Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Storage, Why so hard to find?

We have recently relocated to the Richmond, VA area and have been looking for covered storage for our motorhome in the area. We have been surprised that in an area this large, the only options (and they have been few) are open storage in self-storage facilities. In talking with one large RV dealer in the area and another large independent RV repair shop, they both advise they get regular inquiries about this and know of no good options. I have run an ad in the local newspaper and have only gotten one response from a farmer who had a steel building (it was 56 miles away and pretty dumpy).

So, I have considered buying a small plot in one of the less urban/more rural areas near me and putting up a simple steel building. To help with the cost of this idea, I have thought I might consider putting up something with perhaps 3 or 4 bays and rent space to other RV owners who might be interested (after more research, of course).

I have asked myself the obvious question.....if there is a need (and surely there are many RV owners in this market) why hasn't someone else moved to to meet the need? Is there too much liability, too little profit for the space required, etc.? I would not intend to make a profit if I should do this but primarily just offset my costs.

What am I missing? Any advice, suggestions, comments are welcome.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In your neck of the woods, Richmond, VA area, as you stated it's not so much of a need. It will get dirty, but the sun isn't going to bake it and disintegrate it where it stands.

A good cover is all you need to protect it if you want it to not be exposed. However, there is nothing wrong with your desire to store it indoors. It will stay even cleaner than with only a cover.

The states further South have much more extreme sunlight throughout the year. UV damage is the most obviously noticed damage, and that's why you will find indoor RV storage, (including homes built with RV garages, commercial rental indoor space, and privately owned "RV condos"), in the Southern latitude states.

Around 2004, (with the local Southern California economy, manufacturing, and aerospace languishing), or so there were many commercial warehouses sitting empty. My friends and I rented a 250,000 sq. ft. warehouse to store our toys in. It was REALLY cheap as the owner decided to join us, storing his toys.

Needless to say, as the economy has slowly recovered somewhat and the commercial warehouses are no longer sitting quite as empty. The space is now more valuable, being prohibitive just for storing toys. However, later some people opened concierge/valet style indoor warehouse storage facilities which include fueling/washing/detailing.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Have you checked boat dealers? That's where I store mine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
County Fair Grounds is where I will be storing mine this winter here in MI. Right now it is sitting in a covered three sided farmer's barn that will not be available in winter. Works for us.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

I've heard of people renting hangers at small local airports. I've been tempted to look into it myself as there are two small airports near me.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I did check with the only local general aviation airport in Ashland, VA and was told no RV storage. One of the pilots did suggest another general aviation facility with some empty hangars about 50 miles from me.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Another factor you may want to consider is Personal Property Tax. Not all VA counties tax RV's as personal property; Prince William County is one that's not too far away. Not sure of the rate in Henrico county.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Another factor you may want to consider is Personal Property Tax. Not all VA counties tax RV's as personal property; Prince William County is one that's not too far away. Not sure of the rate in Henrico county.

Take care,
Stu
Our coach is now 'stored' in Bedford County which does tax RV's and boats. My realistic preferences would be Hanover or Goochland counties, both of which are close by and have more 'rural' property available than Henrico.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

The problem with RV storage is the size of the RV's. To build a permanent warehouse structure so large is expensive, and the rental rates (vs. outside storage) is not enough to get a good return on their investment.

The easiest "inside" storage for an RV is one of the "portable" carport structures that can be installed in one day. Unfortunately, many nice neighborhoods don't allow them and yards in subdivisions are not large enough for so large of a structure.

I'm fortunate that my member owned campground has 300 trailers in outside storage, and the $32.50 we pay monthly supports the campground financially. It's also nice having guards on the gate 16 hrs. per day.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

If you can handle the cost of purchasing a small plot of ground you may consider a cooperative with 4 or 5 others to share the cost and a building as well as 24hr security on the property. Storage outside is probably not so much of a problem as underroof storage. Find a lawyer with need for RV storage to handle the legal issues.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

I've run into two issues:

1) Not all counties/municipalities will allow a plot of land with only storage facilities. Check the possibilities before buying anything. It may require commercial zoning or something.

2) Very few GA airports allow storage of RV's in the hangar. The FAA has been cracking down on using airports for non-aviation uses. We have 2 planes in our hangar and still are not supposed to store anything like RV's, boats, cars, etc.

Luckily I have cheap uncovered storage nearby, though I'm hoping to eventually have a real RV garage at my home.

Good luck!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We ran into the same thing, Gary. There's just nothing around & one that was fairly close (30mi) wanted $3k/yr & is limited to under 40ft. So we ended up building an RV 50ft port on FIL's acreage (60mi). He's over 80 now & don't know how long he'll be able to stay there & we'll lose our port.

We did consider making it larger for income from others needing such storage, but the liabilities were more than we wanted to assume. KT4's advice to consult a lawyer would be adviseable if you're considering adding space for rentals.

Good luck.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage