Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Surge Suppressors, Is It Just Hype?

DW saw the ad in Motorhome magazine for surge suppressors for RV's. We had just hired an electrician to put in a 50 amp line to the RV driveway, and so she wanted to know what I thought about using a suppressor at home as well as travel.
Much to her surprise, I admitted I didn't know. Can someone help restore my reputation as a "know it all" and clue me in about how much of a threat electrical spikes really are to RV's.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
All I can say is it only takes one severe electrical spike to ruin your day. Never leave home with mine. Plus I always use it at home.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

It's not just electrical spikes that can do damage. There is more potential from mis-wired or loose wired electrical posts at RV parks. A protector like the ones from Progressive Industries can protect from many of these issues, including low or high voltage. They come in hard-wired and portable models. I always used a portable unit until I bought the new coach, which has it built in.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

A must have, better than replacing thousands of dollars of electronics.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We would not be without one. Here is ours and the best price we found Amazon.com: Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge: Automotive

They also make permanent installation models if you are worried about theft but it can be locked up if you are crafty enough. It will also work if you are connected to 30A or even 20.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I purchased a surge protector with voltage protection this year. I have not found a mis-wired pedestal pedestal in my travels, but I do find parks with all kinds of voltage levels. After monitoring the voltage levels last year, I purchased a surge protector with voltage over/under protection and it also checks for the mis-wired pedestal.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Hype is what my neighbors found with fried electronics, fridges, A/C units, on and on, in only 2 occurances....while all I had to do was wait for my PT-50C to reset and bring the power back on for my coach.

That and it identified 4 pedestals with bad neutral.

Other than that it is pure hype.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, I have one too for sure!

I happen to have a pole mounted 50 amp I was about to list in the classifieds. PM me if you like.

I eventually found someone who could install my inline protector under the bed, so now I have a spare. First shop said it couldnt be done, so I bought a pole mount for the interim.. that's how serious I thought it was to have one.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

It's like insurance, you don't need it until you need it.

I bought the Progressive Industries EMSLCHW50 and hard wired it myself. I didn't want another display in the coach and I simply watch it when I hook up, let it do its thing, then relax the rest of the time knowing I'm protected from under/over voltage and spikes.

I'm sure it saved me during a lightning storm in Indiana two years ago when the whole campground went dim then dark several times. My EMS went off and on about 5 times during that storm. I just sat in the front and watched without a care.

Link to mine:
Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I use Progressive at home and on the road.
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a new coach (Winnebago Journey 36M) which has a hard wired EMS (but mid-level). The salesman said we did not need anything else, but after reading suggestions in this forum we decided to purchase the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C for $431 including shipping and tax from Progressive. We figure it is cheaper than replacing the built in suprressor one time.... EMS-PT50C
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joseph, I personally would not be without an EMS (not just surge protection) on my RV! There are just too many things that can happen out there that could wipe out all the electrical equipment in your unit.

I strongly recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C if you want a hardwired version. They also have a portable version of this. This unit gives you full protection against surges, low or high voltage, loss of neutral, etc. This company provides the best warranty and tech support out there!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Joseph, I personally would not be without an EMS (not just surge protection) on my RV! There are just too many things that can happen out there that could wipe out all the electrical equipment in your unit.

I strongly recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C if you want a hardwired version. They also have a portable version of this. This unit gives you full protection against surges, low or high voltage, loss of neutral, etc. This company provides the best warranty and tech support out there!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
X2 on the Progressive Ind. very good product.
Progressive Industries
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Bought a 30 amp unit for my last motorhome many years ago. When I bought my new motorhome last year the very first thing I bought for it was a 50 amp unit from Progressive.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote