Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #1

Anyone out there own/operate a RV storage lot?

I'm looking at taking a 5acre parcel and turning it into a storage lot for RV's & motorhomes. I do have a couple of questions that I'm looking for help on.

1. Surveillance systems? Is it necessary?

2. What amenities to offer (dump station, water, work area, etc)?

3. Security access? Best to use cards, key pad w/codes, ??

4. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #2

Anyone out there own/operate a RV storage lot?

I'm looking at taking a 5acre parcel and turning it into a storage lot for RV's & motorhomes. I do have a couple of questions that I'm looking for help on.

1. Surveillance systems? Is it necessary?

2. What amenities to offer (dump station, water, work area, etc)?

3. Security access? Best to use cards, key pad w/codes, ??

4. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 AM   #3

Depending how close to the city will determine the level of security that you need. LIke how high a fence. how many cameras, on site security, etc.
Most storage yard do not have a lot of amenities. Offering a dump site is a plus. Even a work area is a bigger plus.
Good luck in your endeavour.
Chet
Old 12-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Since I used such a storage lot in the past I thought I would throw in my $0.02. Even in the best of neighborhoods, I would be concerned about security. A high fence with barbed wire would be preferable in protecting my considerable investment. The last storage facility I used had a security gate that was accessible via a key pad between the hours of 6 am till 11 pm. Each customer had a unigue code, so they did not have to change the code every time someone didn't pay their bill. This also saved the expense of cards. A work area would be nice. I did not have the luxury of having somewhere to park my trailer to work on it and I was not allowed to do any maint or repairs at the storage facility. A place to fill the water tanks was a big plus to me. Dump station, never crossed my mind. I always dumped at the camp ground or on the way back to teh storage lot. Security cameras are definately a deterent to the undesirable, but may be tough to cover several acres. That one I would consider based on a location by location basis based on the security of the area where the storage facility is located.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #5

A pair of very large and nasty dogs makes for an excellent security system. If they eat a few would be burglers, then less dog food that has to be bought.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #6

We have stored our motorhome for the last four years in a storage facilty that has four large fully enclosed buildings----the whole area is enclosed with a fence with wire on the top----each building will hold 44 motorhomes or boats(22 on each side of the building)----the buildings have doors on each end and are entered by a keypad(each space has an unique number)----the spaces are angled 15'x 45'and are marked on the concrete floor----each space has electric hookups. There is a dump station on the property, and two wash areas----these areas have a keypad entry also----there is a manager that lives on the property and he drives through the buildings several times a day. There is also a building with about 20 spaces that are separated and have their own door----they are wider and longer.

This arrangement has worked well for us----the buildings are well lighted and ventilated----after washing the motorhome it is easy to wax it in your space or to do other maintance chores.

Mary

2001 38' Newmar Dutch Star DP
dapmfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #7

Mary,
That sounds like a great setup. How much do you have to pay a month?

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:23 PM   #8

Tom,

It is $210 per month----motorhome parking of any kind is very limited in our area of Houston----this is more than we want to pay, but we want our motorhome to be in a safe, secure place, and the full paint we have has benefited from not sitting out in the hot sun for four years---- coach looks new----and we are able to keep a dehumidifier running for the awful humidity that we have here.

Mary

2001 38' Newmar Dutch Star DP
dapmfp is offline   Reply With Quote