Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see any relief of the 400 sg. ft. limitation on RV trailers anytime soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CTPA Board Also Takes Issue with RVIA Proposal
RV Business
Thursday, July 5, 2007

The board of directors of the California Travel Parks Association Inc. (CTPA) has joined the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC) and the Recreation Park Trailer Industry Association (RPTIA) in opposing the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association's (RVIA) "action and intent to expand the travel trailer and fifth-wheel size limits beyond the current 400-square-foot limit."

CTPA, in a June 13 resolution, cited the following reasons in making its case against the controversial RVIA measure, a move that could take years to come to fruition and answers a need by the national trade association's leadership to accommodate larger slideout-equipped towables:

- The number of RV parks and campgrounds capable of accommodating many of these larger units is limited and would create additional consumer dissatisfaction;

- As sizes increase, the lines blur between what is an RV and what is considered livable housing, and state, county and local governments will be more likely to consider these units as mobile homes and begin to regulate them as such;

- California's county and local governments are already beginning to count RV sites toward meeting their low-income housing requirements. Larger units would only exacerbate the situation. Cities fearing the loss of federal funds for low-income housing are placing more and more restrictions and regulations on parks;

- Special driver's licenses may be needed to tow larger units. This could have a trickle-down effect on smaller types of recreational vehicles, causing consumers to think twice before purchasing a unit;

- With greenhouse emission regulations on the increase, specifically here in California, larger units may exceed passenger-vehicle towing capabilities;

- Many RV parks do not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the increased electrical requirements these units are going to need.

"It is the desire of the California Travel Parks Association board of directors to maintain the recreation nature of our business rather than merging and blending it into the residential and housing industry," the resolution stated.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see any relief of the 400 sg. ft. limitation on RV trailers anytime soon.

Quote:
CTPA Board Also Takes Issue with RVIA Proposal
RV Business
Thursday, July 5, 2007

The board of directors of the California Travel Parks Association Inc. (CTPA) has joined the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC) and the Recreation Park Trailer Industry Association (RPTIA) in opposing the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association's (RVIA) "action and intent to expand the travel trailer and fifth-wheel size limits beyond the current 400-square-foot limit."

CTPA, in a June 13 resolution, cited the following reasons in making its case against the controversial RVIA measure, a move that could take years to come to fruition and answers a need by the national trade association's leadership to accommodate larger slideout-equipped towables:

- The number of RV parks and campgrounds capable of accommodating many of these larger units is limited and would create additional consumer dissatisfaction;

- As sizes increase, the lines blur between what is an RV and what is considered livable housing, and state, county and local governments will be more likely to consider these units as mobile homes and begin to regulate them as such;

- California's county and local governments are already beginning to count RV sites toward meeting their low-income housing requirements. Larger units would only exacerbate the situation. Cities fearing the loss of federal funds for low-income housing are placing more and more restrictions and regulations on parks;

- Special driver's licenses may be needed to tow larger units. This could have a trickle-down effect on smaller types of recreational vehicles, causing consumers to think twice before purchasing a unit;

- With greenhouse emission regulations on the increase, specifically here in California, larger units may exceed passenger-vehicle towing capabilities;

- Many RV parks do not have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the increased electrical requirements these units are going to need.

"It is the desire of the California Travel Parks Association board of directors to maintain the recreation nature of our business rather than merging and blending it into the residential and housing industry," the resolution stated.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #3

John,
What is your point? I see this as positive decision-making. There are too many "big rigs" on the road already, and I'm not referring to the professional truckers hauling products.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #4

I got a chuckle last week just south of Grants Pass, OR when I saw a 1-ton towing a fifth wheel and a boat. Yikes!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get a chuckle out of some of the rigs we see. The rigs are big enough as it is in my opinion...but that is my opinion.

Sure some folks live in them full time, and they want every convenience they had at home. We lived in or previous 36.5' two slide 5er for a year and never felt cramped. It was a well designed and arranged trailer with enough storage for all of the necessities.

We have seen larger 5ers that would not store nearly as much gears as we could. Designers need to be smart like in the older trailers and use the space wisely. Sure wide open spaces look great, but we did not need the extra room.

If you notice what has happened to housing over the last 50 years. A starter home used to be about 1000 square feet and a family of 4 was fine there. Our 1900 square foot house is looked down on by many as being too small to even be a starter home. Couples now want to START at 2500 plus sq. ft.

This same though process has moved over into RVs. We went the other direction, we do not need to live in the RV now, so we went to a nice sized 29.5' vintage Silver Streak. Easier to keep up and easier to pull.

So I vote to keep the 400 sq.ft. max as it is currently.

Ken
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I would ask how big is big enough? Is a 50' long 5th wheel really practical for traveling? What is it going to be towed with, or is it just going to be parked somewhere as a second HOME. I think my 33' 5th wheel is too big. It is what we wanted because of the layout for the kids, but I had to sacrifice some state parks that I really enjoyed going too. I really think this bigger is better mentallity is hurting this country's economy and making it very hard for the middle income families to be able to have a comfortable life, because as everythig gets bigger and better, it gets more expensive and drive the cost of smaller up with it.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">John,
What is your point? I see this as positive decision-making. There are too many "big rigs" on the road already, and I'm not referring to the professional truckers hauling products. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No "point" either for/against the current size limitation intended -- information only. MH are excluded from the 400 sq.ft. limitation. We're very happy with our 35' 5th wheel and have no desire to go to a larger RV.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #8

Heres a rig I saw coming into candyland in Winchester, Va I was speachless...

Roadhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #9

John, you said "I have no point". so what then is the purpose of your post? You said "I see no relief in sight", which alludes to a desire to have larger square footage RV's. After the "I have no point" comment, the only purpose for your post is apparently is to spark controversy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote