Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

RV Storage Shed/Roof

I am interested in putting up a storage shed / roof for our 5th wheel up here in southern BC, Canada for the off season. We would need a 14' height clearance to the bottom of the rafters by about 12 - 15' in width and 45' long. Have any of you installed some of the metal roof structures? Do they hold up well with snow and wind loads? Any idea of a cost on something like this (we already have a gravel pad to park on and I would just like a roof structure to keep the snow and some sun off our unit)? I see there is a company that manufactures these metal roof structures (Coast to Coast Carports Inc.) in about the Nampa area (southern Idaho), any experience with these?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
KIX

Here's a pic of what we put up. It's 11' vertical at the "eaves". 16' x 46' as you can see, there is only roof and sidewalls........no ends. It's engineered for 140mph wind load. Only exposed to maybe 65 mph since erected. No snow load here in Florida. There are a lot of this type of structures around here. The skin all looks the same. Good luck
Attached Images

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ours is similar. Built in 2001 and is rated to 110 mph winds. Most it has been subjected to so far is about 60 mph. Don't know about snow. This measures 20'x41' with a peak clearance of 13'9". Be sure to get as big shelter as you can afford. Ours was originally 20'x30'. After a year, we bought something bigger and had to add 10' to the length.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Thanx Half Dimes, I see your structure is installed on a gravel pad. How did you anchor it to the ground?

Would you, or anyone for that matter recommend concrete footing to attach the structure to?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
Thanx Half Dimes, I see your structure is installed on a gravel pad. How did you anchor it to the ground?

Would you, or anyone for that matter recommend concrete footing to attach the structure to?
There are 2"x2" galvanized posts sunk in concrete at each corner of the original 20x30 shelter. Those posts are bolted to the support posts at those locations. In addition, 3' ground anchors are located at 5' intervals and bolted to the base rails.

There's no reason that I know of that you couldn't have a concrete footing though I don't think it's necessary unless local codes dictate it.

Ours seems very well anchored. I expect in something greater than a Cat 3 hurricane that the sheet metal would tear off before the frame would go. In any case, if that kind of weather is coming we don't plan on staying around to find out.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
I am interested in putting up a storage shed / roof for our 5th wheel up here in southern BC, Canada for the off season. We would need a 14' height clearance to the bottom of the rafters by about 12 - 15' in width and 45' long. Have any of you installed some of the metal roof structures? Do they hold up well with snow and wind loads? Any idea of a cost on something like this (we already have a gravel pad to park on and I would just like a roof structure to keep the snow and some sun off our unit)? I see there is a company that manufactures these metal roof structures (Coast to Coast Carports Inc.) in about the Nampa area (southern Idaho), any experience with these?
This link over on another thread will have all the info and pics you'll want.

iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions Lets see your coach garage

Lets see your coach garage
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Does any one have a recommendation for a carport company? Have looked at several online but most of the national ones have a lot of complaints.
I live in Spring Hill, Fla area.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

We had a Morton steel building at our last MI home. Very pleased with it. On the other hand, our current building in MI's "thumb" was done by a small local contractor & has worked well.

Wish we could have a building for our MH at our FL home but Sugarmill doesn't allow such things.

I noted that Morton has a sales office in Gainesville.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

I want a pole barn so bad
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info, will look them up on line.

Tags
roof, storage