achieved. I haven't hit it yet, but getting closer.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

I think most new owners go thru a similar style of 'money lost' comparison to what they eventually wound up with.

I've always taken the stance that the RV/Motorhome itself is plenty enough to start with. You will quickly and/or eventually realize what you REALLY need, not what RV stores are trying to sale you on.

: toilet paper - special 'RV' type, really?? We've never used anything but the 'normal' TP we've always used, the nice two ply fluffy soft stuff. Never had a problem. just Use ENOUGH water.

: sewer - you don't need 'everything' the first day, though many will advise you of 'all' the eventual parts and pieces you might wind up with. Experience is the best solution to keep from buying 'unneeded' items. Yes, you may run into a situation where you 'wished' you were more prepared, but that itself will help you determine what you want to purchase the next time. Most of us have many adapters and devices we've never really used, purchased only because we're so 'afraid' we might need them! It's never really that bad.

: nic nacs - everybody has different preferences for what they consider 'fun' or 'comfortable' camping ... and some don't consider themselves campers at all, but only people living in their coach and traveling. It can be a different mindset, and one that makes the differences in how you 'view' your lifestyle. nic nacs can be annoying to some, and part of the enjoyment to others. by the way, what IS a nic nac? hmmm.

: tools - yes, you'll need a few, but carrying the mother-load is not required, and rarely needed or used.

you get the idea. For some of us it's experience that dictates what is 'needed', and others it's the fun of finding all the 'items' they need to make themselves feel like they're having an experience. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and I'm still adding "stuff".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and I'm still adding "stuff".
This is what I'm afraid of! It's never ending, isn't it?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #7

That is the kind of question you really don't want to know the answer to I fear...

Tom
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Well IMO first you have to learn to be satisfied with what you have for the most part and never mind what others have. Experience and exposure will help you find what you have to have. To me RV as in the name is recreational and you need to only spend on what you can stand to lose. Most things like this activity one does for enjoyment are all about a racket of an industry designed to separate you from your wealth.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Back when we purchased our coach - we made a conscious decision that we were going to outfit thing such that the coach would be independent from our "stick and brick" house to the greatest degree possible. That meant coach bedding, towels and linens, coach kitchen and small appliances, coach patio gear (chairs, BBQ, etc.) The only thing we take from the S&B house are our clothes, personal electronics (laptops, iPads, etc.) and groceries. The coach is outfitted with everything else.

Being that we knew that was going to be the case - we had already put aside money for "outfitting". We opted to purchase most everything new. I pushed for this in large part because I drove the selection of the coach from a "technical" perspective (i.e., what features, etc.). Deciding to outfit the bedding, towels, linens and kitchen with new stuff got my DW more involved.

Once we purchased the coach - we went on a month long shopping spree and bought everything that was on our outfitting list. When the dust settled, we ended up spending roughly $3,000 to turn it from an empty coach into our rolling home.

Since the initial spend - we've added / spend relatively little on "household goods". We've added a couple of little lamps, an inexpensive ottoman, a couple of decorative pillows and throws ... nothing big and nothing expensive in terms of household stuff.

I feel like we're pretty much set at this point ... and that future purchases will be little stuff ... and driven by my DW's tastes in decorating (new throw rugs every now and then, holiday decorations, a few bits of counter clutter (bric-a-brac) sort of things).
Old 06-16-2017, 02:07 AM   #10

We too have opted for dedicated RV stuff like SpaceNorman, the motorhome has its own outdoor furniture, bbq grill, towels, bedding, dishes, etc. Sure some of it may get rearranged with the sticks and bricks house stuff, and some gets sent to the motorhome as hand me downs. Our difference is there was no one big spending spree, instead we have for the most part worked on it a little at a time, other than an initial $400 or so I spent on day one of the retrieval trip when I bought the motorhome a thousand miles away from home in Florida. These were mostly necessities though, while the previous owner did leave a few things behind like sewer hoses and cord adapters, the dishes were limited to paper plates and plasticware, so 15 minutes after the sales transaction was done and I was on the road on the way to my first night at a campground a stop at Wal-Mart was in order to buy food,pillows, sheets, towels, knives, cutting board, flashlight, soap ....
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 AM   #11

Angry Water/fuel separator

I own a 2016 winnebago trend 23l.
It is powered by 2015 Chrysler promaster 3 ltr. 173 hp turbo diesel (which is a Fiat product ).
My local garage (private) cannot locate the water/fuel separator.
The local dodge dealer does not service this Chrysler product.
I cannot locate it using the owners manual.
Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVs are like erector sets. You start out with the basic kit...but keep adding on, and on...

I think there is a lot to what you're saying...but it really depends on the imagination and desires of the individual. There are some that are happy with the basic shore connections, maybe a patio carpet, a few wooden blocks for leveling, and a portable grill.

On the other hand...there are gadget gurus that have solar, wifi boosters, 4g range extenders, satellite tv, led lights, patio awnings, air compressors, the latest pin box, hitch, and suspension, dual fuel generators, every sewer fitting imaginable, ladders, pressure washers, water deionizers, macerator pumps, sewage totes, ... you get the idea. There really becomes no limit to the "toys" you can collect. (Other than $$$, space, and weight)

And..it's all very subjective --- where do you draw the line between practical and ridiculous? It varies depending on the individual.

I probably have a few too many gadgets... and I really enjoy seeing the creativity of others. I think it all comes down to whatever floats your boat. Keeping in mind...there are always limits to how much space and weight you can lend to these endeavors.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpaul View Post
I own a 2016 winnebago trend 23l.
It is powered by 2015 Chrysler promaster 3 ltr. 173 hp turbo diesel (which is a Fiat product ).
My local garage (private) cannot locate the water/fuel separator.
The local dodge dealer does not service this Chrysler product.
I cannot locate it using the owners manual.
Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Start your own thread instead of hijacking an unrelated existing one. More people will see it and you will be more likely to get an answer. Welcome to the forum !
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #14

Some of my issue lies with the fact that we started full timing, and I'm discovering some shortcomings in my initial setup...such as, I have a bed cover which I like, but after hauling gas in five gallon cans, I think I'd prefer a transfer tank. I've got tools in a soft tool bag, but I'm hating having to dig thru it for what I want, so maybe a truck toolbox to go with the transfer tank. I'm also considering swapping my pinbox and hitch for a Reese Goosebox to simplify that area. Mostly things that I think may make my life easier as we move around the country. Inside the RV is pretty well set for now.

I do need to install a cell booster, as I depend on my hotspots for work. That will be done here shortly, as I've already had to deal with weak signal, and I have to minimize that as much as possible.