Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
RV toilets

We have a Thetford SeaLand 510 plus that came with our MH. We have gone through the entire seal, ball, valve, bottom seal, clean the seal dance and are thinking there must be a better way.

Is there a better alternative? I understand the 12V models use a lot of water and that would be a bad thing for us as we occasionally camp where there is no sewer connection. What do you have and is it better?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What are you asking? Is there a leak somewhere? Sorry I am not sure what your looking for?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
What are you asking? Is there a leak somewhere? Sorry I am not sure what your looking for?
Tim
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am tired of fooling around trying to keep the old one working and not leaking so I'm looking for a new and better working model.

I the last year or two we have had the thing apart to repair it a couple of times and replaced about every part short of the entire thing. It still can't hold water half the time and I just got through loosening the band clamp, readjusting and tightening it so it would stop leaking. A very small leak and that seems to have solve it but another fix.

If there is something within reason out there I would be happy to invest in it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am tired of fooling around trying to keep the old one working and not leaking so I'm looking for a new and better working model.

I the last year or two we have had the thing apart to repair it a couple of times and replaced about every part short of the entire thing. It still can't hold water half the time and I just got through loosening the band clamp, readjusting and tightening it so it would stop leaking. A very small leak and that seems to have solve it but another fix.

If there is something within reason out there I would be happy to invest in it.
IC we have a Thetford Aqua Magic, Its going on 32 years old and we just had to replace the flush valve $35.00 We had the problem of it not holding water but after being in use again it started to hold water. The half of a cup of the pink Antifreeze I put in it about 1 1/2 months ago is still there. I am trying to keep the MH all original. Check out PPL they have them in the range of $125.00 on up they carrie just about any kind possible. Great place to find just about anything for the MH.
Let use know what you do? Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Instructions for many toilets say to let flush lever SNAP back as opposed to easy release. Check your instructions. We used two years with no problem. Started leaking - read instructions - cleaned ball - let er snap and now no more problems, unless someone forgets to let it snap back.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Do you use a water filter? Sometimes trash in the water stream can get in the valve and cause problems. Look a reviews and ask questions. There are tons of toilets out there and PPL is good and with several others. You have to decide which toilet is right for you.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
I am serious considering a Niagara Stealth 0.8 GPF toilet to replace the 210 in my Jayco. Stealth Toilet - Ultra-High-Efficiency-Toilet by Niagara Conservation
If I believe the weights on Amazon the tank and bowl are about 53 pounds. It might be too heavy for my application but probably not for an A.
>>Edit. Just looked at the Amazon listing again and the round front/tank combo is 53# and not 80# I was thinking. Better than I thought...
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A quick look on line brings up these examples. From what I have read what ever you get make sure it matches the flange in your MH for number of bolts.

I am sure you have done a good job trying to replace everything but I am also sure the the 510 is a really easy piece of equipment to work on and to keep in repair. So my hunch is you may have something which cannot be corrected, a really bad unit, or you are missing something. A good 510 is a terrible thing to waste.

Good luck shopping and I certainly hope you wind up "dry camping" soon.

gohttp://www.campingworld.com/http://www.adventurerv.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=toilet+-aria&categories_id=38&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_i d=&pfrom=50&pto=200&dfrom=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&dto=mm%2F dd%2Fyyyy&gclid=COj7xrjD7roCFQE6QgodrkgAegcategory/rv-toilets/429 Thetford RV Trailer Permanet Toilet Toilets Aqua Magic V Bravura Aria Style Electra Magic Porta Potti
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try again to paste these:

Thetford RV Trailer Permanet Toilet Toilets Aqua Magic V Bravura Aria Style Electra Magic Porta Potti

RV Toilets, Marine Toilets, Dometic & Aqua-Magic Toilets - Camping World

RV Toilets - Dometic
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Instructions for many toilets say to let flush lever SNAP back as opposed to easy release. Check your instructions. We used two years with no problem. Started leaking - read instructions - cleaned ball - let er snap and now no more problems, unless someone forgets to let it snap back.
The DW has the Soft touch and the toilet leaks I just let my foot slide off and it snaps closed. also after I run a little water into the bowl. Works fine for me
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We have a Thetford SeaLand 510 plus that came with our MH. We have gone through the entire seal, ball, valve, bottom seal, clean the seal dance and are thinking there must be a better way.

Is there a better alternative? I understand the 12V models use a lot of water and that would be a bad thing for us as we occasionally camp where there is no sewer connection. What do you have and is it better?
HD4Mark
My Sealand 510 toilet is 17 years old.
I replaced the flush ball seal 6 years ago when it would no longer hold water in the bowl.
Since then, (if/when the bowl does not hold water), I simply use full strength CLR in the bowl.... let it sit... work the flush ball and repeat.
That rejuvenates the flush ball seal for another 6 months to a year.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

Mineral deposits may build up in certain areas of the country, and a squirt of CLR every now and then keeps then at bay.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
We have the Thetford Aria Deluxe !! electronic toilet in our coach. It was already installed in the coach when we purchased it. The flush mechanism broke soon after purchasing the coach and the replacement kit was $125.49 plus shipping for a total of $142.27. The part that broke is a teflon worm gear that is replaceable (in my opinion) and should cost maybe a buck. But, if it breaks, you have to replace the whole flush mechanism because they don't sell just the teflon gear. Anyway, there are 2 settings on the flush mechanism. One for "Residential mode" - which uses more water or one for "User control/water saver mode" which uses no more water than a traditional RV toilet. The toilet is larger in size than a traditional RV toilet (the one we have is the "high profile" which my DW really appreciates) so before you buy and try to install it, you should get the dimensions for the electronic toilet and make sure you have the room to install it. The unit operates flawlessly (unless the drive gear breaks) but is a little noisy (if you are concerned about strange grinding noises coming from your commode!). Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Aria II: Aria Deluxe II. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the unit that I may not have answered.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks everyone. I have no problem repairing the thing, just kind of tired of it. Was just looking for opinions from real world (all of use here) opinions on how their RV toilet works. We know most of the tricks from experience like slamming the ball shut, cleaning the gasket (CLR is a great idea though) and replacing parts. I did a search and looked at lots of them. There really aren't many different companies you can buy from, lots of models though. Residential models are out do to the amount of water used and I don't think any will clear the distance to the wall behind. I'm fearful of electrics after an RV tech told me he had one that stuck in flush and guess what happened after the black tank filled

No plans to replace it until after spring since I can keep it in operation until then and we are back to the stick house after staying somewhere warm. Some ideas and time to think about it are great. Sort of needed to vent after fixing it for the umpteenth time.