Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

RV Show

Went to NO RV show this weekend. The thing that really stands out are the very dark colors & fabrics which are being used in RV's, both M/homes & trailers. What is with this? It would be like living in a cave. We have light colors & wood in our unit. Guess we are open air people, but we like sun shine in Windows, etc. Not an interior decorator, engineer, but I could do better than those doing it now. Comments?
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For some reason, RV interior designers seem to equate dark colors in exterior/interior schemes with sophistication & luxury. Not my taste. I don't want to have to turn lights on in the middle of the day when it's bright & sunny out just because a dark interior sucks the life out of it. But some must like it or they wouldn't be producing/selling 'em.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We specifically ordered our two Dutch Stars with the light, whitewashed birch so they would be lighter on the PNW's grey days.
The Magna is darker but not too bad with it's light cherry wood. And you can always lighten them up with a few lighter throw rugs or accent covers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We like the darker colors, wood and fabrics. The coach has 4 large windows and a huge windshield in the living area so there's plenty of light in there. I'd like darker on the outside if it weren't for the heat issue with the gelcoat. White on top seems to work better there.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We like the darker colors, wood and fabrics. The coach has 4 large windows and a huge windshield in the living area so there's plenty of light in there. I'd like darker on the outside if it weren't for the heat issue with the gelcoat. White on top seems to work better there.
We loved the colors on the outside of the coach....with a softer medium brown on the inside and lighter flooring we find it bright enough. Plenty of windows and LED lighting make it seem like outside..

We even matched the RV and had our trailer covered to match..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	120928   Click image for larger version

Name:	12108738_10206462256268493_6329426226819043781_n.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	120929  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	120930  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #6

Dark wood is "in" now in home decor as well -- floors, kitchen cabinets, etc., so that is why. Eventually things will swing back to light wood, and all those folks with dark wood cabinets and floors are going to find their decor "dated". Always happens. I remember looking at a house years ago with my husband that had super dark wood kitchen cabinets and hating them, not realizing that had we bought it, we would have been ahead of the style curve! We went with light maple instead.

Our motorhome is an '07 and has lighter oak cabinets and tan decor. I prefer light and would not be happy in a dark cherry or walnut motorhome, I don't think. The lighter colors seem to go better with our casual lifestyle, and light wood does not show dust (or white/blonde hair shed by people or dogs!) as much.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

Love it, I have migraines ( so very helpful ) and grands and doesn't show as much. But our first had all white and light everything!!!!

In this Gateway, we have white cabinets in the bath and dark cabinets in the rest of RV.

Our countertops are dark, wasn't a fan at first, but I also think it's a luxury type look they are going for.

And some folks live in theirs full time. So they might like it like that.

We were told that our first RV hadn't sold because of the light cabinetry.
Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

We also felt the new coaches had less storage as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote