Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #29

Wink Surge protection is your friend...

Lots of very good reasons(read this thread from the beginning), to have a good unit and aside from a few hundred dollars no reason on earth not to. In the last couple of years I have found defective/bad power at three different pedestals. Both low and high voltage can seriously damage/destroy every piece of electronics in your rig... start adding up what that will cost to replace (Assuming you don't have a fire which could total out the rig and everyone in it).

We live in Arizona where there are an abundance of lightning strikes. I had my electrician install a commercial grade surge protector on the house. Even if we don't get a strike the resultant power surges can do a lot of damage. Not a bad time to check your fire extinguishers as well. They (as in more than one), should be rated A-B-C and you should have a good working knowledge of how to properly use them. Be safe out there.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We left one campground over where we are at for several reasons and one big one was the electric was starting to go weird. It had been mostly steady for a few months but started to go to 110 then to 100 volts ... not enough the surge guard shut us off till the power went back up so that we would not loose any other expensive stuff. The same day we left a guy moved over to that spot (yes we had told him about the problems on that pedestal and yes we did tell the office too.) Within a few days it spiked up or down enough it took out his AC and 1 or 2 other things. Nope the park did not reimburse him for the things he lost. He did move back to his original spot thou. And from what we understand the park has now been told to move more spots back down to 30 amp and stop moving them to 50 amp.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
40 years of RVing and never owned or used one.

Never had a problem.

Built a new home in 1970. No surge protector here either. Never a problem in 44 years.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
40 years of RVing and never owned or used one. Never had a problem. Built a new home in 1970. No surge protector here either. Never a problem in 44 years.
You have had good luck.

My neighbor was unlucky but had good insurance. After his deductible, it was only 7 weeks until the battle with the insurance company ended and all was repaired. In the mean time, he was not mobil, of course.

Best wishes!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You have had good luck.

My neighbor was unlucky but had good insurance. After his deductible, it was only 7 weeks until the battle with the insurance company ended and all was repaired. In the mean time, he was not mobil, of course.

Best wishes!
Your neighbor needs a new insurance company. Possibly one such as mine, Erie Insurance Exchange. I've been with them for 53 years.

Best wishes!
-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
I have the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C and it sure saved us a few years ago. We visit the wife's sister in a Mobile Home park in CA each winter during our travels and for 3 years we had no problems plugging into one of the two rv spots in the park. Then two years ago we pulled in and I plugged into the 50amp as usual and the surge protector wouldn't allow the electric to pass through to the MH. It was an open ground. I also use it at home on my 30amp I ran for the mh.

I won't plug in without it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine came with it from the factory.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Built a new home in 1970. No surge protector here either. Never a problem in 44 years.
Tom N - isn't Shelocta the place with that big power plant that's always running?
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #37

No only for surges but mine has a built in time delay to keep from frying AC compressor from a short power outage.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #38

Lighting will jump through any surge suppressor if it sustains a direct hit, there is nothing sold for the home market that will prevent a surge of that intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No only for surges but mine has a built in time delay to keep from frying AC compressor from a short power outage.
To the best of my knowledge all RV air conditioners have a built-in time delay for the entire unit, to prevent short-cycling, it allows about 2 minutes for the compressor pressure to equalize before allowing a re-start.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Your neighbor needs a new insurance company. Possibly one such as mine, Erie Insurance Exchange. I've been with them for 53 years. Best wishes! -Tom
He is with Erie as I have been for 26 years.

There are 2 kinds of RVers. Those that have had power issues that can cause damage, and those that will. Some will be protected. Of those not, some will have disabled MHs.

My PT-50C has saved me from 7 insurance deductibles so far. Mostly from bad neutrals.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Lighting will jump through any surge suppressor if it sustains a direct hit, there is nothing sold for the home market that will prevent a surge of that intensity.

To the best of my knowledge all RV air conditioners have a built-in time delay for the entire unit, to prevent short-cycling, it allows about 2 minutes for the compressor pressure to equalize before allowing a re-start.
I have the 50 amp hard wired surge guard on there web site it has a 128 second delay to protect AC compressors I believed them so I bought one.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
We camped at Steven Foster State Park for a while last winter . On the first site the Pi HW 50 C would not pass any elec. I do not know what the problem was and and I
never did find out. All I know is that the HW 50 C protected my system. All in all a inexpensive purchase
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #42

[QUOTE=Raining Star;1994789]DW saw the ad in Motorhome magazine for surge suppressors for RV's. We had just hired an electrician to put in a 50 amp line to the RV driveway, and so she wanted to know what I thought about using a suppressor at home as well as travel.
Much to her surprise, I admitted I didn't know. Can someone help restore my reputation as a "know it all" and clue me in about how much of a threat electrical spikes really are to RV's.[/QUOTE
We have stayed in rv parks for 25 years and have never used one or needed one, Never had a problem with electricity

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote