Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean757 View Post
The 407 around Toronto Ontario charged about $85.00 for 56 km. includes $50 photo fee for 40 ft phaeton and $4.00 for toad + miles / km .
I know somebody who has ran that route three times in the last several years and has yet to get a bill from the company.
The saving grace is the bumper sticker on the back bumper of his motorhome which states, "MAFIA Don On Vacation"

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #30

RV Tolls Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseason View Post
Easy fix. Stay off toll roads unless absolutely necessary.

Yep!
I have a much more satisfying journey by avoiding tolls, and often freeways too! Americana is waiting to be seen and enjoyed.
By avoiding the PATP I save over a hunert bucks and "spend" only an extra 45 minutes.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
During two recent trips, Boston to Maine, we took different routes and drove our car on one trip and the RV on the other. For two toll plazas we went through during both trips, we paid $3 for the car and $10.50 for the RV on the Maine Turnpike, and $2 for the car and $5 for the RV in New Hampshire. We just write it off as a cost of enjoying the RV lifestyle. As in another cost: getting 7 mpg for the RV vs. 27 mpg for the Fusion. Don't like tolls? There are always alternate, slower and more scenic routes available. Sometimes we take them, and sometimes we just want to get to where we're going.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #32

In California I crossed the Oakland bay bridge 3 axle MH and towed $25. It would have been much less had they been unhooked. About a week or so later I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and the toll booths are closed, you are instructed to call a number and pay the toll within time limits or a fine will be imposed. I called the number it was the weekend there was a message they are closed on the weekends. I called the # given on Monday from the LA area and reached the LA area toll information # they knew nothing about the bay bridge toll. After a great deal of searching I finally contacted the Bay area toll collectors, they gave me instructions about paying on line which I did, although you are not given and amount they just take your credit card information and provide a receipt that you paid some unknown amount. This was several months ago, to this date they have not charged my credit card. Some system.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Instead of disconnecting, have the DW sit in the TOAD.

Stop the MH, pay your toll, then pull up a little and let the DW pay her toll.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
While the expense is steep on nearly every toll road (Mass Pike isn't bad) IMO it's not correct to call it an RV ripoff. RVs pay the exact same rate as the trucks & trailers that deliver our everyday goods, including food & fuel. We all pay for those tolls, as part of just about every single thing we buy. And there still isn't enough money to maintain the highways & bridges the way they should be done. It's passenger cars that get a special price break, cause passenger cars = voters and the pols don't want the general electorate PO'd at them.

Just my $0.02, even though it is surely not a popular opinion.
FWIW I can't say about motorhomes but the last I knew the accepted number for a heavy truck like a semi or the big dumps is the equivalent wear/mile of 70,000 passenger cars. The issue is a lot more weight per unit area of the tire footprint. Given that who is getting the break? ;-)

FWIW2 According to their web site NYS Thruway E-Zpass toll for a vehicle registered as a motor home is the same as a passenger car with the same number of axles. If you run the Thruway it is worth checking with them. It might be worth checking with other states.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
While the expense is steep on nearly every toll road (Mass Pike isn't bad) IMO it's not correct to call it an RV ripoff. RVs pay the exact same rate as the trucks & trailers that deliver our everyday goods, including food & fuel. We all pay for those tolls, as part of just about every single thing we buy. And there still isn't enough money to maintain the highways & bridges the way they should be done. It's passenger cars that get a special price break, cause passenger cars = voters and the pols don't want the general electorate PO'd at them.

Just my $0.02, even though it is surely not a popular opinion.
I don't have a problem with paying tolls. I do have a problem paying $1.75 for my 2 axle motorhome and then paying $3.50 for the 2 axle Jeep being toed behind it . If I stopped before tollbooth, disconnected and had wife drive it thru, the Jeep would have been $1.75
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
...About a week or so later I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and the toll booths are closed, you are instructed to call a number and pay the toll within time limits or a fine will be imposed. I finally contacted the Bay area toll collectors, they gave me instructions about paying on line which I did, although you are not given and amount they just take your credit card information and provide a receipt that you paid some unknown amount. This was several months ago, to this date they have not charged my credit card. Some system.
They started this about - 5 years ago to "save money" so the Golden Gate Bridge Authority wouldn't have to pay toll takers salaries, benefits, and retirement. Everything is now being recorded by electronic/video means.

What they didn't particularly count were the motorcycles that could zip by without being recorded, newly purchased cars without license plates, and the large number tourists driving rental cars that they wouldn't be able to collect from. It's been estimated that as much as $2 million may be lost annually from these tolls, justnbecause the toll takers are no longer there to see them.

So much for saving a buck!
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #37

FWIW that is probably less than the cost of manning the booths 24x7 considering a couple of toll takers and their supervision.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
The highest toll so far has been in Maryland (3 axle MH + toad = $58.00 on I95 plus an additional $10.00 about 11 miles further up the road)

Where exactly was that in Maryland?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
PA. Toll road charges triple the amount if you are pulling a RV trailer. "Each" axle on the RV trailer is charged the same as another vehicle. So I get charged what 3 pick-ups would pay. Hence I try to avoid using it....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Maryland and Delaware have some toll roads that run parallel to non toll roads so you have to pay to get around the gridlock on the non toll road.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Maryland and Delaware have some toll roads that run parallel to non toll roads so you have to pay to get around the gridlock on the non toll road.
There are no NONE TOLL roads parallel in MD or DE or NJ or NY to get around water crossings. The specific toll mentioned was the CBB Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Annapolis Western Shore to Kent Island Eastern Shore. The alternative is to go north on 95 where you will hit the crossing of the Susquehanna River. That toll can be avoided by going a little south over the Havre DeGrace Bridge toll OR go much further south and cross over the bottom of the Cheaspeake from Virginia Beach area (TOLL) or go north to rt1 and cross over the conowingo dam roadway (FREE but 25 miles and an hour drive).

We travel this area all the time. there are few go arounds for some small tolls but the river crossing always cost. Try getting out of NJ and not pay an exit toll. it won't happen with an RV. $20 with a trailer or toad.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
<< Clip >>
Biggest ripoff is a motorcycle pulling a trailer. It is three axles and that is what you pay for. Only have 4 tires!

Roger on that. and less then 1000 pounds TOTAL....OK, 1300 with 2 people
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote