Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
RV Trader/ Craigs list Selling

Hi all

We are going to be selling our 2015 Tiffin 35QBA and would appreciate input from those that may be able to give me some guidance or direction. Thanks for your help.

John Bronson

jcbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
When I listed our Class C on Craigslist ~7 years ago we the only calls we got were from people wanting to help us sell ours. PITA really.

If you do list on Craigslist I notice that a lot of people will spell out portions of the phone number, I think it makes it harder for scammers to find it.

No history with RV Trader although I do search in it sometimes.

When we were selling ours I was able to park it next to a high traffic road with a sign in the window. Had lots of people stop, look, and call. I would then arrange a meeting to let them look at it.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Over the years I have sold both a motorhome and travel trailer using RVTrader. Both were positive experiences. The motorhome buyer traveled from Washington State to Southern California and purchased based on phone conversations.

I bought our latest trailer after finding it in a Craigslist ad. All 3 experiences were smooth and positive, no problems.
2007 Jeep Commander tows:
2005 Fleetwood Niagara
Sespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Just sold a 2014 Winnebago on Craigslist.

I advertised it in my area, Miami, Jacksonville & Orlando. total of 4 Adds-my buyer came out of Miami-we took about 3 weeks to inspect & settle up. Really nice folks.

Put in about 10 pics-mostly good campsite pics-in the snow, in the mountains, with a campfire, by the water. Had a couple of interior pics too.

Take everything out of it-make it look as new as possible-No Rattles or Noises

Clean it up! Get it serviced, Fix everything, Be sure Tires are good & Smooth, have it full of fuel- Keep removing the add & reentering the add-to get it in the fresh adds.

I paid $40 for an add in Rv On-Line, but did not get a call.

A couple of Dealers called-and I found out what they would pay-Don't disrespect any buyer-it's OK if they will not pay what you want.

I had another potential buyer in the wings-waiting for the eventual buyer to get done.

Yes-there are flakes out there-but there are lots of good folks that can't handle the brain damage that has to be endured at an RV dealership. You only need one Legitimate Buyer.

Good Luck
Stuart, Fl
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We currently have an ad on Craigslist and this site. Only problem is scammers. But they are pretty easy to notice and I just don't reply anymore. Had some calls, one today actually, we will see.
Lots of dealers will call, and we are always nice to them as you never know.....
We have actually had more interest parking it at the sale lot at Patrick AFB.
Try whatever you can, but please be cautious of personal info.
BTW, place it several places in your state on Craigslist...lots of pictures too.
Andi & Jim from Florida
Labs: Tank, Roxy & Russell
& Sometimes Grandbassett Lucy
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
When I wasn't sure of an exact single model I was looking for, I always appreciated the ads that included a floorplan graphic.
2007 Jeep Commander tows:
2005 Fleetwood Niagara
Sespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
First, clean your RV and remove all of your stuff. Second, search Craigslist or wherever to see what your competition would be and what their asking prices are. Third, value your RV using NADA. Try to price your RV at the lower end of what others are asking. Take plenty of pictures and write a good description of your RV. Do not try to hide anything like high mileage or damage or price. This will cut down on the number of responses but will deliver better qualified buyers and waste less of your time. Unless you want problems don't listen to any sob stories, or trades or payments. I have used this formula in selling my personal vehicles for over 40 years and I have always sold them for more than the blue book price and to the first person who looked at it.
2008 Winnebago Aspect E450 26A. Oh, yeah, the wife and geriatric Beagle, Irwin, come along too.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
John, one MAJOR recommendation, especially on Craigslist! On any inquiry, tell them that you can only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and yours! Anything else is a BIG risk!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Good experiences

I have had good success with Craigslist. I have sold 2 RV's (travel trailers), a car, a truck, and 3 boats on there. There are some scammers, and most are not too bright and fairly easy to sort out. I have included 4 or 5 pictures, and full description with key points, that are important to buyers. Any one who has shopped on Craigslist, where I have purchased 4 boats, a travel trailer and motorhome over the years, and many other items, will know pictures are of limited value, they always look good in small, computer pictures, and of course you never know when they were taken anyway, so I use them to get a good "overview" of colors, floor plans and key components, I would think no one would buy sight unseen, but in the case of your's being so new, maybe they would. I have stopped putting phone number on adds and has not really impacted response, use the craigslist email, so they have none of your personal information unless you give it to them. Much more helpful in sorting out scammers, dealers, tire kickers etc. If you are going to be willing to negotiate price start with a price that will attract folks, if you are at your bottom price and it is a good deal, tell them that. I sold my previous boat, 30 foot cruiser, for exactly what I listed it for, it was my bottom line price, better than any nearby "competitors" and I told all responders so. Listed it as Firm, and sold it in 4 days! It was a good deal and folks who were serious buyers knew it.

Use common sense, screen folks before meeting, i.e. get phone number, name and information and if suspicious meet somewhere public first time, parking lot, mall, etc. Careful who you invite to your home. Ask about how they plan to pay and how long it will take to get funds, I have done most of the larger transactions at my bank, or theirs, with cashiers checks verifiable and immediately negotiable. Have used wired funds too.

Hope this helps, I personally have had no success with pay online services and most calls came from brokers wanting to sign a contract, avoid them.

Good luck!
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Never ever post a phone number.

Always indicate your work hours vary so it is best to make first contact via email.

If they can see the add they have access to email so zero reason to post number.

Sold many assorted items and never an issue.

The scam emails are easy to avoid and no calls.

Also make sure photos cannot identify where you are as you only want interested (in buying not harvesting) parties to touch it.

Remember back to what caught your attention when buying your mh and make that clear in your adds.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
We've sold and bought via CL.

As others have said, clean your stuff out & take lots of focused pictures. You WILL get a lot of spam, offers to help you sell it and plenty of questions from those just wanting information to help them decide what they want (we had LOTS of those).

I offered to take additional pics of whatever someone wanted to see & answered all questions when we advertised ours.

Good luck!
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
Agree with TQ60 ... never put a phone number on Craigslist. After someone contacts you via email and you are comfortable they are real (not a scam), then you can exchange phone numbers. I've sold one MH, several pickup trucks, and several cars on Craigslist without any problems. We are cautious about meeting the buyers and the last car we just sold was this past weekend and we met the party at the local police station (this may not be possible with a RV). Also note, there are several search engines that will search all of craigslist across the entire country, so helps if you don't place your add in several different locations.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #13
I've bought, and sold on CL.
As far as giving your phone number, that's a 2-way street. I ALWAYS give mine, and am reluctant (sometimes) to inquire about an item I'm really interested in if their number isn't listed.

I'll text a person. Give them a lot of info about me so they know I'm not from India or Pakistan or .........

Yes, I get lots of scammers too. But I just have fun with them. I've gotten lots of bogus checks from them too. I know they're scams, so I just play with them. Kind of fun.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all for the posts. Have had lots of interest, just need a nibble. We too, have sold many things on CL, but haven't had the scam artists come out of the closet quite like this ad, most likely because of the price point I'm assuming.
We've posted to several large cities and dealers just want to save us from the hassle of selling our RV...rrright!

Andi & Jim from Florida
Labs: Tank, Roxy & Russell
& Sometimes Grandbassett Lucy
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote