Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

RV Tolls Rant

Just a bit of a rant on the rip off some toll authorities are continuing to pull on RVers pulling toads.

Yesterday I ran eastbound across the Lane Memorial Bridge (The Chesapeake Bay Bridge) on US 50 in Maryland. In July there was an announcement made with great fanfare about the toll authority lowering the rates on this and other bridges and toll roads. However, the actual fact is that the rates were only selectively lowered for some very limited classes of vehicles and RV's are still getting ripped off. A three axle RV toll is listed as $8.00 and a 5 axle unit (RV + toad) is charged $24 or 25 depending on if the EZ pass is commercial or non commercial.

If the RV and toad are driven across separately, charges are $8 for the RV and $4 or $2.50 for the toad. The toad difference here here depends on whether you have a Maryland EZ Pass or an other EZ Pass. These are the SAME tolls as existed before the much heralded "TOLL DECREASE". So--The RVers get screwed for pulling a toad vs driving it and out-of-stater's get screwed again with no toll reductions.

An example of how it should be done is the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan where the price of pulling a toad is not increased over the price of driving an RV and a toad separately.

Just as a point of principal, DW and I disconnect the RV/toad just before crossing Maryland bridges and reconnect 100' past the toll plaza. It's not the $12, it's the principal. Just be aware.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Just a bit of a rant on the rip off some toll authorities are continuing to pull on RVers pulling toads.

Yesterday I ran eastbound across the Lane Memorial Bridge (The Chesapeake Bay Bridge) on US 50 in Maryland. In July there was an announcement made with great fanfare about the toll authority lowering the rates on this and other bridges and toll roads. However, the actual fact is that the rates were only selectively lowered for some very limited classes of vehicles and RV's are still getting ripped off. A three axle RV toll is listed as $8.00 and a 5 axle unit (RV + toad) is charged $24 or 25 depending on if the EZ pass is commercial or non commercial.

If the RV and toad are driven across separately, charges are $8 for the RV and $4 or $2.50 for the toad. The toad difference here here depends on whether you have a Maryland EZ Pass or an other EZ Pass. These are the SAME tolls as existed before the much heralded "TOLL DECREASE". So--The RVers get screwed for pulling a toad vs driving it and out-of-stater's get screwed again with no toll reductions.

An example of how it should be done is the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan where the price of pulling a toad is not increased over the price of driving an RV and a toad separately.

Just as a point of principal, DW and I disconnect the RV/toad just before crossing Maryland bridges and reconnect 100' past the toll plaza. It's not the $12, it's the principal. Just be aware.
Just was in Florida, Motorhome was $1.75, toad (Jeep Wrangler) was $3.50, then they have toll by plate where fees are the same but they add $2.50 admin fee to send you the bill, no chance to pay cash. Cant wait to see that bill.

Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

The State of New York just send me a new E-zPass box (blue) to be used for the motorhome towing a car. Then I got a bill for several very expensive tolls on roads we were never on before in my life. Then I noticed the toll dates were before I got the box! The young sounding thing on the phone said "Oh that was the UPS truck delivering the box. Somehow the box must have slipped out of the protective envelope!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #4

I agree - it's not fair. However, I have paid tolls on interstates and bridges and a few other places. The tolls generally are worth the cost since a detour is both time and fuel - both of which cost more than the shorter distance the toll covers. The government is just finding another way to cover R&M costs since the public keeps refusing to raise taxes to pay for everything they want.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Let me see if I got this right.....

To "save" 12 clams you took 1/2 to 3/4 hour unhooking/attaching your Toad on a busy highway?????? And you did this for every MD toll bridge?

That's nutz!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Don't worry...you will, plus a nice fat administrative fee. And you do mail forwarding and miss the pay date, get ready for more admin/penalty. FL is a rip off.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Hang in there, it's gonna get worse sometime in 2016. The new Northbound bridge over the Ohio river at Louisville will be an electronic toll only, and operate the same way.
I forget how many years ago the administration said all interstates in the U.S.A. should be toll to cover maintenance and upgrades.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If it helps "Congress passed Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) in 2012 which required:

"all Federal-aid highway toll facilities implement technologies or business practices that provide for the interoperability of electronic toll collection by October 1, 2016".

So if all goes according to plan, a year from now you can use your EZ-Pass, I-Pass, SunPass, K-Tag at any electronic toll facility.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Maryland toll collector told me if I stop to disconnect and reconnect I would get a ticket for stopping in traffic.Old crow, not sure what kind of setup you have but mine does not take 1/2 3/4 hour to disconnect and reconnect.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has nothing to do with the money.........well its a nice byproduct. Big brother is tracking you.......everybody got on their tin foil hats?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #11

The DRPA, operating the 4 bridges over the Delaware River between NJ and PA, charge, separately, $15 for my RV and $5 for the car, but $30 if it's RV and Toad!
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the interstates in northern Virginia have some sort of tolling on them. This is the state's solution to reducing gridlock. Just make it too expensive to drive. Ridiculous!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Same in Texas on the 130 toll road - charged twice for one vehical and toad - should be like pulling a trailer but much better than the traffic on 35 through Austin.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post

Man, that's a ripoff for sure!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote