Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
I also happened to go to the dealership a few weeks after the show and was "lucky" because they'd give me the same deal. I went home and did some research and found my trailer for thousands less all over the web. I brought my printouts of those finds with me and pointed out I could have one of those shipped and still be better than the special I was "lucky" to be getting. They dropped the price to well below the special. I didn't pay the absolute lowest price I found on the web but felt like I got a fair deal without the cost and hassle of shipping the trailer.

GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
Thanks to all for your replies. Lots of good information and suggestions.

When we head to the Tampa show this January, we'll go in armed with current, thorough research on the models that interest us and will be prepared to walk away from the negotiating table if we decide to try to buy a show special but can't get what we consider a fair deal.

Safe travels!

Full-time since April 2013
DARSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Triple E Owners Club
I want to diverge a touch here and I hope it doesn't upset Sally or anyone else, if so I apologize.

Many years ago when my wife and I were first married we went to the RV show just to look at nice thing we couldn't afford. We had just bought a house and had babies, but what the heck you can dream.

Anyhow we were walking around and the salesmen were basically ignoring us as they should. We certainly didn't fit the bill.

Anyhow we ended up in the nicest Motorhome there and were walking through it. 2 salesmen were sitting at the table and after a quick glance ignored us and went back to talking about hockey or whatever.

As we passing back by them, someone asked how much it was worth and the salesman said 99 thousand which was far more than we had paid for our house.

The DW turned to me and casually said "that's not bad".

Well those salesmen were out of their chairs and handing cards and brochures and basically just kissing our behinds.

Once we got out I said to my wife "what do you mean not bad"? She said that 99 hundred seemed like a reasonable price for something that fancy. She had mis-heard and that was why she could be so cool. She thought the price was 1/10th.

She almost fell over when I told her the real price.

But those salesmen have sensitive ears and anybody who figured 99 grand at the time wasn't bad they wanted to talk to.

Hope that the story gave you a laugh as every time I think about it 30 or 35 years later it still makes me smile.

Be cool.

KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You have to KNOW your prices. We bought a Fleetwood Jamboree in July of 1990 and went to the L.A. RV show two months later. The same coach was about a $1000.00 more. We felt we did well in negotiating a deal and the RV Show special was a pretty good price.

A couple of points to remember....

-A high percentage of the salesman at RV shows don't do it for a living. They are brought in so that there are a bunch of salesman present when you're looking. They usually are clueless about the product and have no abillity to make a deal. They HAVE to pass you on to a closer.

-A lot of people, more than will admit, don't like to haggle over prices when purchasing a big ticket item. The RV SHows are targeting those people. Offer what looks like a great deal and than pressure you to buy.

-Take a good look at who you're buying from and who will service your RV when the show is over. Many companies come in for the show and go home when it's over.

-One of the best posts above talks about not beating yourself to death after the purchase in regards to what you paid. Almost EVERY motor home has different options than the one parked next to it. It's human nature for people to tell you they got a better deal than they did to save face. So purchase your coach and don't look back, it'll make you crazy.

-Take a list of exactly what you must have and what you would like. As an example, when we were looking for our current coach, I had a list of must haves...ISL engine, Aluminum wheels, Smart Wheel, no rubber roof, side aisle (all in one bath) etc. I would have liked a side radiator, aqua hot, etc. We got what we thought was the best bang for our buck and are mostly happy with our choice.

-I think everytime you look for a new to you coach, you're looking for specifics that you're current coach doesn't have. DON'T go to either a dealer or an RV Show and let them push you into a purchase that isn't what you want. Take that list with you that has the pros and cons of various coaches and buy what you really want.

-Lastly, most people will finance an RV purchase (no matter what the people on here claim) and will often not buy what they want because the payment may be $15-$20 more than they had planned. After the purchase you realize that adding those items included in the higher price or living without them wasn't worth chincing on it at the time of purchase.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
Originally Posted by John H...
Your best deal could be buying a new last years model when the new ones are out. Roughly about 70% of MSRP.
What? Is this a typo?

MSRP pricing is clearly a joke in the RV Industry but 70% ...you can't be serious. WHO could present an offer like this with a straight face?
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
In your case you know what you want, you know what you want to pay...what's to hurt to see f you can get it. If you're not sure, don't position yourself for buyers remorse. Fur us, we're on pins and needles waiting to enter this new lifestyle full-time.
Conrats on the new order!

Question ... when did you order it and what kind of wait is there now for the new Entegras? I heard it was running about 9 months???

Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
What? Is this a typo?

MSRP pricing is clearly a joke in the RV Industry but 70% ...you can't be serious. WHO could present an offer like this with a straight face?

I think the poster means paying 70% "of" MSRP (also meaning ~30% off).
2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

Question ... when did you order it and what kind of wait is there now for the new Entegras? I heard it was running about 9 months???

Retail orders do get priority over dealer stock orders. An order right now will be delivered in May or June. A dealer stock order will be delivered in September or October. That's the info that I have been given. If Entegra gets their new factory up and running relatively soon, I'm sure the pace will pick up.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

Ours comes off the line, we're told, 15 Dec, so should be in Orlando at RVone late in month (they drive it to the selling dealership for delivery to customer). We purchased at the Hershey show...found RVOne excellent to deal with. For the show thread, RVOne brought in THEIR sales people from the four RVOne locations....all knowledgable including the guy who did the walkaround video that you'll find on the RVOne site. If you order one from a dealer that is not on his dealer stock order list, I hear 8-9 months. Ours was on the dealer order list, they made a few adjustments (no mobile eye...we didn't want it), so delivery in about 4 months.

As to discount, no one wants to say precisely, because they don't want to be told they got screwed, I guess. My online research said maybe 35% off MSRP for year end models (2012 in my case) and anything over 25-27% was gravy for 2013.

As to placing the MSRP to show those discounts, what I've read and observed suggests Entegra is no different that anyone else. I feel I got a fair price - I'm ecstatic - and I liked doing business with RVOne (as opposed to Colton RV who was selling Tiffen at the same show, Bob Tiffen in attendance).

Good luck in your search...a lot of folks in this owners area seem to be real happy with their choice.
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sometimes the manufacturer will offer a special discount to the dealer on rigs bought at the show. If that's the case then waiting might cost you more for the same RV.
I agree with Mr-D! This has been my experience, first as a marine boat dealer for twenty some years and yes manufacturers do offer dollar incentives for the dealer to move product year long but in particular THIS time of the year. New 2013 are on the way! Dealers have to clear their floor plans. Soooo, purchasing at shows does offer better buys. DW and I were fortunate to benefit from this timing in our just purchased class A. Remember 2012's are on majority built in 2011 but titled as 2012! However, everything aside, pick your floor plan that you guys love! This is where you will live part time or full time for years. Good luck and have fun this is an exciting time!!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sounds like you are prepared to make a good deal, and have received some great info here. Be ready to walk away and have them come to you, have fun with it.

I love going to RV shows but would never purchase an RV that has been at a show, that's just me.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
What a deal at Hershey rv show

Tried purchasing a new 5er at various dealers a month before the Hershey rv show. When it came to trading my old 5er they took the trade in value off the list price. Result?? I was only getting about 7 grand for trade. At Rv show they discounted the rv first 25 grand of list, then gave me top trade value for my 06 5er another 22 grand. Couldn't beat that price anywhere before the show. In addition the manufacture paid 1 grand of the 7 year extended warranty, agreed to install new pullrite on my new truck and will travel 90 miles to pick up my old 5er. My wife and I couldn't believe the deal we struck. We did our homework on 5ers before we went to the show and had narrowed it down to 4. That made our day at the show a lot easier.

'13 Cruiser Patriot
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote