Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A few hundred $$$$ is sure better and a thousand $$$ or more to replace control broads and other electronics.

But do spend a bit more to get a good surge protector than also check and protects for over/under voltage and incorrect wiring.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #44

This post convinced me to buy the Progressive Industries model. Under $100 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge: Automotive

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
This post convinced me to buy the Progressive Industries model. Under $100 at Amazon.

I'm happy with it

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post

Be careful. This is only a surge protector. It does not monitor high/low voltage, or check for bad connections (bad ground, reverse wring, etc.). I have never experienced a surge issue, but have many times been saved from the other issues by my Progressive unit.

ArlinV
2011 American Eagle 45B
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #47

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
Be careful. This is only a surge protector. It does not monitor high/low voltage, or check for bad connections (bad ground, reverse wring, etc.). I have never experienced a surge issue, but have many times been saved from the other issues by my Progressive unit.

ArlinV
2011 American Eagle 45B
You're are correct in that they do not monitor high/low voltage but they do detect
a faulty pedestal (bad ground, open neutral reverse polarity etc.). I just replaced my $100 simple unit with a full EMS model and will keep my old one for a back up or to loan to any neighbor that might need it.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
You're are correct in that they do not monitor high/low voltage but they do detect

a faulty pedestal (bad ground, open neutral reverse polarity etc.). I just replaced my $100 simple unit with a full EMS model and will keep my old one for a back up or to loan to any neighbor that might need it.

I'm sorry, you are correct. I went back to their site and re-read the specs.

I lost a basement refrigerator/freezer to low voltage. It now only works in freezer mode. I have had my unit shut down my power due to both high and low voltage many times. And I have been forewarned of bad ground and bad legs also. My new coach has a hard-wired system, but I have kept my portable EMS unit to verify conditions if the built-in shuts me down. I have also loaned it to others who have had issues. Last fall a rally guest at a park where I host occasionally had issues with his built-in unit. He thought the pedestal was bad because he was getting error messages. Before moving him I tested the pedestal with my unit and all showed as good. I let him use my unit for the next couple of days as a safety measure. Turned out he had a bad board, and it was a Progressive unit. They shipped him a new board the next day. Great company to deal with. My portable went bad after nearly 10 years. Even though it didn't have a lifetime warranty when I bought it, they sent me a new one for no charge!

ArlinV
2011 American Eagle 45B
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
...Never leave home with mine. Plus I always use it at home...
Same here, ours is built in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #50
doc

Appalachian Campers
a few years ago I did not have one in a CG in Kentucky and it would have meant will over a thousand to me to have had one. Bad pedestal - wired wrong
Progressive goes where we go now
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
We have stayed in rv parks for 25 years and have never used one or needed one, Never had a problem with electricity
...at least as far as you know. In had an ad board burned by low voltage the first year I owned my coach. I installed a TRC SurgeGuard that checks for correct wiring and monitors for high/low voltage. Several times it has cut power to the coach and I have found extreme low or extreme high voltage on the pedestal. Just last week it tripped numerous times due to fluctuating voltage from 109v to 135v. The park owner was busy trying to find the problem that only a few of us knew was happening ...those w/o protection were getting damage they were not aware of, and down the line when an appliance fails they won't have a clue why it happened.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our first trip to a GC and we have faithfully read advice on IRV2. We listened when you told us "Buy an EMS!" We purchased the Progressive PT -50C. Who would have guessed that on our 1st night out the surge guard would not let us hook up to the pedestal! CG Host suggested that we hookup W/O our surge guard and we refused. It was a long and rather loud night, but feel sure that we were saved from possible damage from low voltage. CG Host loaned us a longer cord so that we could hook up to the pedestal on the other side and now we are SAfELY using GC power. Thanks for keeping us from creating problems for ourselves!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are HYPE until you hit a electrical hook up that has a problem. I lived without one for a couple of years. All HYPE was a Reason not to buy one. Well, one bad day I hooked up to pedestal where there was a problem. NO Problem! Yea rite! It cost me over $3,000 Dollars. Mother board on Dometic frig, 1 microwave replaced, 2 Tv's replaced, did I mention the stero (110 version), Surround sound system. Yep, it is all HYPE until you hit a bad wire pedestal. Now before I hook up or even back into a site I test the pedestal with a tester from Richard (dr4film look him up on this site). If the tester shows no problem then I back in, plug into my Progressive dynamics 50 amp portable tester. I leave it in the electrical bay on a short pigtail so it does NOT get exposed to elements or stolen. Yep, they are all Hype till you find that one pedestal not wired correctly. safe hook ups.... ed
Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #54

When we purchased our first rv, a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga, I didn't think I needed one. At the rv parks I saw several of these units and thought it would be nice to have one. However, the cost was more than I wanted to pay. But, when I traded that in for a 2007 Tiffin Open Bay I wasn't taking any chances. After much research I went with the Progressive Industries 50 amp detachable unit. Interestingly enough, the first time we took the coach out (to a park we frequented before) the unit detected a power drop and went on the defense. Fortunately, no harm was done to the coach. Now, I never plug in without it.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #55

I think they are like awning locks....you don't know you need one until you REALLY know you NEEDED one
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently spent five months plugged into our sons home wiring in a fairly new home and twice during that time our Progressive unit shut down because of low voltage ( the silent killer). Glad we have it.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote