Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

RV Tips Migraine Sufferers ?

Any of you deal with migraines, but still enjoying RVing? I have them now, but still would like to RV. Don't want to give up that means of relaxation.

I have light, sound and noise sensitvities, when I'm fighting one.

Here's what I've done:

About to start getting massages to see if that helps.
Seeing a Neuro.
Put a darker shade on skylight in bathroom.
On some meds to help when they come on. Have a very dark interior to RV. dark countercops, dark brown shades of color inside. Keep it cool.
Lotsa of liquids on the road.
Limit caffiene to what Dr says is ok.
Knowing my triggers.
Gyn says it's shifting hormones.
I also believe it's barometric pressure change, when a storm rolls in or on cloudy days, the pressure in my head is awful.

Anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I usually use my ipad or iphone and they are on lowest setting. Try not to be on computer alot. But gotta live and work. lol

And I cant seem to find where to turn done the brightness on my main computer ( its about 8 yrs old) Can I get a screen that subdues the monitor, for when I need to do stuff on main computer ? Where can I find one, my screen is 17 inches across.

Thx for any help !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All screens should have brightness and contrast controls. It should be controlled by the switches on the front panel. Try searching the model number for a manual or instructions. My mother suffered from migrains. I hope you find some relief. God Bless You!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
DJJ

I have had migraines since I was a teenager. The best thing to do is find your triggers (alcohol, chocolate, nuts, cheese etc) to help cut down on the frequency and see a neurologist. I get Botox injections every 3 to 4 months which has helped significantly in both the severity and has reduced how often I get them. Also I take a prescription medication called Imitrex when I do get a migraine. The Imitrex works quit well in knocking out the migraine. Both the Botox and Imitrex are covered by my health insurance.

You already know the rest of what to do when you get one, cool, quiet and dark is where you want to be.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't have migranes, but sleep troubles... and a program I use to automatically change the light and color of the monitor screen is here https://justgetflux.com/ it has different adjustments you can make and an easy way to disable it for an hour or so for like when you are working with photos, etc. it doesn't mess with the color. might help. Costs nothing to check it out. ( actually it's a free program too.)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bella222".....Luckily they keep finding things that help. My brother gets migraines and I found it odd that he was taking a medication called Clonidine. I take Clonidine for blood pressure, an issue he doesn't have. He said his doctor found Clonidine was good for migraines.

Not all doctors are up on every medication and not all medications work for everyone. Just for the heck of it, ask your doctor about it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Drink lots and lots of water.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella222 View Post
Any of you deal with migraines, but still enjoying RVing? I have them now, but still would like to RV. Don't want to give up that means of relaxation.

I have light, sound and noise sensitvities, when I'm fighting one.

Here's what I've done:

About to start getting massages to see if that helps.
Seeing a Neuro.
Put a darker shade on skylight in bathroom.
On some meds to help when they come on. Have a very dark interior to RV. dark countercops, dark brown shades of color inside. Keep it cool.
Lotsa of liquids on the road.
Limit caffiene to what Dr says is ok.
Knowing my triggers.
Gyn says it's shifting hormones.
I also believe it's barometric pressure change, when a storm rolls in or on cloudy days, the pressure in my head is awful.

Anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I usually use my ipad or iphone and they are on lowest setting. Try not to be on computer alot. But gotta live and work. lol

And I cant seem to find where to turn done the brightness on my main computer ( its about 8 yrs old) Can I get a screen that subdues the monitor, for when I need to do stuff on main computer ? Where can I find one, my screen is 17 inches across.

Thx for any help !
I had them for years, completely knocked my socks off when they came on and I could tell right away when that was happening. Thought I was dying from brain tumor they were so bad but scans proved this to be false. I ended up going to a neurologist who put me on meds that were sometimes used for people with seizures and after a while it was like a miracle. I have not had a headache in 25 years. What I had was diagnosed as cluster migraines but I do not remember the name of the medication I took at the time, good luck with this.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Drink lots and lots of water.
When I get a bad one, I can't keep anything down,water ,medicine all come back up. Really bad ones last a week, but have not had one like that in about 10 years
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

How much do you think the Botox helped ? Was it painful.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

Thx, I do drink lots. I've had this one on going about 10 days and had to go in for fluids about 1 week ago. An antibiotic upset my stomach and led to it, I think. I just can't seem to get over the strong sensitivities are still there. Longest bout I've ever had and feeling quite discouraged about it. So trying to think of RVing again to lift my mood. Now I've developed sinus pressure, but no coughing or funny nose. Did a nasal rinse. Just would love to go a day without taking something. But at least I'm functioning again.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Our whole family suffers from migrants. Niece swears by the Botox. Mom and dad stopped getting migraines when they went on blood pressure medications. Mine are exercise induced (anaerobic) so I quit exercising lol.

Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

my wifes Dr. gradually weaned her off caffeine. It took a year to completely switch from regular to decaf coffee. All sodas must be caffeine-free, no chocolate. It works, now she has 2-4 a year instead of 4-8 a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I had them for years, completely knocked my socks off when they came on and I could tell right away when that was happening. Thought I was dying from brain tumor they were so bad but scans proved this to be false. I ended up going to a neurologist who put me on meds that were sometimes used for people with seizures and after a while it was like a miracle. I have not had a headache in 25 years. What I had was diagnosed as cluster migraines but I do not remember the name of the medication I took at the time, good luck with this.
I had a friend who had cluster headaches. He said his turning point was one day he was rolling around on the bedroom floor with this, and he wanted to shoot himself but could not find his gun because of the pain. He finally found a migrane/cluster headache clinic in Chicago that had a solution. Hard to believe, but it was nose drops with cocaine in it. He had to drive to Chicago every time he ran out to buy more, and was limited to X number of vials a year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

I've had severe classic migraines for many years, tried about every drug available with limited results. So bad sometimes could not see, talk and lost feeling in parts of body. Even went through biofeedback training which works but is not practical in most situations. Then 15 years ago a doctor who said he had migraines, suggested trying MIDRIN (isometheptene) and it works for me every time. I take two when I get the first signs and 15-20 later all is well. May not work for everyone but it has been a blessing for me.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had migraines many years ago and when I cut out aspiration I no longer had them. I was trying to keep my weight under control and when I got hungry between meals I would drink a diet soda. Doc. told me to stop that and I have not had them since. I'm fine with Splenda.