Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Since their issue is with the carpeted steps go to your local hot tub store and buy a set of composite tub steps. Many colors and multiple tread heights and numbers.
Rather than play games with the jerks, ask them what they will accept.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rather liked the post which said "Flordia...."

ADA is a Federal act.. not a state law, uniform across the country.

However it is true it does not require PERSONAL residence comply. That is up to the owner. It requires businesses comply, It requires "Resonable accommodation"

I think allowing an RV owner to build his own entry steps, or cause them to be bulit, at his OWN expense, is reasonable.. Very reasonable.

Question for the O/P. anyone have a deck outside their RV? (Note that is also a suggestion) the steps leading up to the deck is exactly what you wish to build.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As previously stated, I don't think this is an ADA issue, and if the board is hanging their hat on ADA compliance, I would say they are overstepping their bounds, unless the condo docs specifically incorporate ADA into their requirements. I am not a lawyer, but I too stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and as a former township engineer I used to review community site plans for ADA compliance. However, they may also be worrying that if you have built steps with a non-standard height, and the property is rented, then a trip and fall by a renter due to odd step height could be used by an ambulance chaser to sue everyone including the condo association, probably not successfully, but costs would be incurred. But if their real issue is ugly, then the previous suggestion of getting premade fiberglass steps may be your best solution.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #32

More than I ever wanted to know about the ADA.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkro View Post
can a deeded lot rv park tell you that you cannot have specific steps on your motorhome when your doctor has said you cannot climb certain height steps - does this go against ada?
If it were me, I would put the steps in , just as long as they weren't outlandish, and let the park pound salt or by back the lot.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure whether it violates ADA, but it certainly violates human compassion in my book.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ADA applies to businesses, and Govermental agenicies, NOT to private homes. So if I were a developer the only house I'd have to install ADA compliant ramps and such would be the demonstrator I show to the public.. These ramps would be optional with the homeowner on all other homes.

They would also be temporary ramps such as I used on my car when I used to haul a handicapped and her electric chair around with me. (The ramps made it easy to load the wheel chair)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
this is our deeded lot in a RV park. My husband is a retired builder and made wooden steps and carpeted them. They are three steps instead of the two steps that are attached to the motorhome so they are not big and it is what the doctor has said I need instead of the steeper two steps on the motorhome. The condo docs say that you cannot have wooden structures, such as porches/decks/steps. When they had their board meeting, they said that they will have to have a doctors letter and will take each case into consideration separately, because of compliance with ada. I provided them with my doctors letter, but the board said no to the steps. Apparently, they are only enforcing the condo docs rule on owners as many people who just rent a lot have detached steps and wooden landings that are carpeted in ugly, ripped carpet. So my question was has anyone else dealt with an ada issue before.
If it's just that they are made from wood, could you use metal steps? Mobile home supply stores have a wide selection of prefabbed metal steps. Never seen any but perhaps one the RV step manufactures makes a 3 step model.

I still think they are a bunch jerks lacking any evidence of compassion. Bet their moms would have a conniption if they new how they were treating you.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The ADA applies to businesses, and Govermental agenicies, NOT to private homes. So if I were a developer the only house I'd have to install ADA compliant ramps and such would be the demonstrator I show to the public.. These ramps would be optional with the homeowner on all other homes.

They would also be temporary ramps such as I used on my car when I used to haul a handicapped and her electric chair around with me. (The ramps made it easy to load the wheel chair)
What Building Code are you getting that information from? ADA is applicable to all structures, but each occupancy has different areas that must comply. Every single family home and/or apartment doesn't have to comply with all requirements, but must comply with those parameters required by the specific building code in effect.
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Has the issue been resolved?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Take pictures of other properties that have steps like the ones you propose and try to get a waiver..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #40

The issue has not been resolved. We are asking to place 3 steps to our motorhome, not any kind of deck etc. They now say it is a liability issue to the condo association because if someone were to fall or the steps collapse, the association would be liable. I wonder why we have to have our own insurance on our lot for then if it still has the condo association liable for anything that happens. As for putting up metal steps or fiberglass steps, they would be much bigger and much more expensive and still would not get approved unless a waiver from the manufacturers of these steps is signed stating that they would be responsible for any accidents. There is also a committee that has to approve anything you do to your lot, so you could not just put up a piece of junk set of steps. This is an upscale park and if you have any weeds, your carriage house doors are faded etc., you get a letter telling you to take care of the problem or you get fined, so the steps would have to me kept maintained and not become rotten or unsightly looking.
rmkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
[QUOTE=rmkro;913176]can a deeded lot rv park tell you that you cannot have specific steps on your motorhome when your doctor has said you cannot climb certain height steps - does this go against ada?[

Name the park. I assume you own the lot? If you are renting seasonal fron an owner and are not building permanent structure they are in violation of ADA.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The issue has not been resolved. We are asking to place 3 steps to our motorhome, not any kind of deck etc. They now say it is a liability issue to the condo association because if someone were to fall or the steps collapse, the association would be liable. I wonder why we have to have our own insurance on our lot for then if it still has the condo association liable for anything that happens. As for putting up metal steps or fiberglass steps, they would be much bigger and much more expensive and still would not get approved unless a waiver from the manufacturers of these steps is signed stating that they would be responsible for any accidents. There is also a committee that has to approve anything you do to your lot, so you could not just put up a piece of junk set of steps. This is an upscale park and if you have any weeds, your carriage house doors are faded etc., you get a letter telling you to take care of the problem or you get fined, so the steps would have to me kept maintained and not become rotten or unsightly looking.
This is but one example of why I will never own property where there is an HOA. It's time for you to either move or get a lawyer.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote