Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

RV shows - few Class C's

I'm new to the forum, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread.

I'm interested in getting a Class C for full-timing, and I'm wondering if other states have a better selection of Cs at their shows. I've been to the IA State Fair, and our latest RV and Camping show, because I wanted to be able to get a chance to view first-hand the different floorplans and options. But, at the fair, no one brought anything but travel trailers and 5th wheels, and at the RV show, there were only 4 Class Cs, and 5 Class As.

I asked a couple of the salespeople there why they didn't bring any C's to the show, and they just said that they sell more 5th wheels, and it's basically a waste of time to bring Class Cs to shows.

Anyone have any feedback on this? Am I looking at the wrong kind of RV?
WellReadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum!
The commercial RV shows are geared toward families, most of which (in our area) buy what they can afford, ie travel trailers and entry level fifth wheels.
I'm not sure where you'd go to see Class C motorhomes at show, other than a dealer. You might check your local Winnebago, Jayco, Fleetwood dealer and see what they have. Camping World ( if there is one by you) usually has a pretty good selection of new and used RV's. Whether buying from them is a good thing is whole 'nother thread.
Class C's are great (we have one) but a lot of families today simply can't justify the expense for something that is used infrequently. And a large part of your Class A buyers are most likely retired folks, as even a new entry level "A" starts at about $80,000, tough for a young family to afford.
Anyway, good luck. Hope this is somewhat helpful and maybe others can chime in with their ideas.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I suspect the display models are dictated by customer demand.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The RV market is a VERY tight one...In my opinion the typical RV show is where you will see rigs the dealer is trying to move. The RV's that are pre-ordered or sell as soon as they arrive on the lot, are not the ones that go to the shows.

Like...one of our forum members went all the way to the Hershey, PA show to see a 2013 Thor Outlaw. No Outlaw at the show! The Outlaw is the original Class "A" Toyhauler, so average thinking would be there should be an Outlaw at the Hershey show.

There is a trick, you can tell when a salesman is telling a lie - His/her mounth is moving.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm actually going to try to get to the Winnebago factory on my way to MN in Oct. I drive right by the Forest City exit, so figure I may as well check it out. I sure like the look of the View Profile. You're right, the A's and C's are a bit higher-priced than the 5W and TT. I just don't want to have to buy a truck, and really don't need a lot of storage, since it's just going to be me.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I attended the RV Show in Dallas, TX on Friday and saw lots of Class C units there. It was amazing all the features they put in the Class C units now!

I don't know about RV shows outside of Texas but I have always seen a good mix of units at the RV Shows. You can also check out PPL - a popular RV resale place in Houston. They have a website with floorplans and pictures of gently used RVs.

We aso have a solo RVers forum at Solo RV'ers - iRV2 Forums. Check it out!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #7

Good luck on your quest. As already mentioned, the vehicle stock at a dealer may be superior to that at a show. If you call a dealer in advance, ask them when the slowest time of week is for them, explaining that it should give you more time to spend with a sales person.

You might also want to consider combining a mini-vacation with a visit to one of the super dealers like PPL or Lazydays.

Lastly, since you are going full-time, you may have a choice of what state you choose to declare as your residence. You can legally save a lot of money on sales tax if you buy/register in a low or no tax state.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote